Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 2:57 pm

Summer, how do I hate you? Let me count the ways.

1. Heat and humidity. I've always hated both with a passion. Perhaps there may be something to the "Neanderthal hypothesis" of autism after all...

2. Outdoor eating. Don't you just love the wasps and flies that want to share your food? Not to mention the mosquitoes that view YOU as food.

3. Sports. A sad and terrible waste of time, money, and energy IMO, made worse by the heat. Always HATED baseball. They just put me in deep right where I couldn't cause much damage in school.

4. The fact that most NTs see this as the best season of them all.

I've always loved Fall and early Winter best. Cool, crisp weather, cold is no big issue for me, love the changing foliage, and my three all time favorite holidays. That's another thing I hate about summer--no fun holidays. Just a usually to hot day celebrating some aristocratic slave owners who dupped a bunch of poor farmers into fighting and dying for them so they wouldn't have to pay their taxes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 5:47 pm

I'm the opposite. I love summer. I love being outdoors, wearing shorts and T-shirt and sandals, and just the summery atmosphere and the bright sunshine. It's lovely to wake up in the morning for work in the light and not the gloomy darkness. In the winter it's still dark when I get up for work, and I feel so miserable having to walk out in the icy cold outdoors. Walking to work on summer mornings are much more pleasant - even if it's raining it's still warm. And I love the trees being green and seeing all the pretty flowers and bushes. I hate it when autumn comes. And in the winter there's chance of snow and I don't like the snow. I don't like walking out in it. I like to be able to see the ground and the grass. And I hate being cold.

Yes I know there are flies and wasps in the summer, but in the winter there are airbourne viruses like vomiting and flu that spread quicker among humans than these viruses may do in the summer. I love the temperature being around 30 celcius. I put on sunblock and I make sure to take a flask of juice around with me. It's super.

8)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 7:52 pm

Like Joe90, I'm the opposite too. I love summer and also springtime because it leads into summer. I hate autumn and winter because I find those seasons very depressing.

To me, Spring and Summer are all about everything coming alive again -- flowers blooming, trees in full leaf again, animals being born and hatched. It's all very hopeful and cheerful. Brighter days, longer days to enjoy, mornings and evenings are no longer dark (where I live anyway). And although I'm not crazy about it being too hot and humid, I still much prefer warm weather over cold -- I despise feeling cold, hate it beyond words. It feels like hardship to feel cold, but it feels good to be warm.

Autumn depresses me because it's all about everything once again going into decline. Leaves fall off trees. Flowers die away. Darkness draws in, as does colder weather. And in the UK where I am, it presages a very long and miserable looking winter. Where I used to live in another part of the world, winter was mild and brief and thus not so fearsome. But here, it's miserable, cold, rainy, snowy at times, and this can last all the way to April.

Once Winter kicks in here, it's a long, chilly haul to the next time anything is nice, bright and warm again. The sky stays permanently "white" with cloud cover. The mornings are dark and the afternoons get dark at around 3.30pm! That's very depressing. My heating bills almost put me in the poorhouse this past winter.

I also find Christmas very depressing. I have no family and it just reminds me of when I did have a family life, and now I have just me. Christmas can be very hard emotionally on single people and people whose family of origin are no longer in their lives due to either death or estrangement or distance, or all three. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year have big expectations of "friends and family" built into them and that's tough on the people who don't have much of either and have to find a way to enjoy these occasions differently or not at all. These are not cheerful Holidays for me, but painful ones.

The place I used to live had 300 days of sunshine per year, but now where I've moved back to it feels like 300 days of winter per year. I hate it.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:38 pm

1. Heat and humidity. I've always hated both with a passion. Perhaps there may be something to the "Neanderthal hypothesis" of autism after all...

2. Outdoor eating. Don't you just love the wasps and flies that want to share your food? Not to mention the mosquitoes that view YOU as food.

3. Sports. A sad and terrible waste of time, money, and energy IMO, made worse by the heat. Always HATED baseball. They just put me in deep right where I couldn't cause much damage in school.

I've always loved Fall and early Winter best. Cool, crisp weather, cold is no big issue for me, love the changing foliage, and my three all time favorite holidays. That's another thing I hate about summer--no fun holidays. Just a usually to hot day celebrating some aristocratic slave owners who dupped a bunch of poor farmers into fighting and dying for them so they wouldn't have to pay their taxes.

where i live it does not get too hot/cold/humid.

you can move, if you want.

you do not have to eat outside. you can eat inside.

when i eat outside, wasps, flies and mosquitos do not bother me. or that could just be b/c of where i live.

try finding somewhere there are not that many wasps flies or mosquitos.

there is no law that says that you have to play baseball or other sports. nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you to play baseball. nobody hired you to play baseball. you do not have to play baseball or other sports.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 11:29 pm

drwho222 wrote:

I hate Summer as well and don't understand how anyone could like being hot and sweaty.

I hate not going for long walks it doesn't matter how early you get up to go for a walk you're still hot and sweaty.
you have to hibernate with the air conditioner on.
Then you have to put that horrible sun cream on that smells yuck.
Then you feel headachy and lethargic because of the hot weather.
You try and keep your garden alive as it gets dry quickly and then when there's a drought you're on water restrictions

For me winter is the best time of the year, nice long walks, not feeling lethargic and sick, no hot sun.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 11:51 pm

I basically become very low functioning in temperature above 15 degrees, it takes up all of my capacity to not go ballistic at the slightest transgression commited against my peace! I have to take precautions by having the right things around me to deal with the endless sensory bombardments and insidious fluctuations. I don't mind being outside but being outside is difficult to get to often, and then I have to pay when I get inside. Then there's the insect invasion or noise invasion to contend with if you dare open a portal aka window... you're damned either way when the sun has become too much of a blasting busybody! The light is not so much an issue because cold or hot whatever, the intensity of light is constant when the jovial cloud traffic is fleeting. Temperature is like sand in a colander, there's way too many areas it pecks away at.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 12:50 am

drwho222 wrote:

never heard of that hypothesis before, but i can't stand those either. we get more of a moderately moist hear here in socal, and since it;s near the coast it doesn't get too terribly scorching. rarely does it go above 100 even on the worst days, whereas in, say the inland empire or in bakersfield, up to 120 F can be regular on a july afternoon it's awful.

i need a blanket to sleep, and trying to to that in the summer is torture (relatively speaking...)

it's not easy to follow one's obligation to be frugal with water in the desert AND maintain a relatively clean, unsmelly self with regular showers.

drwho222 wrote:

mosquitoes want your blood, not your flesh. and i'm sure there are plenty of ways to repel them anyway.

they seem to be attracted to certain subsets of people over others, the studies are unclear but they must reveal a lot.

you forgot the ants. two summers ago we had an awful problem with ants, literal rivers of them flowing through our kitchen, feeding on every single crumb they could.

killing them was fun.

drwho222 wrote:

made worse by the heat? are they forcing you to play? not sure what you mean...

drwho222 wrote:

no, i don't think they do. the massive amount of movies about it really don't seem to indicate otherwise. most of the NTs *I* know don't hold summer in any special regard. many like winter more.

drwho222 wrote:

yeah, i like those too. deep winter isn't bad either, like i said, socal. temperatures rarely dip below 50F in the day, which is pretty good for me since most of my favorite clothes are winter clothes. :P

my birthday and the lady's birthday are both in deep summer, so that's a plus.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 5:56 am

You can repel mosquitos by having a lot of citrus in your diet. I found this out accidentally, but if you google on it you will find science backs it up too. It's because what you eat actually comes out in your sweat and your skin's natural oils, and mosquitos are repelled by citrus. If they land on you they detect the citrus in your skin and they abandon you.

While living in a place that got very hot and humid and had lots of mosquitos, I went through a phase where I was really into eating grapefruit. Couldn't get enough of the stuff.

I started to notice that I never attracted mosquitos, never seemed to get bitten. Then at a later time when I abandoned the habit of eating grapefruit a lot, as time went on I did start to get bitten badly, something that didn't happen when I used to be a grapefruit obsessive.

I also heard that Avon Skin So Soft repels them.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:34 am

I love summer exactly because of the heat.

MariFL
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jul 2017, 8:48 am

You guys must not live in FL lol.

I might sound vain but summer = the worst hair & lots of melting makeup. Wearing shorts and flip flops is nice, but I can't wear that to work. Business casual was not meant for summer at all. Not to mention every time I get into my car at lunch it's death central.
Sweat pits? You better believe they're here all summer.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 3:19 pm

I dread the long days of heat and humidity. Of course I liked summer when I was a kid. No school, swimming and campfires and weenie roasts, it was great. But I'm not a kid anymore so I can't enjoy it the way I did as a kid. At least I don't have to go back top school in September. Although my parents do sometimes take me to the wildlife park or to the Farmers' Exhibition. And my mom has invited me over for the weekend on her birthday next month and we're planning to eat at one of our family-favorite restaurants. :)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:01 pm

But, MariFL, what about air conditioning? I used to live in the Southwest, and I noticed that most workplaces that would require business attire were usually also highly air-conditioned buildings, and even old used cars would have air conditioning, so, there was a lot of leeway to escape the heat and humidity one way or another. I even used to be able to manage to keep my hair frizz free because I spent most of my time going from one air conditioned situation to the next, including car, work, stores, car, home.

Now that I live in the UK, it's not as hot, but it's as humid and my hair is a constant mess. There is no air conditioning anywhere at all, except maybe some high-end restaurants in major cities.

Then in our autumns and winters, so much rain and drizzle, nobody has nice hair here, ever. At least back in the Southwest AC kept my hair nice. :(

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 10:02 am

BirdInFlight

I'm with you on all of that. I love love [i]love[/] summertime! Used to hate it but I was a lot fatter an got hot really easily. 1st time I lost weight that changed and even once I gained weight I still got cold easy (which is getting worse again because I'm slimming down now). The only problem is where I live it's humid as heck in the summer, which can make things uncomfortable, but then I just drink tons of water to compensate.

I also hate winter because that's the time of the year that all the relationships I've had have seemed to end. Sucks but that's life :|

I do like Christmastime and Christmas songs though - they do so brighten up that time of year.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 12:08 pm

OK I've read the posts and would like to respond to them all in one. I wondered if my hatred of heat was an Aspie thing, and it does not appear to be based on the replies. The "Neanderthal hypotheses" of Autism is that Autism and perhaps other forms of neurodiversity are the result of Neanderthal genes mixed in with those of Homo Sapiens sapiens. All human groups except those of Sub Saharran Africa are known to have some, and native neurodiversity is quite uncommon there. Also Neanderthals were specifically adapted to deal with the cold, more so than any other human subgroup.

To those from the United Kingdom, I am from the American Midwest (Chicago). While the American Southeast is certainly the capital city of HOT and HUMID, the Midwest is certainly an allied province. My guess is that our temperature extremes are much less tolerable than yours, given that you are on a North Atlantic island and we are landlocked. Water has a powerful influence on moderating temperature. When there is a heat wave here, you can have high humidity and temps around 37 or 38 C for weeks on end. Its miserable. I had to live through several of these without air conditioning in my home and parents car during my childhood. Our summer right now at the present moment is quite nice, but when its bad its awful. Yes, Chicago winters are LONG and BRUTAL, but they are the rule for most of the year, and after 40 years I'm used to them. There is also Fall, which is lovely.

The sports thing comes from my expirences in school, in PE class, when I was required to play sports I hated for an instructor I hated. He was a Vietnam vet who just didn't get a person like me. I was so obviously lazy because of my inability to function on the basketball court! I just wasn't trying! Its shocking how many people in public education just don't have a clue about high functioning Autism, like the "Councilor" who thought I was schitzoid because I talked to myself.

I'm sorry to those who dislike the holidays. I love Halloween, American Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Its my favorite time of year.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 12:16 pm

Summer and fall is the best. I'm sensitive to cold and slip easily so winter is no good. Plus I like surfing and swimming in the ocean, and the sound of cicadas. I like to get super stoned and take a hike through the forest in the summer, everything looks like a mythical fairy land like that. Fall is nice because it starts to get cooler, but not to cold which is refreshing after a hot summer. I love the sound of rustling falling leaves, and autumn colors.

MariFL
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2017, 12:18 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
But, MariFL, what about air conditioning? I used to live in the Southwest

A/C is almost a requirement living here. Honestly, I've never been in a building that hasn't had it, let alone an entire city. That's almost unimaginable to me. I do alot of running around, so even though I'm going from building(A/C) to building(A/C), it's in then out again, hot& hot. Where did you live, BIF? The SW isn't in such great shape right now.. it was so hot in AZ the temperature map almost ran out of colors. Everyone's garbage cans were melting and stuff, it's actually really sad.