Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

the_enigma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2005, 8:58 pm

Hi,

My name is Ashley and I'm 16 years old. I've been here before but I've never wrote a proper introduction.
When I was 2 my dx was mild autism, at 8 yrs old it was changed to language disorder and now I believe I have pdd-nos/hyperlexia.
I've been mainstreamed since 5th grade and I'm finishing 10th grade.
I'm interested in reading, writing and the Internet. I've never met other autistics/aspies until I went to a support group a month ago. I enjoyed being around those people very much and I'm so glad I have people to talk to.
I'm still unsure about exactly what form of autism--- if it's even autism related to begin with that I have. I know that I feel distant from the NTs because I don't have real friends, only acquaintances. Their conversations are so fast paced and random that I'm often at loss of what to say. Most of them appear not to be interested in me anyway and when they are it's for shallow reasons like they liked my shoes or hair.
I don't think I'm the stereotypical aspie either. As in the "geek syndrome" description. I don't care about computers, math or science (unless it involves DNA or genetics) and people have called me "ret*d" rather than genius or nerd.
I'm not trying to fit in to any group but not fitting in anywhere gets lonely sometimes.
This place has some interesting posts and cool people. If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 9:44 pm

Re-Welcome, Amanda!

I get so frustrated with how mean kids can be. My son was being called a "ret*d" this year in school. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! You better beleive the school got a nasty letter once I found out. They take bullying very serious but its hard to get a handle on. Luckily my son just considers himself a missunderstood genius. ( no self esteem issues there! :roll: )

The support group sounds really intersting! Is is teens only or a larger set?

BeeBee

the_enigma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2005, 9:57 pm

My name is Ashley, but I'm not mad at your mistake. :-)
It's mostly adults but there are a few teens in it. It's fun and the people are understanding and intelligent.
It's odd how half the NT adults I saw at the support group picnic gave me weird looks because I appeared "normal". I swear that I had urges to pull out an IEP of me when I was 3 for them to believe me.
I'm thinking of going to a therapist to get another diagnosis. I'm just curious to what I really have. I'm not AS but I'm just here because this place appeals to people throughout the spectrum.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 10:05 pm

Thank you for being so understanding Ashley! I am sorry! 8O Its late here but that's no excuse for being sloppy!

I can understand the urge to pull out the IEP! :lol: Some people can't look beyond what is right in front of them! My son posts in the kids forum and he's PDD-NOS not AS. You're right, its a very welcoming site.

Take care, Ashley!

BeeBee

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 12:05 am

Ello. *pounce!!*

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 2:25 am

Hi, the_enigma. I'm a self-diagnosed PDD-NOS person myself, so it's good to see another. Welcome to WrongPlanet!

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 2:27 am

Hey Ashlanda, welcome, welcome!!

Glad you like the support groups.

I am being encouraged to joining social groups at my society.
I will soon I think.

I hope it means for you somewhere you are free to be self. What kind of things does the group do? Was the picnic the first time you go?

Elfman's daily 'poor me' message, brought to you by "It's All About Me" free to air frequency.
Thankyou for you subscription!

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2005, 2:52 am

Hi and welcome!

Quote:
I had urges to pull out an IEP of me

What's an IEP?

the_enigma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2005, 5:04 am

IEP is "Individualized Education Program" it's just when a doctor evaluates somebody suspected to have a disorder and writes a report about their observations. They probably mostly do this for kids though, so maybe a diagnosed adult won't get one.
Sorry if I got this definition wrong, that's what I always thought an IEP was for some reason.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 5:18 am

Welcome back. :D

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 5:36 am

ElfMan wrote:
Hey Ashlanda, welcome, welcome!!

*wonders if that was a clever Morrowind reference*

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 5:36 am

I want an individualized education program. One where all we do is have someone lecture at me for 3 hours at a time, and there are no tests, no homework, and no grades.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 5:56 am

GROAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!

There, a welcome Groar. All new members now get one :D

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 6:03 am

Nomaken wrote:
I want an individualized education program. One where all we do is have someone lecture at me for 3 hours at a time, and there are no tests, no homework, and no grades.

Yes in school I always found that I learnt much more from simple discussions with my teachers before and after class than I ever did with the crazy rank based jumping through hoops system that they force us through. The current system isn't about learning at all, its about conforming.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 6:15 am

I'm seriously considering just going to college classes and sitting there and listening. Not signing up, just chilling out and listening every day.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 6:53 am

Yeah I think my sister does that for one of her subjects, so I'm pretty sure you can. I'm not sure what sort of fees they charge for it though.