School designs restraining desk for Autistic 2nd grader

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 12:35 am

La Porte school forced girl with autism to sit at confined desk, parents claim

Quote:
The parents of a child with autism say their second grader was forced to sit at a desk designed to confine her without their knowledge. They said they were tipped-off by changes in their daughter's behavior.

"I noticed the behavior of my daughter changing. She would have frequent meltdowns when she'd come in," the girl's father, Charles Castle, said.

It's been nearly a month since 7-year-old Kennedi Castle last set foot inside Kingsford Heights Elementary in LaPorte County, Indiana.

Her parents withdrew her after one day her father walked into her second grade classroom only to discover a specially modified desk with wooden panels surrounding it to stop her from trying to slide out. Kennedi is diagnosed with autism.

"It was never notified to me that there was ever a problem. It was never documented. It was never told to me that my daughter had a behavioral problem that was escalated to the level to justify this contraption around my daughter's desk," Castle said.

According to Indiana state law, "seclusion or restraint shall not be used as routine school safety measures; that is, they shall not be implemented except in situations where a child's behavior or action poses imminent risk of injury." The parents must also be notified.

"The director told us, 'the teacher's heart was in the right place,'" the child's mother, Heather Castle, said.

“Any school should never restrain a child unless someone's life is in danger," said Scott Badesch, president and CEO of the Autism Society of America.

The ASA shares the Castles' frustrations and concern.

"Imagine if your son or daughter goes to school and you find out the school is doing something to physically restrain that child and they don't tell you, you would be livid," Badesch said.

The Castles want everyone involved and authorized to use that modified desk to be disciplined. They're also calling for cameras to be installed in special education classrooms.

The Department of Education has 40 calendar days to investigate and resolve the complaint.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 4:01 pm

Our school got our daughter medicated in prep school

These are some of the "Sophies choices" parents have to make if they want to keep their autistic kid in mainstream school

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 8:02 am

My second grade teacher would physically tie AD/HD and autistic kids to their desks.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 9:12 am

That's what you get out of a factory model of education that values form more than function and appearances and test scores more than the minds of the children they are responsible for.

Regulate it?? Reform it?? Make me laugh!! We've been doing that for as long as I've been cognizant (about three decades now, if you define "cognizant" rather harshly in terms of the ability to approximate adult reasoning). Far as I can tell, the situation is degenerating rather than improving.

TEAR IT DOWN. Find a way to change all four tires (more like rebuild the entire drive train) while the vehicle is in motion.

Or "pull the car over" and make the necessary repairs. That would, of course, cause social upheaval and hardship on a massive scale. As parents, the majority of us depend on the public school system to do a lot more than just educate our kids. I COULD take my kids out of school for two years, and the worst that would happen is that they would fall behind on their academics because I lack the executive function to pull a functional home school for four different grade levels out of thin air (and don't remember much algebra or speak more than enough Spanish to find a bathroom). The majority of American families don't have that luxury.

The question we need to be asking isn't "How do we deal with, or punish, this kind of coercive stupidity?". Frankly, this kind of coercive stupidity is built into the system. The questions we need to be asking are, "How do we reform a fundamentally broken system?" and "What can we do to facilitate that reform??".

I can provide a safe place for three or four kids to spend the day while their parents are at work, while the system is shut down, dismantled, and rebuilt to ACTUALLY DO WHAT THEY TELL US IT'S SUPPOSED TO. I can feed them and prevent them from dying or getting into trouble in most of the myriad ways a child can come up with to self-destruct.

What can you do?? If we're actually going to CHANGE THE THING, it's going to take all hands on deck.

Somewhat off-topic, but maybe not: I got a (computerized) phone call from my kids' (very well-rated, fairly affluent compared to my past experience) school yesterday. To "reassure" me that the police had been summoned to deal with some "distasteful graffiti" in the high school boys' bathroom, and all was well.

Now, I have no idea of the nature of the graffiti in question. Inquiring among my school-aged children produced only the information that they were totally unaware that anything had taken place (expected, at least of the fifth and second graders, though I'd hoped the sophomore might know something). I thought, "Really?? I think y'all skipped a few steps in threat-assessment here..."

Only, of course, they didn't. They followed the correct procedure for appearing to be dealing with the worst possible appearance of a problem.