"Psychiatric and physical comorbidity in adults with autism"

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 1:40 pm

Another new medical study:

Psychiatric and physical comorbidity in adults with autism

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a highly impairing neurodevelopmental condition, manifesting in childhood and continuing into adult life. Comorbid psychiatric and physical illness lends considerable increased mortality to the condition. An increased awareness of comorbid conditions in adults with normal IQ ASD could improve diagnostic formulation, facilitate targeted treatments and improve psychosocial outcomes.

This study examines the prevalence of comorbid psychiatric and physical illness in 413 adults with normal IQ ASD, attending a tertiary referral neurodevelopmental clinic in South London, to determine if rates of comorbid illness would be greater than rates reported in the general population.

This study noted autism spectrum disorder in 70% of participants, with a male-to-female ratio of 2.8:1. Milder forms of ASD were recorded for 88%. Participants with autism spectrum disorder were more likely to be single, unemployed and living in the company of others. Seventy-six percent suffered from a comorbid Axis I illness and 2% suffered from a comorbid Axis II condition. Anxiety spectrum disorders were the most common comorbid psychiatric illness, followed by attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, mood disorders and deliberate self-harm. Psychosis, substance-use disorder, eating disorder and tic disorder were rarely diagnosed. Participants with Asperger’s syndrome were statistically more likely to be diagnosed with a comorbid psychiatric illness, most commonly obsessive compulsive disorder. Eighty-four percent of participants had a history of physical illness, most frequently asthma followed by head injury. Sleep difficulties and eating disturbance were notably high at 42% and 25% respectively.

Adults with normal IQ autism spectrum disorder suffer higher rates of physical and psychiatric morbidity, display a poorer ability to engage with treatment and have a lower chance of recovery compared to the general population. Increased awareness and a high degree of diagnostic skill to identify those with the disorder should be promoted among physicians and psychiatrists.

http://epubs.rcsi.ie/mdtheses/76/

There Are Four Lights!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 3:57 pm

Did I read that right? Psychosis is rarely diagnosed? Yay!! :D (I have OCD about getting psychosis)

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:00 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Did I read that right? Psychosis is rarely diagnosed? Yay!! :D (I have OCD about getting psychosis)

Yes, although the overall account is rather depressing, it's noteworthy that some conditions are rarely associated with ASD, and one is psychosis.

It's also amusing/depressing to see the typical lack of self-awareness exhibited by medical "professionals" in this statement:

ASD individuals "display a poorer ability to engage with treatment"

My translation: ASD individuals expose the fact that the medical industry is frequently incompetent in both diagnosis, understanding, and treatment.

There Are Four Lights!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:23 pm

Darmok wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yes, although the overall account is rather depressing, it's noteworthy that some conditions are rarely associated with ASD, and one is psychosis.

It's also amusing/depressing to see the typical lack of self-awareness exhibited by medical "professionals" in this statement:

ASD individuals "display a poorer ability to engage with treatment"

My translation: ASD individuals expose the fact that the medical industry is frequently incompetent in both diagnosis, understanding, and treatment.

I agree with your translation. Some professionals are not professionals in my opinion. They don't understand anything! :D

What do you mean by the overall account being rather depressing?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:33 pm

I think professionals like to conceal things. Doctors usually underestimate my comprehension of science, and try to dumb things down, which I resent.

I wonder whether digestive and skin issues were too rarely treated by doctors to appear significant. I know other people here have similar issues to mine.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 4:52 pm

Rather just ignore those ∆∆∆∆∆

It's nothing personal, but that would make me severely anxious for weeks if I came across something I hadn't read yet about "you-know-what."

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:49 am

Hmm ... I'm actually surprised that I wasn't diagnosed with depression at the time I was diagnosed as autistic considering how negative my state of mind was back then. I never did suffer from depression though it runs in the family but I was just very negative and hated everything and everyone. I've been diagnosed for almost 10 years now and only "seem depressed" because I moved recently and am very unhappy with it.