Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

28 Dec 2017, 8:42 pm

Onyxaxe wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:
Short, and shaved on the sides. I just talked myself out of shaving it all so I definitely err on the side of punk short, and super short pixie. I'm trying to let it grow out a bit so I look less butch but it's hard for me. Once it gets a certain length the clippers come out because it won't behave lol. I can't stand the fly aways. My hair is thick and coarse.,


I love the sound of that. Flyaways and stuff bother me too. Shaved on sides looks very neat and stylish. Who cares if you look butch...short hair is so much more comfy.


Thank you so much. I'm becoming comfortable with my androgynous nature so this helps. It's weird how society makes you feel being butch is manly when it's really just being yourself. I'm only mistaken for a guy because of my height. Anyone that sees a man in my face needs to have their eyes checked. Not to be graphic but I'm not exactly flat chested either. Neat and tidy is the perfect way to explain this need for short hair with undercuts.


It’s easier in some ways to move through society if you look more androgynous.

If you look feminine, you get treated strangely. There’s a lot of baggage and expectation that comes with looking traditionally feminine, sometimes.

I noticed on youtube a lot of the Aspie women prefer to keep their hair ultra-short too.


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 395

28 Dec 2017, 9:19 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:
Short, and shaved on the sides. I just talked myself out of shaving it all so I definitely err on the side of punk short, and super short pixie. I'm trying to let it grow out a bit so I look less butch but it's hard for me. Once it gets a certain length the clippers come out because it won't behave lol. I can't stand the fly aways. My hair is thick and coarse.,


I love the sound of that. Flyaways and stuff bother me too. Shaved on sides looks very neat and stylish. Who cares if you look butch...short hair is so much more comfy.


Thank you so much. I'm becoming comfortable with my androgynous nature so this helps. It's weird how society makes you feel being butch is manly when it's really just being yourself. I'm only mistaken for a guy because of my height. Anyone that sees a man in my face needs to have their eyes checked. Not to be graphic but I'm not exactly flat chested either. Neat and tidy is the perfect way to explain this need for short hair with undercuts.


It’s easier in some ways to move through society if you look more androgynous.

If you look feminine, you get treated strangely. There’s a lot of baggage and expectation that comes with looking traditionally feminine, sometimes.

I noticed on youtube a lot of the Aspie women prefer to keep their hair ultra-short too.


There's no getting out of being treated strangely. Despite my height and deep voice guys still like it, even with the butch haircut. My mom was a model so I was raised to be feminine, but I ended up as this tomboy that stands out even though I hate standing out lol. I'm popular with both genders and no matter what the haircut just doesn't matter. I figured I might as well just do what I want.



Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,749

28 Dec 2017, 9:54 pm

MissChess wrote:
Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Mine is quite long. It's still strawberry blonde and wavy. Very thick still.

I tend to tie it back, or put it up in a dancer's knot, because it attracts attention if I let it down when I'm out and about, and I don't enjoy dealing with that. At home I let it down unless I'm doing housework.

But I like it and want to keep it for as long as I can - it does not yet look "too young" for me.

Weird true fact: my hair was beginning to grey, but when I retired, that reversed itself to an extent. I found numerous shed hairs that were white at the ends and dark at the roots - thus color returned to them, which I had no idea was possible.

I envy you so. I like my color (auburn), but it's a fine, thin, curly bit of a mess.


Auburn is a beautiful color! And you'd look "gamine" (viz. Audrey Hepburn) with wispy auburn curls, I'd think.

Yeah no, nothing to envy here. If I don't tie it back or pin it up I get total strangers wanting to stroke it and I'd swear that every dirty old man in the vicinity starts following me around. This is unpleasant.

But I like my hair, and when I tie it back or pin it up, almost nobody bothers me. The thought of hacking it off because people pester me is just untenable. I'll cut it eventually, it will no longer suit me; but I want that to be an aesthetic choice.


_________________
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,749

28 Dec 2017, 9:56 pm

Onyxaxe wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:
Short, and shaved on the sides. I just talked myself out of shaving it all so I definitely err on the side of punk short, and super short pixie. I'm trying to let it grow out a bit so I look less butch but it's hard for me. Once it gets a certain length the clippers come out because it won't behave lol. I can't stand the fly aways. My hair is thick and coarse.,


I love the sound of that. Flyaways and stuff bother me too. Shaved on sides looks very neat and stylish. Who cares if you look butch...short hair is so much more comfy.


Thank you so much. I'm becoming comfortable with my androgynous nature so this helps. It's weird how society makes you feel being butch is manly when it's really just being yourself. I'm only mistaken for a guy because of my height. Anyone that sees a man in my face needs to have their eyes checked. Not to be graphic but I'm not exactly flat chested either. Neat and tidy is the perfect way to explain this need for short hair with undercuts.


It’s easier in some ways to move through society if you look more androgynous.

If you look feminine, you get treated strangely. There’s a lot of baggage and expectation that comes with looking traditionally feminine, sometimes.

I noticed on youtube a lot of the Aspie women prefer to keep their hair ultra-short too.


There's no getting out of being treated strangely. Despite my height and deep voice guys still like it, even with the butch haircut. My mom was a model so I was raised to be feminine, but I ended up as this tomboy that stands out even though I hate standing out lol. I'm popular with both genders and no matter what the haircut just doesn't matter. I figured I might as well just do what I want.


Please take this as the high compliment it's intended to be - reading this, I imagine you resembling Grace Jones in the prime of her youth. She was absolutely stunning, and probably still is.


_________________
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,779
Location: US

28 Dec 2017, 10:05 pm

I'm scared of hairdressers, so I just take scissors and hack mine to about 2 inches long everywhere. It's easy to deal with, and I like to delude myself it's stylishly tomboyish.



Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 395

28 Dec 2017, 10:13 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:
Short, and shaved on the sides. I just talked myself out of shaving it all so I definitely err on the side of punk short, and super short pixie. I'm trying to let it grow out a bit so I look less butch but it's hard for me. Once it gets a certain length the clippers come out because it won't behave lol. I can't stand the fly aways. My hair is thick and coarse.,


I love the sound of that. Flyaways and stuff bother me too. Shaved on sides looks very neat and stylish. Who cares if you look butch...short hair is so much more comfy.


Thank you so much. I'm becoming comfortable with my androgynous nature so this helps. It's weird how society makes you feel being butch is manly when it's really just being yourself. I'm only mistaken for a guy because of my height. Anyone that sees a man in my face needs to have their eyes checked. Not to be graphic but I'm not exactly flat chested either. Neat and tidy is the perfect way to explain this need for short hair with undercuts.


It’s easier in some ways to move through society if you look more androgynous.

If you look feminine, you get treated strangely. There’s a lot of baggage and expectation that comes with looking traditionally feminine, sometimes.

I noticed on youtube a lot of the Aspie women prefer to keep their hair ultra-short too.


There's no getting out of being treated strangely. Despite my height and deep voice guys still like it, even with the butch haircut. My mom was a model so I was raised to be feminine, but I ended up as this tomboy that stands out even though I hate standing out lol. I'm popular with both genders and no matter what the haircut just doesn't matter. I figured I might as well just do what I want.


Please take this as the high compliment it's intended to be - reading this, I imagine you resembling Grace Jones in the prime of her youth. She was absolutely stunning, and probably still is.


I think that's one of the highest compliments one can receive, even if one doesn't identify with her aesthetic. That boldness and confidence cannot be emulated. These days I find myself quite enamored with Grace Jones. Thank you.



Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 395

28 Dec 2017, 10:16 pm

Ashariel wrote:
I'm scared of hairdressers, so I just take scissors and hack mine to about 2 inches long everywhere. It's easy to deal with, and I like to delude myself it's stylishly tomboyish.


Ditto. I'm saving up for some good clippers so I can actually cut fades. Hairdressers are a waste of time and money for people that are willing to risk cutting their hair themselves. It's just too much of a hassle for me and I get countless compliments on my hair. I dye it myself too. 7 years and going.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 32,152
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

03 Jan 2018, 8:22 pm

Now my hair is quite short buzzed on sides and back with mohawk on top, but kind of a short one as there was only so much of my hair left after cutting the dreadlocks off. I will probably post a picture at some point.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


BearBee
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 5 Jan 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 10
Location: South Wales

06 Jan 2018, 5:10 am

I have thigh length hair because hairdressers and haircuts freak me out. I tried really hard to have regular cuts for a while and found a hairdresser who worked around what I can and can't handle but she moved away and I've just kind of let it grow. I don't think it looks awful but it is really thick and a bit wild. I'd love to have it shorter again though, maybe shoulder length, so I didn't sit on it all the time.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 32,152
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

06 Jan 2018, 5:39 am

To people afraid of hairdressers, just go in tell them what sort of thing you want and they will try and do it as close as they can. I mean you are the customer....thing is you should be aware that if you find a pic of a hairdo you like on another person if you get the same hair-cut it may not look the same, depends on if you have the same hair texture and such. My sister worked in that for a while and the worst thing she told me was when sometimes a customer would ask to get so much inches of their hair cut off and my sister would warn that it will look shorter than they are assuming...but they say they are sure so she'd do it and then have them freak out like super freak out blaming her of cutting all their hair off after she told them the length they wanted removed would make the hair noticeably shorter. Also earth to people getting 3 inches cut off your hair does not make you bald or mean all your hair was cut off...so don't say that kind of crap to the hairdresser...if you think 3 inches off super long hair makes you bald than don't get a hair-cut.

I just gather that some people are extremely touchy about their hair, so if even a quarter of an inch is off they freak the f*ck out. While I just didn't care much I wanted to get my dreads cut off because of issues with dandruff, if I hadn't had enough hair left for the mohawk I would have just had it all buzzed, I mean seriously doesn't matter to me it will grow back quicker than I want most likely.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


BearBee
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 5 Jan 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 10
Location: South Wales

06 Jan 2018, 5:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
To people afraid of hairdressers, just go in tell them what sort of thing you want and they will try and do it as close as they can. I mean you are the customer....


For me, it's not how it looks afterwards that's the problem, it's the actual haircut process. I don't like strangers touching my hair, I can't handle the little sink things to have a wet cut (especially if they wet my face) and the combination of sound and sensation as they cut is awful. Add onto that the smells and noise in the salon and the closest I get to getting a haircut is opening the door and then running away :oops:



Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2017
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 86
Location: ShiKahr

06 Jan 2018, 2:16 pm

BearBee wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
To people afraid of hairdressers, just go in tell them what sort of thing you want and they will try and do it as close as they can. I mean you are the customer....


For me, it's not how it looks afterwards that's the problem, it's the actual haircut process. I don't like strangers touching my hair, I can't handle the little sink things to have a wet cut (especially if they wet my face) and the combination of sound and sensation as they cut is awful. Add onto that the smells and noise in the salon and the closest I get to getting a haircut is opening the door and then running away :oops:



I have a similar dislike of haircuts, and I've seen a couple of people on this thread that also don't like getting their hair cut. Is disliking the sensation of having your hair cut a common thing for people on this forum? I always thought that was just a weird thing about me.



Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 395

06 Jan 2018, 4:38 pm

Khiori wrote:
BearBee wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
To people afraid of hairdressers, just go in tell them what sort of thing you want and they will try and do it as close as they can. I mean you are the customer....


For me, it's not how it looks afterwards that's the problem, it's the actual haircut process. I don't like strangers touching my hair, I can't handle the little sink things to have a wet cut (especially if they wet my face) and the combination of sound and sensation as they cut is awful. Add onto that the smells and noise in the salon and the closest I get to getting a haircut is opening the door and then running away :oops:



I have a similar dislike of haircuts, and I've seen a couple of people on this thread that also don't like getting their hair cut. Is disliking the sensation of having your hair cut a common thing for people on this forum? I always thought that was just a weird thing about me.



It's very common for autistics at any "level" to struggle with haircuts.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 32,152
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

09 Jan 2018, 4:15 am

BearBee wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
To people afraid of hairdressers, just go in tell them what sort of thing you want and they will try and do it as close as they can. I mean you are the customer....


For me, it's not how it looks afterwards that's the problem, it's the actual haircut process. I don't like strangers touching my hair, I can't handle the little sink things to have a wet cut (especially if they wet my face) and the combination of sound and sensation as they cut is awful. Add onto that the smells and noise in the salon and the closest I get to getting a haircut is opening the door and then running away :oops:


That makes sense, however the process does not really bother me at all, it's much better than going to the dentist which I do neglect because I hate it so much. But maybe they could skip the sink part...not sure they have to do that.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2005
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,780
Location: Western Australia

13 Jan 2018, 12:11 am

Sometimes I've come across hairdressers who just spray the hair wet with water in a spray bottle, rather than washing the hair first at a sink. These hairdressers are usually cheaper.

I don't get my hair cut as often as I should to maintain the style I have (money, or lack of).

Some family members have accused me of dyeing my hair dark. It used to be quite a light and bright red. Now it's darkened to an auburn/brown. I'm dreading going grey, hope it doesn't happen until I'm in my 50s!



blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

13 Jan 2018, 9:14 pm

I just got it close cropped again/boy cut.

It was done well this time because she worked with the shape of my head which is awkward and not meant for short hair. Most hairdressers don’t take into account the head shape and shaping the hair to balance out the ‘flaws’


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


cron