Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 12:49 am

Quote:
Does anyone here live independently? If so, how is it?

Awesome and crap at the same time, having to make sure the place does not end up a gigantic mess, and having to keep close tabs on the economy, not forgetting to bring home food, paying bills. You learn to cope with all that. I use autogiro every month to take care of the rent and electricity so i don't end up on the streets, i have money, i just forget.

Quote:
What struggles do you face?

Loneliness and isolation. The above stuff about forgetting to do things. Sometimes even forgetting to eat when i'm home. If i work, it is easier to remember, i go and eat something when everyone else does. Since i do not have a TV or anything, i don't keep track of time. When i lived at home i could hear dad listening to late night shows and i knew that in 1-2 hours it was time for bed, only perception of time i have is when the alarm on my mobile goes of and it's time to take my medicine.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 3:29 am

I moved in with my boyfriend, now my husband, and never left. So that worked out OK.
I've had a lot of luck, though. Very mild aspergers with minimal sensory issues, can drive, and able to hold down a job (most of the time). Went undiagnosed until recently.
But my house is a total mess and I STILL get in trouble over forgetting to pay my bills :oops:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 3:54 am

My AS mom lived in her small van for the warm half of the year for the last half of her life. She'd just drive enough most days to change the scenery or visit an old acquaintance briefly. All her relationships were superficial, so that worked well.
I have been on the road far less, usually renting until my late 50s. It is nice not having to deal with a landlady, and to have more control over the place. However, the government can be even harder to deal with, and if the neighbourhood changes, it is far harder to move. Yes, I have some equity, but it is not a very liquid asset, and is a moderately risky investment. I can't guess within 50% what I'd get if I sold. It also requires maintenance, which can be unpredictable and very expensive. Perhaps the biggest advantage is social class. I get better treatment from the Police, (or luck) and I don't see a support group do a big yawn over rental problems. Of course, there's a whole new pecking order among homeowners, and some of them are feisty about it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 9:27 am

I wish I could live in a nice, heated/air-conditioned van that I can drive around at will.

In NYC, it's very difficult to live out of your car.

There's a strong strain of the itinerant in me.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 4:16 am

Living in a caravan has always appealed to me, although I suspect it's a lot harder than it looks. I worry about security most, I think I would feel very vulnerable. Do you mean you are living in your car? that must be scary.