Baltimore: ALL Confederate Statues Have Now Been Removed

Page 53 of 57 [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 9:02 pm

Sons of the confederacy being sneaky to recreate their own version of a shrine and propaganda
http://theconfederatemuseum.com/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 2:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Sons of the confederacy being sneaky to recreate their own version of a shrine and propaganda

It seems pretty out in the open to me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

They dug up and spirited away the body of a dead leader of the KKK in the dead of night to the museum. Seems sneaky to me.

Yes the museum is out in the open but its purpose is to be a shrine where the sons of the confederacy control the narrative. , not anyone with a PhD.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

They dug up and spirited away the body of a dead leader of the KKK in the dead of night to the museum. Seems sneaky to me.

Yes the museum is out in the open but its purpose is to be a shrine where the sons of the confederacy control the narrative. , not anyone with a PhD.

As long as that part is acknowledged I'm not sure it's that sneaky. Just make sure the sign out front gets regularly spray-painted with ran by the klan if they won't openly admit it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Just make sure the sign out front gets regularly spray-painted with ran by the klan if they won't openly admit it.

That's precisely the purpose of their "museum", a place where they can protect/spread their propaganda.

The fellow they dug up was a particularly cruel individual who took pleasure in torturing black people as a klan leader.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Just make sure the sign out front gets regularly spray-painted with ran by the klan if they won't openly admit it.

That's precisely the purpose of their "museum", a place where they can protect/spread their propaganda.

The fellow they dug up was a particularly cruel individual who took pleasure in torturing black people as a klan leader.

Remember this is kinda one of my special interests, I know who he was. He was a slave trader, a war criminal so bad even other Confederates were ashamed and the founder of the Klan.

I'm more concerned about getting the Lost Cause out of textbooks so that people can understand what this place teaches and they can laugh at it like a creationist natural history museum.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 8:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm more concerned about getting the Lost Cause out of textbooks so that people can understand what this place teaches and they can laugh at it like a creationist natural history museum.

Would it be incumbent on the state government to not promote this place to tourists or schools as a museum though?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:48 pm

Robert E. Lee statue cut in half after removal, headed to women’s correctional center

Quote:
Following Virginia’s removal Wednesday of the Robert E. Lee statue, pieces of what is one of the country’s largest remaining monuments to the Confederacy were temporarily headed for a neighboring county, according to a source with direct knowledge of the plans.

The 21-foot-tall bronze likeness of Lee on a horse was hoisted off its 40-foot pedestal Wednesday, 131 years after it was erected in the former capital of the Confederacy as a tribute to the Civil War leader.

A crowd erupted in cheers and song as work crews hoisted the enormous statue of the Confederate general off the giant pedestal where it has towered over Virginia’s capital city.

The 12-ton statue, which prompted the closure of a large portion of the area around the monument, was cut at the waist into at least two pieces.

After removal, the source said, the statue pieces were to be taken to Virginia’s Goochland Women’s Correctional Center for temporary storage until a decision is made about its final disposition.

The pedestal is to remain for the time being, although workers were expected to remove decorative plaques and extricate a time capsule on Thursday.

The Lee statue was created by the internationally renowned French sculptor Marius-Jean-Antonin Mercie and is considered a masterpiece, according to its nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, where it has been listed since 2007.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Would it be incumbent on the state government to not promote this place to tourists or schools as a museum though?

You could always go the other direction. Promote it just like how visiting Holocaust Museums is promoted.

If they go in knowing the actual background seeing attempts at downplaying will just be a reminder that the effects of that treachery are still ongoing.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:57 pm

I used to defend places like Stone Mountain where my family took vacations...

But I like to think I'm more enlightened now. I get why people hate the Confederacy s**t. It's not just because they fought to preserve slavery, it's because they were traitors to this country and were allowed to be celebrated as heroes in the south when they should have been shamed. :shrug:

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:00 pm

Here's a fitting old comic. Lady Columbia weeping over the compromise between the South and the Union after the war. See? Even The Goddess of America knew this would come back to bite us over a century later. :nerdy:

♤ The Military

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm

King0fSpades wrote:

But I like to think I'm more enlightened now. I get why people hate the Confederacy s**t. It's not just because they fought to preserve slavery, it's because they were traitors to this country and were allowed to be celebrated as heroes in the south when they should have been shamed. :shrug:

I think that's a big part of it. Germany had to deNazify. The South never really de-traitorified, in fact as soon as they could they went the other direction and made celebrating the lost cause the norm. They've never really expressed contrition in any meaningful way.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

I think that's a big part of it. Germany had to deNazify. The South never really de-traitorified, in fact as soon as they could they went the other direction and made celebrating the lost cause the norm. They've never really expressed contrition in any meaningful way.

That's true, and we can blame organizations like The Daughters of The Confederacy for that I think. I saw a documentary once on PBS and did not realize how much disinformation they taught in schools down here about slavery and the 'lost cause' myth since the Jim Crow era. :|

♤ The Military

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:12 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

That's true, and we can blame organizations like The Daughters of The Confederacy for that I think. I saw a documentary once on PBS and did not realize how much disinformation they taught in schools down here about slavery and the 'lost cause' myth since the Jim Crow era. :|

That's also why I try to have a degree of compassion instead of just acting like the folks who buy into that stuff buy into it because they're evil monsters. They buy into it because they've been raised to believe it for generations and questioning the official, politically correct (pro-Lost Cause) narrative is likely to make one a pariah.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

That's also why I try to have a degree of compassion instead of just acting like the folks who buy into that stuff buy into it because they're evil monsters. They buy into it because they've been raised to believe it for generations and questioning the official, politically correct (pro-Lost Cause) narrative is likely to make one a pariah.

I can understand that. Even my own mom buys into some of it and she's a very smart woman and even supports Black Lives Matter.

I know I say I dont support BLM but that's not because I have a racist grudge against people of color. It's just that I don't agree with a lot of things they believe. I don't believe that every white person is racist because if that were really true we wouldnt have had white people in this country who fought in the Civil War to free slaves out of sympathy. I feel like that should be common sense. :|

♤ The Military

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:40 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
I know I say I dont support BLM but that's not because I have a racist grudge against people of color. It's just that I don't agree with a lot of things they believe. I don't believe that every white person is racist because if that were really true we wouldnt have had white people in this country who fought in the Civil War to free slaves out of sympathy. I feel like that should be common sense. :|

One can be racist and still see forms of racism as a bridge too far. Even a lot of abolitionists were racist.

Pointing out that racist views are common and often go unquestioned isn't the same as condemning everyone who holds those views as terrible. People can improve and grow. I'm sure there's forms of bigotry that you might have once accepted that you're now more able to understand as problematic.

The only problem is that BLM is speaking the truth too plainly because no one wants to be called racist or worse, to have to admit to themselves that it's true, but that doesn't mean the problem isn't more widespread then anyone wants to admit. That's one of the reasons why most people who get accused of racism try to deflect by pointing out a worse example, or bigger, more obvious version in hopes they'll dodge the accusation.

Sometimes one just needs to accept the accusation and figure out why it was made in order to understand if it's valid and how severe it was. Often it seems like making a blanket observation of a shared experience is treated as a bigger deal than what motivates the observation.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う