Autistic woman creates theater project for autistic women

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 12:48 am

Jessica Nolan creates Uniquely Us theatre project for autistic women in Bury

Quote:
Jessica Nolan, of Essex Drive, is starting the project Uniquely Us, to combat the social isolation that she felt growing up in the borough.

After struggling with bullying and difficulty making friends in mainstream schools, 24-year-old Jessica recognised a distinct lack of engagement for women with autism.

She said: “As an autistic woman born and raised in Bury I’ve experienced social isolation. I have spotted a gap and I want to make change and fill it. This project will help other women my age with autism engage in the arts and encourage their creativity and boost their confidence and social communication skills, without the chance of rejection or bullying

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 2:27 am

Things like this initiative is so great! I'm just so happy seeing people do something positive for themselves and others.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:52 pm

I have a friend in Denver, Brian B, who has helped with the entertainment at some of the AutHavens, and he is in charge of a theater and dance troupe for Autistic and other disabilities. They perform all over the place now. A while back I asked if there was room for someone old. He said that was being discussed and a very real possibility. But then I injured my leg, and also I moved to Pueblo [before we moved to Beulah]

I think what is starting to happen with Autistics and the arts is amazing [and about time] Joey Travolta, [John Travoltas brother] put together an acting group, speciffically for getting Autistics into films, a few years ago. Don't know if he is still active with it. I know it was still active a couple of years after his nephews death.