Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 12:43 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Actually old people moan about the heat as well!! !!

Lots of people don't like hot weather. What I meant was it's probably more common among Aspies than NTs because of sensitivity to heat etc.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 12:59 pm

Lol, give me heat and I want it now!! I'm old and getting older, heat has never really bothered me. Oh, I swear at it like everybody else, when it's bad, but my tolerance of it is pretty high. Just wait young ones, you'll like it too, when the bones and joints get old :wink:

Light. Argh!! My cave is just that, very light controlable. Only certian kinds of electric lights are permisable. Actually have to go shopping for another today. The main one, is one of those really expensive ones, ott, I think they're called. The Wife is going to do some needle point and would like it back. I have pressure in my eyes, it isn't glacoma, also have optical migraines. Even cloudy days can and are overbearing to me. Dark dark glasses when going out, but have yet to find the correct kind for inside. At times I need light to see things and having the shades on in the house can be a pain in the butt. The Wife has her needs for light and it would be unfair for me to just board up all the windows, so to speak. One must also be carefule as lack of light can lead to some depression.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 1:17 pm

Try living in Jersey (Not New Jersey) the island next to France. Where I was born at least when it was hot you went to the beach. The heat is different there but that didn't change the way felt about it. It's not humid over like it is in England.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 1:43 pm

I wear cheap polarized sunglasses all the time when outside, and sometimes even while inside (after I’ve had like only 4 hours of sleep). I have several pairs, in various locations, just in case I find myself stuck without my normal pair. I’ve been relying on sunglasses for many years, now. They’ve made it possible for me to compete in outdoor sports. I also keep a boonie hat in my backpack just in case. Not only do these items bring relief, they provide protection that is necessary. If you have blue eyes, they are suseptible to cataracts, so it’s especially important to protect them from the sun’s damaging rays. GO to your preferred discount store and buy a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses. Make sure they’re polarized, because that’s what negates the glare. They don’t need to be very dark, either. I choose ones that have only moderate tint.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:36 pm

likedcalico wrote:
Is hating the hot weather an aspie thing?

I don't think it is. For me, it's the humidity I don't like--and here in Houston, there is lots of it. If it's hot and dry, it's actually quite pleasant.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2007, 6:58 pm

Kris94 wrote:
i get a migrane if i stay in the sun to long...

Glare off of car bumpers or other point sources of bright light will trigger a migraine,
or at least the pre-migraine "Aura" or painful after image.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 7:07 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
I have problem especially when the sun is out it's been more since I started wearing Contact Lenses. When I used to wear glasses all the time it didn't really bother me at all but what happens when I go out in the sun this is in winter as well sometimes I have this when it is overcast. I have to wear sunglasses because it is too bright when I wear glasses and when I go out I tend to walk around with one eye open the other either closed or half open is it a AS trait or not

It's not an AS trait, though I can't rule out the possibility that for some Aspies, having AS may make it worse. My eye doctor once told me that people who are nearsighted are often sensitive to bright light. The worse the nearsightedness, the worse the sensitivity. And the way contact lenses gather the light (he said), they make it worse.

His advice: wear sunglasses. So, I wear sunglasses whenever I am outside by day. No big deal. The key is to get a nice pair that look good on you. (And make sure they have 100% UVA and UVB protection.)

Laureolus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2007, 7:53 pm

Late afternoon light does bother me, as the cursed sun is at the perfect angle to flood my eyes with light. Parking lots are great fun most of the day also. You've got to love polished cars. Polarized sunglasses are indeed lifesavers, Flismflop.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 9:04 am

I hope my sunglasses that came with my glasses block both types of UV radiation. They're polarized, supposedly.

fishie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2007, 10:14 am

I have really sensitive eyes too, but I have a lazy eye and my right eye (the lazy one) is significantly more sensitive than the left one. I've had to wear sunglasses in the winter and fall and some old people made fun of me. :x