Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 2:49 am

Tequila wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
That's not true, not all guys care for looks, it's not fair to say that 'exotic' women are invisible to men , I may like exotic women.
I need to combat that because it's unfair, some men here on WP may like exotic women. Some men here on WP may not like the typical looks. Your thread is unfair, your thread is an attack on us the good WP guys who care for exotic women, you are denying our existence.

/hmmm

:lol: ....ok,I am not being serious, I was applying the same logic I have seen in my thread.

this is and old topic, i just revived it because i wanted to add this last commentary on how my perception of being invisible may not be true. also, you were nicer before.

it's fun that i'm not exactly exotic looking... i'm a plain as it gets, but in the context i mentioned, i was a foreigner hence exotic. actually i remember one guy i met in hungary being openly disappointed that i was "too white for a brazilian" (even though he had seem photos of me prior but no idea what he expected), he even mentioned some football players to back up his claims.

Huh? By golly some people are thick aren't they? "Too white" for a Brazilian.

i thought it was just an stereotype that europeans were surprised that there was white people in brazil... but weirdly, it was somewhat a common commentary i got while living in hungary.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 3:52 am

Hungary has a bit of a racism problem so I've been told. Don't sweat it; most people in places like Britain are a bit more enlightened.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 3:56 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Tequila wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Let's not forget that Brazil has Portuguese descendants.

Let's not forget that Lebanon has Arab descendants.

Let's not forget that Lebanon also has Syriac/Phoenician/Jewish/Crusader descendants as well.

Genetically speaking, we are predominately Canaanites. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... chaeology/

The only Arab descendants we are aware of (based on family trees and roots) are the clans in Beqaa area, who have very distinct customs/traditions than the rest of population.

just a random thing but in most areas of brazil people from middle eastern origin are randomly labelled as turks (mostly because a lot of immigration came while there was still an otoman empire). ok maybe this isn't even interesting to know

Funnily, most of the middle easterns you have are descendants of those who escaped the area because they were prosecuted by the turks. They neither talked turkish nor ever identified themselves as turks.

(ie. Again, there's a lot people who equate being under Ottoman rule = Turks/Ottomans; like the common pro-israel narrative which says along the line "Oh, the Palestinian/Canaanite identity never existed in the past, they were all Ottomans at some point ....bla bla bla bla BLA BLA BLA....and stupid BLA" , it's like saying that ancient Hebrew identity never existed because they were all Romans. Empires' conquests simply enforced identities that most subordinates never self identified with, they were always temporary).

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 4:06 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Let's not forget that Lebanon also has Syriac/Phoenician/Jewish/Crusader descendants as well.

I was taking the piss. The point is that the language of Brazil is (Brazilian) Portuguese. The language of Lebanon is (Lebanese) Arabic. Surely this language came from somewhere? It didn't just appear. A merry little band of Arabs didn't just wend their merry way in and leave their tongue.

I'll leave it there. We know where we are. All the best dude. :-)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 4:24 am

Tequila wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I was taking the piss. The point is that the language of Brazil is (Brazilian) Portuguese. The language of Lebanon is (Lebanese) Arabic. Surely this language came from somewhere? It didn't just appear. A merry little band of Arabs didn't just wend their merry way in and leave their tongue.

The "Islamic caliphate" was an Arab empire, and like all empires they left linguistic traces, most brazilians are not Portuguese descendants but they all talk Portuguese today because this language was enforced on them, language =/= ancestry.
And umm.... Almost all Semitic civilizations in the Middle East who used to speak Semitic languages (ie. Aramaic, Syriac in the Levant, Punic/Berber in Maghreb) that been conquered by Arabs speaks Arabic today due to the extreme similarity of these semitic languages to Arabic (Arabic is descendant of Syriac), except the Jews who retained their original language thanks to ancient bibles. The most recent of this linguistic transformation is the Maronites, the Maronite were a Syriac people, their church is still officially called to this day the "Syriac Maronite Church of Antioch", their language was Syriac and their priests still use Syriac to this day, but most Maronite civilians nowadays speak only Arabic and barely understand any Syriac, their linguistic root was lost due to the reasons mentioned above.

Quote:
During the start of the patriarchs periods, the persecution of Christians and Arabization of the region, including the destruction of the Monastery of Saint Maron, led the majority of the Maronites to move to the barren mountains of Lebanon, especially the northern territory. They established a closed, rural, hierarchical society; re-established their communications with the Papacy during the Crusades; maintained Syriac up to the 18th century;[citation needed] and shifted to Lebanese Arabic as their native language

While non-semitic cultures showed more resistance to this linguistic domination due to much greater linguistic difference between Arabic and their ancestral language; pre-Ataturk Turkish for instance was written with Arabic script which is not the original Turkish script, Farsi is written with Arabic scripts....all these are due to historical failed attempts of Arab imperials to force the Arabic language on these non-semitic cultures.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 4:57 am

I tend to think that anybody whose mother tongue is Arabic is therefore an Arab. AFAIK the language originated in the Arabian peninsula and spread alongside Islam, however many self-identifying Arabs today practice other religions, notably Christianity. Egypt is universally thought of as a Arab country but the language was brought there sometime after the Hegira.

I have seen "Arabs" with blond hair and blue eyes and I have seen other "Arabs" with jet black skin. You could never convince me to think of "Arab" as a racial classification.

BTW speaking of Turkey, it is my understanding that at one time, there was a substantial population of Christian Arabs living in Turkey proper, including Istanbul, but it would seem that the vast majority of them left for the Western Hemisphere. One example would be US radio personally Diane Rehm (husband's surname) who BTW has blond hair.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 5:12 am

MaxE wrote:
I tend to think that anybody whose mother tongue is Arabic is therefore an Arab.

That'll piss off some of the minorities who aren't actually Arab.

Anyway, I've had that argument. Boring. Not interested. The main point is that most Middle Eastern countries don't produce good beer, although a few might be alright with the wine. But that's mainly Christians and Israel.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 7:24 am

MaxE wrote:
I tend to think that anybody whose mother tongue is Arabic is therefore an Arab.

This one of the word definition in the Larrousse. The other definition is the ethnicity originated from the Arabic peninsula.

So....the language-based definition is synonym to "Arabphone" but this word does not exist in Arabic.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 7:33 am

Tequila wrote:
MaxE wrote:

That'll piss off some of the minorities who aren't actually Arab.

Anyway, I've had that argument. Boring. Not interested. The main point is that most Middle Eastern countries don't produce good beer, although a few might be alright with the wine. But that's mainly Christians and Israel.

And there's also Arak, the Turks drink Arak as well. A lot of Muslim levantines drink Arak as well :P.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 7:37 am

Is that raki? I've had the stuff. Not again ta.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 7:57 am

Tequila wrote:
Is that raki? I've had the stuff. Not again ta.

The anise flavour is something that either you love it or hate it.

You're not alone.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 8:40 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's called "Sexual invisibility", google it. And yes, obesity is a common cause for this.
the strange thing is that I wasn't obese a few years ago and this still happened?
Obesity is only one cause. Other causes may include (but are not limited to) poor hygiene, poor grammar, poor fashion sense, visible disability, and a 'vibe' that says "Stay away!"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
it's fun that i'm not exactly exotic looking... i'm a plain as it gets, but in the context i mentioned, i was a foreigner hence exotic. actually i remember one guy i met in hungary being openly disappointed that i was "too white for a brazilian" (even though he had seem photos of me prior but no idea what he expected), he even mentioned some football players to back up his claims.

From what I understand, Brazil is a melting pot like the United States, with many different ethnicities. :)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 9:10 am

hobojungle wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

From what I understand, Brazil is a melting pot like the United States, with many different ethnicities. :)

It's a 'melting pot' like South Africa is.

I'd sooner live in a modern-day Smith's Rhodesia than whichever moron is ruining Zim today. Smith, despite his faults, cared about his people. I daresay there would not be the racial system in place if Smith was running it today.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 9:26 am

^I see. :(

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 10:27 am

Fnord wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's called "Sexual invisibility", google it. And yes, obesity is a common cause for this.
the strange thing is that I wasn't obese a few years ago and this still happened?
Obesity is only one cause. Other causes may include (but are not limited to) poor hygiene, poor grammar, poor fashion sense, visible disability, and a 'vibe' that says "Stay away!"

it probably got away with the other commentaries but this is an old thread i revived exactly to say that i just acknowledge that it seems that i never was do invisible as i think i am? i just seem to be completely unaware of how people perceive me.