I'm not on the spectrum and I'm predominantly right-handed 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm not on the spectrum and I'm predominantly left-handed 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I'm not on the spectrum and I'm ambidextrous 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 44

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 10:46 pm

I've read from multiple sources that there is a higher rate of left-handedness in those with ASD and other neurological disorders than the general population. Being a left-handed Aspie myself, I'm interested to see if that checks out here

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 11:03 pm

I'm right handed, bit only for specific things really. I eat, play piano better, and more weird things better in my left than right.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 11:26 pm

Right handed here, but I've read similar articles.

Among the general population, roughly 10% are left handed, so even if it is twice as likely to be left handed among those on the spectrum, it would still be a minority.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 2:27 am

Lefty

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 3:25 am

This topic gets repeated. In fact there was a topic on this only a few weeks ago.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 1:55 am

I'm left-handed and my parents are left-handed. But neither of my parents appear to be on the spectrum.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 3:00 pm

When I was about four years old my precious lil "parents" told me that I could not be left handed. Per Chinese tradition

They made. Forced me to write right handed

When I was 13 I started writing left handed

Right now I write faster and more neatly right handed

However, not much faster or not much neater

Nor do I write quickly or neatly right handed

With the exception of brushing teeth, :D pretty much everything that I can do right handed, I can do left handed. With somewhat less speed and accuracy left than right

When I was 14 I practiced breathing on both sides. Freestyle swim

And I have practiced left handed driving and eating

Ambidextrous

:nerdy:

Or is it just

:idea: ambi sinister :!:

Because sometimes I feel like the way my precious lil "parents" would not let me write left handed, resulted in me getting worse

:x at gross and fine motor skills :lol:

Because they did not let me use the side that was naturally stronger, more coordinated, or more inclined

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2017, 3:12 pm

I'm autistic and I'm the only lefty in my entire family. Even a lot of my extended family were right-handed.

A while ago, I kinda noticed that the proportion of left-handers among autistic people I know , is bigger than that among the NT people I know.

While obviously not everyone with autism is left-handed and not every left-handed person has autism, there might well be some sort of correlation between autism and left-handedness, even if just a weak one.

But then again, it might just be a big coincidence, because as we all know: correlation does not imply causation.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 3:23 pm

One of the very, very, few lefties in my family history.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 3:36 pm

I'm right handed, but my dad (who is most likely autistic as well) is left handed. My brother is also right handed like me (again, my brother is very likely autistic), and my sister is ambidextrous (I don't know if she has ASD or not).

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2017, 3:36 pm

Got some lefties on my dad's side of the family, including myself and my dad. My autistic husband's also left handed. I love lefties :)

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 3:54 pm

I always write with my right hand. And I write in cursive! My print looks awful, which is one of the reasons I write in cursive, but the original reason was to improve my signature. xD

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 14, 2017)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 4:00 pm

I'm glad I grew up in an era where being-left-handed is no longer widely believed to be worse than death, at least in most developed countries. My brother is the only one who is right-handed, but when we were younger he would be a real jerk and tease me and said that left-handed people don't live as long. Well, you're older than me and a man, dear brother, so that should even the odds. :twisted:

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 5:36 pm

I'm left-handed, but I also have left-handed first-degree relatives so I'm unsure if genetics plays a part in my case.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

flibbit
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2017, 3:23 pm

Unfortunately, the title of the thread may draw the attention of left-handed auties preferentially, potentially skewing your results. A common problem in surveys.

An interesting topic nevertheless. I wrote a commentary recently on left-handedness in schizophrenia: here

I would imagine there's causal overlap of handedness in autism and schizophrenia, although understanding of the phenomena are still poor.

"There are surely other worlds than this -- other thoughts than the thoughts of the multitude -- other speculations than the speculations of the sophist. Who then shall call thy conduct into question? who blame thee for thy visionary hours, or denounce those occupations as the wasting away of life, which were but the overflowings of thine everlasting energies?" ~The Assignation, Edgar Allan Poe.