Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 1:01 pm

I seen this called a stim and a "flag" for Autism. I can't find anything descriptive on it. Anyone know more? If it's meant as literally as it sounds this would be one more example of things I do that are autistic that I had no idea were autistic. Even now as an adult I am constantly tossing things into the air and watching them spin. Water bottles are my favorite. I'll do it over and over and over.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 1:14 pm

I want to know the answer to this too. Ever since that "water bottle flip challenge" became popular, all the kids at my school constantly flip water bottles. Do they all fit diagnostic criteria for stimming? I don't think they would, but what is the difference? Flipping objects and watching them spin are examples of stimming in the DSM-5 criteria, though.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 1:18 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I want to know the answer to this too. Ever since that "water bottle flip challenge" became popular, all the kids at my school constantly flip water bottles. Do they all fit diagnostic criteria for stimming? I don't think they would, but what is the difference? Flipping objects and watching them spin are examples of stimming in the DSM-5 criteria, though.

I didn't quite mean that kind of flipping. That seems more like a game with specific goal other than simply watching the thing spin. When I throw water bottles I put a spin on them and don't care about the landing. I just like to watch them spin in the air. The water in the bottle makes it especially interesting.

I also habitually spin coins and similar things in the air and on flat surfaces. Just thinking of the sound is satisfying ...

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 1:25 pm

soloha wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I didn't quite mean that kind of flipping. That seems more like a game with specific goal other than simply watching the thing spin. When I throw water bottles I put a spin on them and don't care about the landing. I just like to watch them spin in the air. The water in the bottle makes it especially interesting.

I also habitually spin coins and similar things in the air and on flat surfaces. Just thinking of the sound is satisfying ...

Yeah; I know there is a difference, but I am still confused as to how professionals determine that difference.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 1:59 pm

I know flipping light switches on and off and on and off is an autism thing. Maybe it means yes/no, on/off flipping and not end over end flipping?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:06 pm

soloha wrote:
I know flipping light switches on and off and on and off is an autism thing. Maybe it means yes/no, on/off flipping and not end over end flipping?

What do you mean? Do you mean the behavior is repetitive?

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 2:18 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
soloha wrote:

In the case of light switching, at least, yes. On, off, on, off, on, off. I used to do it as a child. I liked the "click". I'm now wondering if when they say flipping they mean switching a thing between two states repeatedly. Maybe me chucking stuff in the air and letting it spin isn't "flipping". Maybe it's "spinning". Or maybe it's nothing at all and just me being me :)

They should be more specific. "Flipping" is unclear.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

soloha wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
soloha wrote:

In the case of light switching, at least, yes. On, off, on, off, on, off. I used to do it as a child. I liked the "click". I'm now wondering if when they say flipping they mean switching a thing between two states repeatedly. Maybe me chucking stuff in the air and letting it spin isn't "flipping". Maybe it's "spinning". Or maybe it's nothing at all and just me being me :)

They should be more specific. "Flipping" is unclear.

I think what you describe is definitely stimming. The diagnostic criteria is very vague, to me at least :D . It's hard to come to a conclusion about anything in the criteria.