More and more websites starting to hate adblock?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 2:51 am

How do websites even know you have on adblock?

I am noticed more and more websites will have a screen that pops up saying you have on adblock and ask you to whitelist them and it doesn't let you read the article unless you disable your adblocker or just not use it for that page. Anyone else been noticing this too?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 3:29 am

There's various techniques no doubt, but many advert systems use javascript to inject content (the advert) into a specific part of the web page as defined by the site itself. So the site can use its own javascript to examine this predefined part of the page to see if anything has been infected into it, and if nothing has you might have an ad blocker.

You know shops that have walls that let people put their own adverts up? Well it's like that, the shop (website) owns the wall and has allowed third parties to put things on that wall (adverts via javascript rather than cards by people). The shop owner can then simply look at their wall and if there are no adverts on the wall it can suspect foul play.

Websites cost money to run so they either get you to pay to use the site or host adverts. People are reluctant to pay to use sites so they turn to ads instead. As more people ad block the site gets less revenue so finds it harder to function so at some point tries to stop people using ad blockers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 3:41 am

I have to use adblock and script blockers to cut down on how much is happening on a page and especially to hide GIF or the web would be unusable to me.

I know it takes income to pay for having a website.
I have to block things or I can't use the web - that is not negotiable.

So, there some websites I just can't get in to any more since they block access when ad blockers are running.
Over the last several years there are a few companies I've written snail mail letters to about the situation.
No replies yet.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 1:21 pm

I notice it, but it's kind of the ad creator's fault for making ads such a prolific problem, blaring music, crashing browsers, etc.

I'll unblock if it's a site where I don't have problems with intrusive ads and I like them. Otherwise meh, Internet always has more articles.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 5:50 pm

Yes, I've noticed this. Many of the popups are getting downright insulting too.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 6:16 pm

I wouldn't see an ad blocker being necessary if ads weren't so pushy. I mean no I don't want to hear someone start screaming about a product or service I don't care about at full volume randomly when I am trying to look at a website/page. That happened to me quite a bit here till I started using an ad blocker...I mean if they could just stick to the banner type ads where you can choose if you want to click on it to learn more or not then that would be fine. But yeah its those obnoxious ads that randomly just start yelling at you that have caused me to use an ad blocker.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 11:12 am

I agree if the ads were not so obnoxious I wouldn't mind them.

I use AdBlock because most ads are very kinetic or blare loud sounds. I can't deal well with a lot of stuff going on all over the page, things jumping, moving, flashing, etc.

There are a couple of sites I visit who now seem to have gotten around my Adblock even though I changed no settings.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Sep 2017, 8:55 pm

I noticed that trend too. I wouldn't use AdBlock if so many site didn't have annoying adds like adds that take me to a new page or have sounds I cant mute or block some of my screen from reading the whole article.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 10:04 pm

95% of online ads are scams and or filled with malware. It is advertisers own fault that they get blocked. I always hear the complaint about the ads being instrusive or irritating but no one ever talks about the content of the ad itself. If you don't vet adverstising on your own business well who's fault is that?

There are ads on television which are funny that I actually go out of my way to watch. Sponsered articles(like the ads on digg) about a relevant item or service is another type of ad that I don't find annoying either.

Customers shouldn't have to feel guilty that they didn't want to be scammed or infected with malware.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 2:53 am

The main reason I use adblock is because the links could contain malware and stuff and I could accidentally click on it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2017, 8:48 am

Yeah, I've also noticed this. However, between my three adblockers on three different computers, I've been protected from over four million ads, so I'm not going to get rid of them.