Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 2:33 am

President Donald Trump has privately mocked John McCain by mimicking a physical disability the Republican senator developed during his time as a prisoner-of-war.
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/09/2 ... humbs-down
Axios reports Trump has taken to imitating the thumbs-down McCain did to vote against the Senate's health care repeal in July.

The report suggests Trump impersonated the particular method of McCain's gesture, because the senator is unable to lift his arms in a conventional method.

"What more must my family be put through right now?" McCain's daughter Meghan tweeted in response to the claim.

"This is abhorrent."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 3:51 am

And the soap opera continues with diehard spectators hopelessly addicted.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 4:16 am

Empathy bypass?

"In his autobiography, “Faith of My Fathers,” published in 1999, McCain wrote that “nothing in life is more liberating than to fight for a cause larger than yourself, something that encompasses you but is not defined by your existence alone”—a theme that became part of his brief, joyful Presidential campaign, in 2000, and is bound to be recalled as people root for him in the wake of a brain-cancer diagnosis. The thing is, McCain really meant it. Could anyone imagine Donald Trump, or anyone in his orbit, fighting for, speaking up for, or defending any cause larger than himself? The question, alas, for all of us, answers itself."

- The New Yorker, July 2017

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 5:23 am

EzraS wrote:
Oh come on, you and I both know that the American media doesn't want people to get addicted to the hype and spectacle it produces. :wink: :lol:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 5:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
President Donald Trump has privately mocked John McCain by mimicking a physical disability the Republican senator developed during his time as a prisoner-of-war.
Axios reports Trump has taken to imitating the thumbs-down McCain did to vote against the Senate's health care repeal in July.

The report suggests Trump impersonated the particular method of McCain's gesture, because the senator is unable to lift his arms in a conventional method.

"What more must my family be put through right now?" McCain's daughter Meghan tweeted in response to the claim.

"This is abhorrent."

McCain has terminal cancer and I think he is intent on spending as many of the last days of his life that he can, making life as difficult for Trump as possible.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 5:39 am

Instead of merely stories about what Allen wrote, let's look directly at what he wrote.

Quote:
In private, President Trump has taken to physically mocking M&M: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (slumped shoulders; lethargic body language) and Sen. John McCain (imitating the thumbs-down of his historic health-care vote).

https://www.axios.com/trump-at-war-with-everyone-mocks-mccain-mcconnell-2490111904.html
Okay, where did Allen get that information? Was he himself in those private meetings to observe it first hand?

Here's a contrasting report.
Quote:
"Two sources present for Trump’s meeting with conservative leaders at the White House on Monday said the president was venting his frustration with McCain, who has consistently criticized Trump and twice contributed to killing GOP health-care reform proposals.
The sources confirmed that in the Monday meeting Trump mentioned McCain’s “thumbs down” vote but said he did not physically mock or imitate the gesture."

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/352700-meghan-mccain-rips-trump-over-report-he-is-physically-mocking-her-father
Okay, it references sources who were there; who are those sources and what is their agenda?

And then wondering who this Mike Allen is, I found this,
Quote:
by Katie McHugh8 Jan 20170
Mike Allen, co-founder of both Politico and the soon-to-launch Axios media company, praised Breitbart News for covering critical issues so often ignored and scorned by other outlets, implying they paved the way for his own new media effort.

“We admire so much of what’s been built at Breitbart. And—Charlie, Matt—one of the things we like about Breitbart is you do things people aren’t. And both journalistically and as a business, that’s a great place to be right now,” Allen told SiriusXM hosts Matthew Boyle and Charlie Spiering.

“Don’t be doing what other people are. It’s not working,” he added.

Asked why he decided to help launch Axios Media, Allen cited the overturning of the old establishment order.

“There’s never been a time where people are hungering for something new. So much of the legacy media right now is discredited, defensive, and as you know and your listeners benefit from, people are so hungry for illumination about this ‘New World.’ The new Washington, the new media,” he said. “So much of it took large swaths of the electorate and both the people who bring us our news and make news by surprise. So it’s a great time to be starting something new.”"

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/01/08/mike-allen-very-smart-breitbart-news-sees-business-tech-media-politics-colliding-and-converging/

Okay, so who is this Breitbart News that he is praising here? Breitbart News has itself been news during the past couple years.
Ah here's a reference, or two
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/27/business/media/breitbart-news-presidential-race.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/business/media/what-is-breitbart-news.html
Hmm, interesting.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 5:54 am

With Meghan McCain being mentioned, it might be of interest that last week at our library's withdrawn book sale I got, for 50 cents, her book Dirty Sexy Politics about her travels as part of the 2008 Presidential campaign. I don't know much of anything about her other than she has done political commentary and thought that 50 cents was worth the gamble.
It was an interesting account of the experience.
And the experience left her not at all impressed with the Republican establishment.
Very apparent in her book is the closeness of her family. Of course they have their ups and downs but in the end they are a family who care about each other.

Anyway, back to the news, given the sources, it seems to be anyone's guess what the real reality of the thing was; everyone has an agenda.
It is also true that Trump needs a filter: some things he does or says come across as not the best choice a person could have made.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 7:01 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Oh come on, you and I both know that the American media doesn't want people to get addicted to the hype and spectacle it produces. :wink: :lol:

When the nation roils itself about largely meaningless matters (such as hurt feelings), it is time to press the "ignore button." Sadly, however, there is a generation of Americans who grew up with these kinds of spectacles, and see it through their normalcy bias as ordinary. Among sophisticated politicos, it is called "distraction." And, distractions allow for much more important things to happen while most are watching the president, a senator and the Kardashians. Instead, watch the magician's hand in his pocket.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 28 Sep 2017, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2017, 7:11 am

wtf

And cross mocks that guy who was tortured to death :D

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2017, 7:13 am

Reading all these things about offended feelings i come to conclusion that empathy nowadays is a severe mental illness.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 7:36 am

I would not put it beyond Trump to do what he is accused of at all BUT

It is just a blanket statement without any sourcing named are otherwise.

If this happened Trump could have been mocking McCain without him thinking McCain is like that because of war injuries.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 9:16 am

Trump reminds me of some people I grew up with.

That's why I wish he would just go away.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2017, 9:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump reminds me of some people I grew up with.

That's why I wish he would just go away.

aaaa now i see :D

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 9:32 am

Chronos wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

"This is abhorrent."

McCain has terminal cancer and I think he is intent on spending as many of the last days of his life that he can, making life as difficult for Trump as possible.

Both my mother and stepfather, passionate Republicans, consider John McCain a "traitor" and don't care that he's suffering despite how they call themselves Christians. Then again, that's the Bible Belt for you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 9:52 am

John McCain is a patriot.

People have to start thinking, for crissakes.

Trump is causing decay in the brain.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 10:34 am

AspieUtah wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
EzraS wrote:

When the nation roils itself about largely meaningless matters (such as hurt feelings), it is time to press the "ignore button." Sadly, however, there is a generation of Americans who grew up with these kinds of spectacles, and see it through their normalcy bias as ordinary. Among sophisticated politicos, it is called "distraction." And, distractions allow for much more important things to happen while most are watching the president, a senator and the Kardashians. Instead, watch the magician's hand in his pocket.

Exactly! And while the citizens remain distracted, rooting for their team and trashing the other, they fail to understand that both teams are funded by the oligarchs, who continue to carve up more of the pie for themselves.

Oscar Meyer Lansky