My Mum thinks I'm autistic, so misinterpreting abusive past

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 1:12 am

By the way, there is something called Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, C-PTSD for short, which has a lot of things in common with autism. It's fairly unusual, but with your history of childhood abuse, it should at least be ruled out.

One of many reasons why nobody could diagnose you online is that people tend to leave out stuff they think is irrelevant. It is very difficult to know what is relevant in this case.

I think you should certainly see someone about this. The childhood abuse itself ought to be dealt with, and if you are indeed autistic, you will have processed these events in a different way.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Oct 2017, 5:22 am

Cratilla wrote:
It may be worth mentioning then that I'm a female-to-male transsexual - a demographic known to have high rates of autism, but also raised as female so if girls are less likely to be spotted...

I'm glad that's obvious to you - it was only a few years ago that I began considering it to be abuse, and I'm completely dependent on other people's reactions as to what 'counts'.

Honestly, I have no idea why I imagined the strangling story as of a little girl and then it all went that way in my head. But I hope you're not angry for this, are you?

Cratilla wrote:
I am thinking it would be helpful to get an assessment, will need to see how possible it would be to get it... I have no doubt that I have sizeable social problems, which I've been working on. It's been on the belief that it's social anxiety, as "work on my issues and overcome it". I could be headed in the wrong direction if it's actually due to autism, as more of a "my brain works a little differently, learn how to manage but I shouldn't expect to change who I am".

Wise approach :)

Cratilla wrote:
Part of the argument that I'm misinterpreting things is that I'm blowing minor things out of proportion, because autism.

Like, the time that I became strong enough to catch her wrists when her anger flipped and she tried giving me a whack, so stopped her, so she shut herself in her bedroom self-harming, then came out and announced that she had done so. She said this event was "not earth shattering", which I accepted yesterday. But it's only after that I've been comparing that to how someone else's reaction was to make a face resembling this: 8O , and tell me very clearly how she thought something wasn't quite right in my Mum.

Self-harming is nothing minor. Self-harming and then blaming the kid is something quite major.

Cratilla wrote:
This is very helpful though - given that I have quite a lot of self-hatred, it is not difficult to persuade me that I'm 'defective' therefore deserving of it. My perceptions are all over the place, but I went to some length to confirm my memories so that I can be sure that what I think happened did happen. So the only way I can judge things like this is laying out what I know to be the case, and having other people interpret it.

I can relate to this. I was so much denied my own perspective and emotions that at some point of my life I couldn't tell what was real, questioned my own memory and feelings. The bad thing was, I was then misdiagnosed with schizophrenia and if it wasn't for my "vulcan" logic working even under high medication, I would be a drugged vegetable today. Yeah, unfortunately, even the psychs could gaslight you if you had a bad luck with them :(
But I went out of that and wish you do it too! If a psych does not validate what you feel, look for another one until you find one that actually helps.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Cratilla
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2017, 6:40 am

underwater wrote:
By the way, there is something called Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, C-PTSD for short, which has a lot of things in common with autism. It's fairly unusual, but with your history of childhood abuse, it should at least be ruled out.

One of many reasons why nobody could diagnose you online is that people tend to leave out stuff they think is irrelevant. It is very difficult to know what is relevant in this case.

I think you should certainly see someone about this. The childhood abuse itself ought to be dealt with, and if you are indeed autistic, you will have processed these events in a different way.

Ah, if there's a lot of overlap, that doesn't half complicate matters.

And make me think more so that a professional assessment may be worthwhile.

The cost of professional help is too much, but solely the diagnostic part may be within budget (hopefully), and point me in the right direction in how best to help myself.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2017, 7:45 am

Broken Sun Beam wrote:
Cratilla wrote:
I don't really have a specific question. I know you aren't professionals, and I know also that forums must get pretty sick of all the "hey am I X" threads. This has just thrown me and I don't know how to feel about it or respond to it, really.

Just to put in context, whilst being irrelevant to this forum - I have some dodgy childhood events, e.g. when my Dad strangled me for going to bed late, I went to my Mum for help. Who had me apologising for disturbing her, and punished me by not letting me sleep.

Yesterday my Mum suggested that I am misinterpreting things, and that actually I'm autistic and don't understand what happened. She said that the reason why was that she had seen a programme on autistic speech patterns and that it resembled me as a kid, and that she thinks I'm not recognising her emotions.

Half the people I've ever got on well with have been autistic, and if I was autistic as well, you'd have thought that they'd have mentioned it? Seems unlikely to have got this far (I'm 25) without anyone saying anything.

I asked my (non-autistic) ex, who replied:

"You do have some autistic quirks like disliking looking at people in the eyes, rocking back and forth sometimes, not a great grasp on social interaction, fidgeting.
But I don't think they are exclusive to autism?"

I did the AQ test and scored 31... So, maybe?

It's possible that what I've always thought is social anxiety could be mild autism. I struggle a lot in social situations, and don't really have friends. I do a lot better when there's structure (e.g. I can give prepared presentations no problem), but can't manage well when the structure is implicit (very social, just chatting, etc.) - it's like everyone else is working from a rulebook that nobody gave to me.

(When I do talk, it tends to be me just throwing information at people at high speed. Like when previous boss was alone in a car with me for hours, so I told him everything he could ever need to know about arachnid mating habits. Realised much later that he may not have been interested!)

If the social issues were autism rather than social anxiety, then maybe other little quirks could be part of it?

In childhood, I refused to allow things to change (e.g. replacing curtains, changing crisp brand), had a set of things I had to do around the room each night to go to bed, and I was a fussy eater (even then would separate food rather than eating it mixed).
I'm not very good at recognising my emotions, which I thought was part of a defence mechanism to do with how I was treated in childhood - but maybe isn't, because I'm not good at reading other people's either. I flick my middle finger against my thumb when I get stressed or excited, is that stimming?

But maybe I'm now overthinking it.

I don't know how to respond to being told this and where to go from here. Any responses highly appreciated.

I think Autism is possible. But I also think your mother is gaslighting you. Autism doesn't affect your memories like that...

Objection!

Yes it does it you get sucked up into your interest. It's coping, just autistic coping.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

Cratilla

23 Oct 2017, 9:11 am

magz wrote:
Honestly, I have no idea why I imagined the strangling story as of a little girl and then it all went that way in my head. But I hope you're not angry for this, are you?

Don't worry, you're fine, I didn't take it that way

magz wrote:
I can relate to this. I was so much denied my own perspective and emotions that at some point of my life I couldn't tell what was real, questioned my own memory and feelings. The bad thing was, I was then misdiagnosed with schizophrenia and if it wasn't for my "vulcan" logic working even under high medication, I would be a drugged vegetable today. Yeah, unfortunately, even the psychs could gaslight you if you had a bad luck with them :(
But I went out of that and wish you do it too! If a psych does not validate what you feel, look for another one until you find one that actually helps.

I know some of that feel. Fortunately not to the extent of a misdiagnosis - how'd you get out of that one?

I mistakenly thought I was psychopathic for a while, because self-hatred meant I blamed myself + my disconnection. I'm a little less disconnected now, but I've also used the word vulcan.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Oct 2017, 9:41 am

Cratilla wrote:
magz wrote:

I know some of that feel. Fortunately not to the extent of a misdiagnosis - how'd you get out of that one?

I mistakenly thought I was psychopathic for a while, because self-hatred meant I blamed myself + my disconnection. I'm a little less disconnected now, but I've also used the word vulcan.

I was having some doubts like if the doctor was really listening to what I say... I had a misty feeling that he accepted anything that fitted his theory and rejected any information that could prove him wrong. But I was on the edge of dissociation, havily drugged and couldn't speak it all to him, just went mute in a confrontation.
But then I catched something provable: He showed surprise when I told him I had a job. Damn, two or three weeks earlier I was asking him if I needed an additional insurance for a business journey! So I had a solid proof he wasn't listening to me.
I remembered the name of a psychiatrist I was visiting because of my depression some 5 years earlier. Visited him "for a second opinion" and told him about all my doubts - I wasn't able to confront the one I disagreed with. The second doc changed the diagnosis from schizophrenia to depression with psychotic features, changed my medication to stop anti-psychotic drugs and to treat the depression instead. I never came back to the previous doctor.
I'm now on SSRI and low doses of quetiapine, been like that for over a year. I applied psychotherapy some 8 months ago, when I found a good therapist - doc thought it was "too early" but respected my decision. These two combined made me functioning far better than ever.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Cratilla

23 Oct 2017, 5:08 pm

magz wrote:

I was having some doubts like if the doctor was really listening to what I say... I had a misty feeling that he accepted anything that fitted his theory and rejected any information that could prove him wrong. But I was on the edge of dissociation, havily drugged and couldn't speak it all to him, just went mute in a confrontation.
But then I catched something provable: He showed surprise when I told him I had a job. Damn, two or three weeks earlier I was asking him if I needed an additional insurance for a business journey! So I had a solid proof he wasn't listening to me.
I remembered the name of a psychiatrist I was visiting because of my depression some 5 years earlier. Visited him "for a second opinion" and told him about all my doubts - I wasn't able to confront the one I disagreed with. The second doc changed the diagnosis from schizophrenia to depression with psychotic features, changed my medication to stop anti-psychotic drugs and to treat the depression instead. I never came back to the previous doctor.
I'm now on SSRI and low doses of quetiapine, been like that for over a year. I applied psychotherapy some 8 months ago, when I found a good therapist - doc thought it was "too early" but respected my decision. These two combined made me functioning far better than ever.[/quote]

Damn.

I've had my fair share of sh***y psychs on the gender s**t, the ones who refuse to listen and basically end up controlling you into what they've decided is the case. Sounds like yours is from that type.

Good thing you got a better doctor!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 5:21 pm

My mom was the same way. Whenever something negative happened to me, it was always my fault somehow, I "misinterpreted" it, or it never happened. She even said a few times that she had heard or read somewhere that autistic people are prone to develop false memories. She also told me that autistic people get brainwashed by their therapists into thinking they were abused when in reality they had just "misinterpreted". And so therapists were responsible for tearing families apart.

Cratilla

23 Oct 2017, 6:26 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
My mom was the same way. Whenever something negative happened to me, it was always my fault somehow, I "misinterpreted" it, or it never happened. She even said a few times that she had heard or read somewhere that autistic people are prone to develop false memories. She also told me that autistic people get brainwashed by their therapists into thinking they were abused when in reality they had just "misinterpreted". And so therapists were responsible for tearing families apart.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I know what it's like to be blamed for how you are treated. Did she also do the martyr complex thing, where somehow she is always the victim?

I don't mean to imply anything here, so I mean no offence. I just need to understand implications of my Mum's claims.

Are there any ways in which autism has affected your interpretations or memories? Or any ways that you know it can do, even if you haven't experienced it personally?

My Mum claimed that autism was meaning that I was misinterpreting things, and muddling up cause and effect.

Spaced
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2017, 6:36 pm

Some of your examples are words I have used myself: no one explaining the rule book in particular. Sounds a bit like some asd and possibly Adhd symptoms. If you are on the spectrum, then I would trust your gut on the issue.

Some say: politics, fairness and injustices are strong motivators for us, which is true for me. So your intuition is probably correct. If someone's is insulting or abusing, in your mind, then there's a fair chance your right.

I had abusive mother, not violent. But deffo a depriver, and denial extraordinaire.
But I needed her memories for my assessment. maybe you could fool your mother.
Tell her your getting tested for Adhd.
And ask your assessor (if and when)
To send mother a test.
Your mother (if she thinks like mine-abusers remember..) then she will gladly fill in as correctly and harshly as possible. As Adhd is tagged with difficult child label. Shel feel vindicated instead of ashamed. Worked for me.. ;)

shilohmm
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2017, 7:13 pm

Cratilla wrote:
Are there any ways in which autism has affected your interpretations or memories? Or any ways that you know it can do, even if you haven't experienced it personally?

My Mum claimed that autism was meaning that I was misinterpreting things, and muddling up cause and effect.

I'm not sure how autism could cause someone to muddle up cause and effect. Also don't see how that's pertinent in terms of what you've described. Strangling a kid for anything, or punishing a kid for reporting this fact, are just plain wrong things to do, whatever the person's motive for doing them. There's no cause I could think of that would justify either of them.

It is possible for people on the spectrum to experience a stronger response to punishment than NTs do -- a punishment that would possibly be reasonable for an NT (who both understands why it's happening and has a normal reaction to physical stimulus) can be perceived as abusive by someone on the spectrum, and can traumatize someone on the spectrum when it wouldn't an NT. But that's stuff like spanking a kid or losing one's temper and screaming or other "normal" parent/child interactions. Not, mind you, that I personally think these are good parenting techniques -- but they're well within the standards of normal.

What you described is not normal. The fact that it may have had more impact on you than on someone else is beside the point.

I've seen it argued that people on the spectrum are more prone to remember negative events than positive, so in that sense autism may have had an impact on memory, but I've not seen it suggested that these negative memories were in any sense created. The memories are accurate, so far as they go, it's just that autistics remember a larger proportion of negative things and a smaller proportion of positive, than NTs do.

It is certainly possible for an autistic person to misinterpret why someone did something, or what some statement meant. In a medical situation, say, an autistic who is overwhelmed or simply doesn't communicate might think the doctors mean harm when subjected to some painful procedure meant to help them or whatever, but outside of that kind of extreme situation I don't think misinterpretation would be much of an issue. Autistics can also be a lot less likely to accept justifications for things though, or to let social fictions smooth things over ("I'm your mother, so of course I did it because I love you" kind of stuff), which abusers tend to find pretty inconvenient. :wink:

If you're on the spectrum, there probably have been times when you misunderstood what your mother was doing and why. Maybe you regularly misread her emotions. But if you can step back and see that what was done was just plain wrong, that blindness on your part is not pertinent.

Cratilla

24 Oct 2017, 1:58 am

Spaced wrote:
But I needed her memories for my assessment. maybe you could fool your mother.

Fortunately my Dad is pretty good, if a parent is needed for assessment. He very occasionally loses his temper in a way he shouldn't, but his overall pattern is supportive.

He should be truthful, whereas I can't trust my Mum's judgement.

He's not impressed at my Mum pushing fault onto me. He also sees mild autism as a pointless label - he's an engineer who says that 'The Big Bang Theory' is true to life, and says that it's just people with a masculine logical personality type getting an unnecessary label.

But he has taken my point in that working out the cause of social problems would be helpful in managing them.

Cratilla

24 Oct 2017, 2:35 am

Thank you for answering so in depth.

shilohmm wrote:
Autistics can also be a lot less likely to accept justifications for things though, or to let social fictions smooth things over ("I'm your mother, so of course I did it because I love you" kind of stuff), which abusers tend to find pretty inconvenient. :wink:

Bahaha yes, I never accepted "I'm the mother and you're a child" argument.

One point my Mum has that's probably fair is that I wouldn't drop things. She said something wrong or made a bad argument, and I'd stubbornly not let it slide and us move on... I was probably a bad match for an illogical parent with anger problems!

For me, a disagreement couldn't be concluded when there were unaddressed falsehoods, and I can see why that'd be infuriating for someone who doesn't care about being accurate.

shilohmm wrote:
If you're on the spectrum, there probably have been times when you misunderstood what your mother was doing and why. Maybe you regularly misread her emotions. But if you can step back and see that what was done was just plain wrong, that blindness on your part is not pertinent.

She's claimed the emotion thing for a long time. There's a line in my childhood diary where she calls me cold (but she's also just threatened to kick me out and starve me).

I do have a certain disconnect from emotions and empathy that perhaps was there in childhood to some extent rather than only recently? It's not that I don't ever feel or don't care, but I think I'm not good at recognising emotions beyond the basic, and not good at attaching them to specific instances happening in front of me. So I rely more on trying to work things out logically, and my responses likely come off 'cold' (especially as I don't know how to react even if I have identified things correctly). My ex was very clearly the one carrying the emotional burden in our relationship, whilst I stumbled through confused. I have no idea whether that lines up with autistic issues with emotions/empathy though.

I'm thinking that the conclusion to all this is that my mum's actions were not normal nor excusable. But as a non-excusable explanation, reacting to my traits may have contributed to her flying off on one. I was considered to be a weird and annoying kid (which is probably why I was picked on in school), so very possible that those traits helped set her off.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 8:20 am

Cratilla wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

I'm sorry that happened to you. I know what it's like to be blamed for how you are treated. Did she also do the martyr complex thing, where somehow she is always the victim?

I don't mean to imply anything here, so I mean no offence. I just need to understand implications of my Mum's claims.

Feeling like she is the victim? Pretty much yes.

I don't know. I think being autistic ENHANCES my memory. I could remember things that happened to me as a toddler as if they happened the previous day. I remember talking to a neighbor girl I rode the school-bus with and asking her about something her friend said (something about how she got these latex gloves. If I gave her my stuffed animal, she would tell me. I wasn't about to hand over my stuffed animal just like that and I figured she'd just make something up anyway.) I asked the other girl about half a decade later what really went on and she said that a RN had come to the classroom handed out latex gloves as a survivor of the visit and she was supervised I remembered that. My mom would only compliment me on my ability to remember if it wasn't something that involved her doing something wrong. If it was something she did wrong, she would either claim it never happened and tell me autistic people also have false memory syndrome.

shilohmm
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2017, 10:08 am

Cratilla wrote:

One point my Mum has that's probably fair is that I wouldn't drop things. She said something wrong or made a bad argument, and I'd stubbornly not let it slide and us move on... I was probably a bad match for an illogical parent with anger problems!

For me, a disagreement couldn't be concluded when there were unaddressed falsehoods, and I can see why that'd be infuriating for someone who doesn't care about being accurate.

My dad will straight out lie about what he believes in order to keep an argument going -- he loves to argue -- so I dealt with the situation in your last sentence a lot. And, yeah, I am unable to drop some things. Sometimes because I just can't be comfortable until it's resolved, and sometimes because I'm caught in a "loop." This is likely related to the autistic trait perseveration. To quote an article that's no longer up:

Quote:
Perseveration usually refers to behavior such as lining up toys, repeating words or phrases, or obsessing about a special interest.
Perseveration can also happen with emotions. When I’m trying to explain to my husband something that’s frustrating me, my brain can get stuck in an endless loop, like a broken record. And when that happens, the same emotions and words just get played over and over.

Your comments on being disconnected from emotions and empathy sounds to me like someone on the spectrum. The original theory was that autistics were unemotional; some researchers have now flipped that and decided that autistics have such strong emotions, and are so sensitive to other people's emotions, that emotions overwhelm them, and one frequent solution is to retreat into logic and rationality. Plus autistics are somewhat blind to social cues and rules, so, as you say, even correctly identifying people's respective emotional states often doesn't help a whole lot.

Speaking as someone who dealt with it big time growing up, personality clashes between parent and child can definitely make things a lot harder. But, speaking as a mother of five surviving kids, I absolutely hold the parent primarily accountable on that one. Parents choose to have children, knowing it's a roll of the dice; kids don't choose to be born, and the one making the choice is the one with the greater responsibility. (A line of logic my mother found completely deplorable....) The fact that you may have been a difficult child in no way excuses abuse to my mind.

Cratilla

24 Oct 2017, 3:46 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Feeling like she is the victim? Pretty much yes.

I don't know. I think being autistic ENHANCES my memory. I could remember things that happened to me as a toddler as if they happened the previous day. I remember talking to a neighbor girl I rode the school-bus with and asking her about something her friend said (something about how she got these latex gloves. If I gave her my stuffed animal, she would tell me. I wasn't about to hand over my stuffed animal just like that and I figured she'd just make something up anyway.) I asked the other girl about half a decade later what really went on and she said that a RN had come to the classroom handed out latex gloves as a survivor of the visit and she was supervised I remembered that. My mom would only compliment me on my ability to remember if it wasn't something that involved her doing something wrong. If it was something she did wrong, she would either claim it never happened and tell me autistic people also have false memory syndrome.

Damn, that's some memory. My memory is sh*te as, but that doesn't mean I make things up to fill the blanks!

Ahh, your mom has the convenient memory thing too? Remembers what is useful, doesn't remember what would put her in a bad light...