Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,527
Location: High Point, North Carolina

31 May 2007, 7:09 pm

This morning when I was getting ready for school, I saw a newer version of those Autism Speaks PSAs. It was pretty much the same, but this time, the voiceover said at the end "1 in 150" instead (I don't usually get what those parts mean).



SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

31 May 2007, 8:10 pm

The 1:150 is apparently a FABRICATION! Some say that is 1:150 males(At a 4:1 male to female ratio, that would be 1:375! At a 2:1 male/female ratio, it would be 1:225!), and others say 1:150 PDD(which includes AS and NOS)! Either way, it is misleading at best.

Steve



KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,418
Location: Arizona

31 May 2007, 8:27 pm

Quick! call 911! There's an autie in my house!
Oh wait, there's three! 8O
Where's the Kool-Aide???

;)



Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,955

31 May 2007, 8:34 pm

KimJ wrote:
Quick! call 911! There's an autie in my house!
Oh wait, there's three! 8O
Where's the Kool-Aide???

;)


That just can't be! You're going against the statistics. You're only allowed one autie child per every 150. And it must be a male. Or in New Jersey you are allowed 1 in 95.



Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,955

31 May 2007, 8:38 pm

SteveK wrote:
The 1:150 is apparently a FABRICATION! Some say that is 1:150 males(At a 4:1 male to female ratio, that would be 1:375! At a 2:1 male/female ratio, it would be 1:225!), and others say 1:150 PDD(which includes AS and NOS)! Either way, it is misleading at best.

Steve


Recently an autism expert told me in AZ we were formally 1:250 and has risen to 1:150 and they are only counting males. The whole thing is skewed and screwy anyway. At any given autism group meeting we are average 40% / 60% or 50/50% females to males. The guys just are brattier and get all the attention. I was told they are also counting PDD, NOS and ADHD in the new 1:150 figure.



krex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,471
Location: Village of the Damned

31 May 2007, 8:41 pm

In the 1/150 or 1/165 number that they are quoting....what is the actual percentage with low functioning autism(as they portray it)?I believe they want the people who donate money to think everyone in those statistics are living in institutions and banging their heads,etc.I would like to see an actual statistical breakdown in the percentage of LFA/HFA/AS/PDD-NOS...anyone?


_________________
Just because one plane is flying out of formation, doesn't mean the formation is on course....R.D.Lang

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/


Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,409
Location: Central Illinois, USA

01 Jun 2007, 4:17 am

What is the goal of CAN and Autism Speaks? I don't really know anything about them aside from some people seem to be angry at them. I'm trying to read up on them, and have a vague idea, but I'd love to hear specific issues if anyone wants to.



Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,597
Location: In the recesses of my mind

01 Jun 2007, 3:39 pm

they dont like the advertisements of frustrated parents admitting that they sometimes contemplate killing their autistic children cause it's a hard life (for them)....

beyond that crappy gimmic......... it's just any other org tryin to "find a cure"


_________________
Neuroscience PhD student

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl


krex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,471
Location: Village of the Damned

01 Jun 2007, 5:00 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
What is the goal of CAN and Autism Speaks? I don't really know anything about them aside from some people seem to be angry at them. I'm trying to read up on them, and have a vague idea, but I'd love to hear specific issues if anyone wants to.



I believe their main objective is to raise money for research for a genetic marker for autism ao that they can abort the kids before they are born,(as they do with down syndrome)They also want to find programs like ABA therepy to try and turn "defective" children into NT clones(so they can be football stars and cheeleaders and make mommy and daddy proud).They seem to resent anyone who is able to speak for themselves who has higher functioning autism and DONT want to be eliminated but appriciated for their strengths and helped with their difficulties.This is ot a group that is represented by CAN or Autism Speaks,yet they have no problem including us in their statistics.


_________________
Just because one plane is flying out of formation, doesn't mean the formation is on course....R.D.Lang

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/


KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,012
Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

01 Jun 2007, 6:05 pm

Sedaka wrote:
they dont like the advertisements of frustrated parents admitting that they sometimes contemplate killing their autistic children cause it's a hard life (for them)....

"Oh no, I'm a crap parent who can't put in a few extra hard yards to look after my kids because I would NEVER have seen this coming! And I also am afraid of any sort of difference in my kids because I think that means people will hate them! Tragic, isn't it?!"

^That about sums it up right there.

Also, my new logo on Autism Speaks:

Image


_________________
I was sad when I found that she left
But then I found
That I could speak to her,
In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there


KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,418
Location: Arizona

01 Jun 2007, 6:58 pm

:lol: [/Ernielaugh]



krex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,471
Location: Village of the Damned

01 Jun 2007, 7:20 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
they dont like the advertisements of frustrated parents admitting that they sometimes contemplate killing their autistic children cause it's a hard life (for them)....

"Oh no, I'm a crap parent who can't put in a few extra hard yards to look after my kids because I would NEVER have seen this coming! And I also am afraid of any sort of difference in my kids because I think that means people will hate them! Tragic, isn't it?!"

^That about sums it up right there.

Also, my new logo on Autism Speaks:

Image



Love the Logo... :lol:


_________________
Just because one plane is flying out of formation, doesn't mean the formation is on course....R.D.Lang

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/


Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,955

01 Jun 2007, 7:27 pm

KBABZ wrote:

Also, my new logo on Autism Speaks:

Image


Very well done KBABZ! :lol: You should redesign some of the autism society items, start a store on Cafe Press and then we can have our own new autism jewelry, bumperstickers and ribbon car magnets.



KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,012
Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

01 Jun 2007, 7:37 pm

Thanks guys! If you could provie links to other logos, I'd be more than happy to, *ahem*, adjust them... :twisted:


_________________
I was sad when I found that she left
But then I found
That I could speak to her,
In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there


Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,597
Location: In the recesses of my mind

01 Jun 2007, 8:24 pm

to play the devils advocate.......... i think they're aiming for LFA... not that that justifies anything


_________________
Neuroscience PhD student

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl


KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,012
Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

01 Jun 2007, 11:11 pm

Here's another one I just whipped up:

Image


_________________
I was sad when I found that she left
But then I found
That I could speak to her,
In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there