Can you drive?
Yes. 61%  61%  [ 25 ]
No. 39%  39%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 41

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2017, 12:02 am

I never learned to drive. I still have the idea that something terrible would happen with me at the wheel.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 1:37 am

I can drive, but I don't have a drivers license, its a permit and I am 27 lol. But yeah so I mostly take the bus...I am probably going to try and take the test for a license in the next couple of years so far I also have not been in a position to afford a car so that's a big part of it. I mean why pay for a license when you can't even get a car. But I have driven with my permit and I know how...I'd probably need to practice some to take the test but I don't think you really forget how to drive.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2017, 2:53 am

Yes, both cars and motorbikes. However (like my avatar suggests) I prefer motorbikes because they give more spatial awareness and they're generally more fun to drive. I also appreciate the differences between different types of motorbikes more than I do with cars.

C2V wrote:
Within the next fortnight, I am also learning to ride a motorbike and drive a stick shift. :mrgreen:

Good luck!

akn90 wrote:
I believe the British have a great deal of discipline and an affinity for rules so hopefully those cultural attributes translate to their driving habits!

Unfortunately road-borne idiots are international.

Last edited by TUAndrew on 24 Oct 2017, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 3:06 am

Daniel89 wrote:
I am considering learning to drive but it just seems overwhelming to me how many of you can drive?

I held off driving for the longest time for the same reasons I'm sure you did. It just seemed there were far too many variables that I could not control and a very overwhelming situation indeed. It's not my driving ability that I doubted but it was everybody else on the road that I couldn't predict or tell what their intentions were especially behind a massive hunk of metal that could possibly kill both of us. I didn't start driving until I was 35.

I'm sorry but I'm probably not being very helpful but make no mistake about it, for all Autistics driving can be a very overwhelming experience for sure. Even now after many years of driving both personally and professionally I still have a great deal of difficulty with it. I stim constantly and it seems I'm always angry and I can't relax for the life of me while driving especially in the big city. If I'm out on the open road on the highway where there's nobody else around, then no problem. But amongst a whole bunch of people of which I'm assuming are nothing but lousy NTs then my problems begin to mount.

If I could afford to pay someone to drive me around then I would. I only drive because I have to but all in all, driving in the big city is extremely overwhelming for me especially when the population is over a million people.

Drive only if you absolutely have to gang because for people like us Autistics, driving is nothing but one massive unpredictable and uncontrollable situation. Overstimulation will be the biggest problem here.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)