I know they're only trying to help but this still annoys me.

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 7:21 pm

I don't want to even bother clicking the link to read the site, etc. cause I'll just become frustrated with idiot NTs who constantly jump to unsubstantiated conclusions (like, for example, the mercury thing).

1. better diagnostics
2. the public is more aware
3. Aspergers just added to Autistic Spectrum in 1994 in the US. For god's sake, they just added another disorder to the ruddy spectrum! What do they expect??? (And what was that quote somewhere about the Spectrum increasing over the last TEN years or something?... or since 1994?)
3. lotsa undiagnosed parents with diagnosed kids, duh. I mean, how many of those parents of Autistic kids would test Aspie or HFA themselves???

You know, there is an epidemic going on from what I can see. An NT-Jumping-To-Conclusions Epidemic!

[/rant]

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 9:51 pm

Sophist wrote:
[size=15]

3. Aspergers just added to Autistic Spectrum in 1994 in the US. For god's sake, they just added another disorder to the ruddy spectrum! What do they expect??? (And what was that quote somewhere about the Spectrum increasing over the last TEN years or something?... or since 1994?)

Are you refering to this bullshi* politician's quote?

Senator Lieberman wrote:
If you look at the statistics about the incredible increase in...uh....Autism...uh...during the nineties...uh, it went from...it went through...I guess it's something like... it increased four thousand percent, and at the same time...uh.... we changed the uh requirements or the normal vaccine dosage including a lot of the vaccines that had the Themerisol in them. You gotta ask yourself isn't there some connection between these two things?

Pure vote-grabbing genius! :D

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 10:49 pm

I don't think it was that one, but that is quite PRICELESS, hehehe

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 11:13 pm

I think most of those organisations have good intentions, but they are misguided. The shot doesn't cause autism.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2005, 12:29 am

With that Mercury thing, nobody from those sites seems to care that the Mercury hasn't been used since 1999. But %s are still increasing. But no one wants to pay attention to that. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 2:06 am

I think you should not be pissed off by the stupidity of NT's, just amused. True ignorence cannot be blamed on the person. If someone ignores the truth, they arent really ignorent, infact theyre aware of the truth and ignore it. So if someone reads about autism the incredible disease caused by X if you are a concerned normally emotional person you may be pushed to think "well, we really oughta do something about that!"

They're heart is in the right place but they're misinformed. Those guys who are making rediculous correlations between mercury poisoning and autism are just doing bad work. If there was some guy who was trying to make a correlation between african americanism and autism, then i might be worried and try to take action to correct them. But you can't go around correcting people who think harmlessly wrong things. The only people who are going to learn about the truth behind autism are people who are specifically looking for information on it. That usually goes for every knowledge or truth in the world.

People who go around with bad information thinking wrong things arent REALLY interested in the subject. They just see a problem and guess a solution.

Like i know someone who hates the free market economy. He went off on how much the free market hurts us, but then i asked him how much research he had done into the way economies worked. Nothing. Infact the only reason he didn't like the free market is because someone in his church whose opinion he respected told him the free market was really bad for us. I asked him if he would be willing to reconsider his opinion if i gave him information about economies. He decided no, he was probably right despite anything i could put together.

So he wasnt REALLY interested in economies, he was just interested in finding a problem and guessing a solution.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2005, 2:25 am

magic wrote:
I guess I was a "healthy" NT until I contracted AS from a magazine a year ago. ;)

What parent, either now or 20 years ago, does not notice that their child who spoke at one year is no longer speaking

Did those parents 20 years ago not notice these things?

Funny. I contracted AS from Google. There I was, just minding my own business and searching for clues to the origin of my dysgraphia when I followed a link to the OASIS page and *BOOM* I came down with a contageous strain of AS -- not only did *I* get it, but it turns out most of my family also got it at the same time!

FWIW, my mother noticed my speech development was unusual but the doctor told her I wasn't deaf so she had nothing to worry about. Later when my brother developed severe behavior problems a different doctor said he was just stressed and she should stop complaining about his speech impediment and social problems....

The reason there are so few autistic adults is because most of us managed to integrate ourselves into society without any help from the medical profession. I might well have lived my entire life without ever being included in the statistics if I hadn't found that OASIS page and then decided to get a second opinion from a shrink...

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2005, 2:36 am

GalileoAce wrote:
If mercury is so damaging to developing brains, wouldn't there be an 'epidemic' of Downs Syndrome, or Cerebal Palsy or some such condition?

Downs Syndrome is a purely genetic problem. Murcury can't cause or cure it.

Cerebral Palsy is caused by oxygen starvation during birth. Mercury poisoning (and lead poisoning) does lead to motor problems but I think the mechanism is different -- CP damages the brain motor control area, whereas mercury damages the actual nerves between the brain and the muscles.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2005, 2:55 am

[DELETED]

Last edited by GalileoAce on 02 Apr 2006, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 2:32 am

What I'm really annoyed with right now is that my parents saw this talk show yesterday where a bunch of parents looking for something or someone to blame for their kid's Autism went on a rant about mercury in vaccines and then they had one doctor at the end who gave a short rebuttal. It's
really annoying because they seem to be convinced and I'm even less pleased that they are spreading this theory around. Personally I strongly favor the theory that there is a genetic link. I think taking mercury out of shots is a good idea, but should not be done in any manner that would give any appearance of credibility to the notion that mercury causes Autism.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 3:20 am

Nomaken, the only thing which angers me about the continuation of the Mercury scare, is that some parents are refusing to allow their kids to be vaccinated. That is NOT safe. Now, such children are at risk due to ignorance and this poppycock.

Let's burn witches again while we're at it!
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 3:21 am

--Or even: Let's have our children unvaccinated during a biological terrorist attack!!

(Granted, extreme. But we, ourselves, are opening ourselves up to it.)

magic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 10:48 am

Jetson wrote:
Funny. I contracted AS from Google. There I was, just minding my own business and searching for clues to the origin of my dysgraphia when I followed a link to the OASIS page and *BOOM* I came down with a contageous strain of AS -- not only did *I* get it, but it turns out most of my family also got it at the same time!

OMG! This Google is such a health risk! Why aren't authorities doing anything?! Save the world from a fate worse than death! Stop Contagious Autism Now (SCAN)! !!

Returning to serious matters, I think that MMR hypothesis is false. I was spared the vaccine, and suffered as a kid through all three illnesses: measles, mumps and rubella. Yet it didn't save me from being a weirdo who ended up here on WrongPlanet. ;)

Torak
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2005, 2:08 pm

I cannot take those web sites and articles seriously if they cannot even get their facts straight.

*** Rant alert ***

They state that mercury is the second most poisonous element after plutonium.

WRONG!

Radium (an Alkaline earth metal) is the most poisonous element, ten thousand times deadlier than plutonium. It can get into the bones (simiar chemistry to Calcium but far more reactive) and cause lethal cancers due to it's high radioactivity and relatively short half life in contrast to Pu-239.

Pu-239 has half life of 47,000 years.
Ra-226 has half life of 1,600 years.

So radium 226 (the most common isotope) has a half life 30 times shorter than the most common isotope of plutonium. The only radio-isotopes you could find more radioactive than this would be either fallout or radioactive waste. Then you must consider the short half-lives and extreme radioactivity of the breakdown products (Radon, Polonium)

Pu-239 is toxic but not that toxic!

They used to drink radium water in the years up to the 1920s as it was considered a miracle cure-all. This was proved to be a dreadfully erroneous assumption.

Radium compounds (minute quantities) were also used in paint to make luminous watch hands. The ladies who worked in these factories used to lick the paint brushes to get them into a fine point. Cancer levels in these factories were way over the national average. Bone cancers, auto-immune system, mouth, jaw.

And that was coming into contact with minute quantities from the brushes.

Chemically. plutonium is probably at a similar level of toxicity to uranium and other metals in the actinide series. Radium is one of the most active elements known and this makes it lethal, especially in combination with the radioactivity and half-life.

*** Rant over ***

That felt good. :D