Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 11:51 pm

I was born with a rare eye difference called heterochromia - one of my eyes has an iris with two different colours, a patch of brown in an otherwise green iris (my other iris is all green). There is another form of heterochromia where eyes can change colour back and forth, and my son has this; sometimes he has green eyes, sometimes blue eyes. The actor Benedict Cumberbatch has eyes like my son's, and the photos of him taken at different times show the changes very starkly.

Today I was surfing the net and discovered that heterochromia, though rare in all populations including the ASD population, is far more likely to occur (when it does) to people who are on the AS spectrum. (Most people on the spectrum, though, don't have heterochromia at all).

I surfed the net googling things like "people with heterochromia" today and found a list of famous people with heterochromia that was sorted by career - eg scientist, actor and so on. It was interesting that the largest subgroup by far was acting. I have often read - here and elsewhere - that ASD may be over-represented amongst actors, which some think may be because many ASD people practice acting to better pass as neurotypicals from an early age; personally I think that is likely to be the case.

Photos of Benedict Cumberbatch's heterochromia: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/acto ... mberbatch/ (scroll down for the contrasting photos)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 11:52 pm

My eyes could look green one day, blue the next, and gray the day after that :D

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 11:55 pm

That form is called "sectoral heterochromia". Welcome to the rare eyes club!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:02 am

My eyes are deep-set, though.

I bet your eyes are nice and prominent.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:12 am

I have a small brown ring around my pupils. When I was a kid, my eyes were bright green, but at some point, they changed to a dark, slightly grey-ish blue. I didn't notice the brown ring until after that, so I don't know if it was there when they were green or not.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:14 am

That's another form of heterochromia called "central heterochromia" (the brown ring around the pupil)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 1:25 am

My eye color shifts from different shades of grey to what looks black.

Up close the iris is a combination of light grey and very dark grey.

There's a special name for it, maybe one mentioned in this thread but l don't remember it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 2:35 am

EzraS wrote:
My eye color shifts from different shades of grey to what looks black.

Up close the iris is a combination of light grey and very dark grey.

There's a special name for it, maybe one mentioned in this thread but l don't remember it.

I think that may be some other condition. It sounds like your eyes are one colour (grey) in various shades of grey from very dark to light? That would count as one colour, whereas heterochromia (AFAIK) involves two completely different colours.

PS: eyes of a single colour can vary in intensity according to changes in your diet. The green part of my eyes gets much greener if I eat a lot of foods containing potassium. The change in intensity is sometimes baffling to people who know me well. I was mystified too until my optometrist explained the mineral intake connection to me. I assume that this can happen to anyone, to varying degrees, if they eat the foods that tend to affect eye colour, and it's unrelated to heterochromia.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 8:39 am

I had this at least when I was a little younger. My mom though my eyes were going to be bright blue, but they turned out dark brown :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 11:17 am

I have your type, B19.

Was teased for it in school, and one time in class, a trainee art teacher even said "Oh wow, do you know what that MEANS???" and then the bell rang and she didn't get a chance to explain. She was very hippie/mystical, so I don't know if she was about to tell me I'm a witch or the Chosen One or what, lol.

I also have congenital bilateral snowflake cataracts although they don't show, only an optometrist can see them. Apparently that's an even rarer condition.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 11:21 am

my eyes look nominally brown from a distance but up close they more resemble a mottled olive-drab, like a mostly desaturated brown revealing an undertone of weak yellow.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I have your type, B19.

Was teased for it in school, and one time in class, a trainee art teacher even said "Oh wow, do you know what that MEANS???" and then the bell rang and she didn't get a chance to explain. She was very hippie/mystical, so I don't know if she was about to tell me I'm a witch or the Chosen One or what, lol.

I also have congenital bilateral snowflake cataracts although they don't show, only an optometrist can see them. Apparently that's an even rarer condition.

Years ago I was told that in old Scots folklore, the "mark in the eye" kind of heterochromia that you and I have was considered to denote the fey child, who was believed to have inherited second sight from a clan ancestor. (I was amazed to find this PhD thesis on Scottish second sight!! https://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/9674)

I was luckier than you BIF as for me there was no teasing, onlookers were admiring or fascinated. The question I was most often asked was "is that a birthmark in your eye?" (which in a way it is, sort of, though of a special kind :)) People who had only met me briefly in the past would remember it if they encountered me years later, and say "I remember meeting you, you are that girl with the brown mark in your eye!"

On the net, there are lots of positive comments about heterochromia BIF so I hope you soak the positivity up!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:45 pm

auntblabby wrote:
my eyes look nominally brown from a distance but up close they more resemble a mottled olive-drab, like a mostly desaturated brown revealing an undertone of weak yellow.

Sounds like the eye colour called hazel? I think that's a fascinating eye colour to have, though it's not considered to be a form of heterochromia, but a variant in the normal range and one that people vote for as particularly attractive.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:50 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I had this at least when I was a little younger. My mom though my eyes were going to be bright blue, but they turned out dark brown :D .

LOL!

Why do nearly all babies' eyes change colour soon after birth? Answer is here:
http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/eye-color.htm

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 12:56 pm

B19 wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

LOL!

Oh lol. Guess that's normal :D . Now can you fix my other vision issues too? :lol:

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 6:52 pm

B19 wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

LOL!

I think my eyes changed between green and blue until I was in fifth or sixth grade, and then they finally settled on blue.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"