One-sided sunglasses for sensory problems?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2017, 5:37 pm

I have a lot of trouble with fluorescent lights, and it's been worse than usual lately. In the past, I've considered using tinted lenses as a possible solution, but I really don't want to be that one oddball wearing sunglasses indoors. So it occurred to me that there might be a type of sunglass that's like car tint - darkened on one side and appearing clear on the other. But I've done a few searches now and couldn't find anything that met that description. I feel like it must exist, though. I just can't seem to find it. Has anyone come across something like this before?

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Oct 2017, 9:16 pm

I haven't heared of or seen sunglasses like that but I think they are a great idea. I'm not sure how they would be pulled off though because they would have to be the opposite of a car.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 9:45 pm

I haven't heard of glasses like that but they sound ideal.

I wear Irlen lenses for that type of thing though (mostly for when I go to overwhelming places like shopping centres where there's so much to look at). My lenses are blue because I'm sensitive to yellow light. If you'd like to know more...
www.irlen.com

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 3:56 am

I'm after the opposite - lenses that look reflective from outside, but do not tint everything dark for me looking out of them. It was for eye-contact issues, so no one could see I don't make eye contact.
Unfortunately couldn't find them, either. All "mirrored" sunglasses are dark-tinted.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 3:58 am

AceofPens wrote:
I have a lot of trouble with fluorescent lights, and it's been worse than usual lately. In the past, I've considered using tinted lenses as a possible solution, but I really don't want to be that one oddball wearing sunglasses indoors. So it occurred to me that there might be a type of sunglass that's like car tint - darkened on one side and appearing clear on the other. But I've done a few searches now and couldn't find anything that met that description. I feel like it must exist, though. I just can't seem to find it. Has anyone come across something like this before?

Sorry, I haven't, but I'd love to get something like that. Lights seem to be bothering me more and more over time, and even being on the computer is difficult these days.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2017, 11:38 am

renaeden wrote:
I haven't heard of glasses like that but they sound ideal.

I wear Irlen lenses for that type of thing though (mostly for when I go to overwhelming places like shopping centres where there's so much to look at). My lenses are blue because I'm sensitive to yellow light. If you'd like to know more...
http://www.irlen.com

Thank you! If I can't find one-sided tint, I'll look into this. I'm going to get new glasses soon, and I intend to ask the optometrist if such a tint exists or if there's a way I could safely dye my own (I've heard of some people tinting their own car windows). If I find a solution, I'll post here again, since others seem interested in the concept, too.

garysoneji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Oct 2017, 12:02 pm

I don't know how that would be feasible. Even if it's a slight tint, it'll still be noticeable with clear glass. Car tints aren't that clear from the inside. Blue or yellow tinted glasses could be an alternative. They won't make you stand out any less if you're concerned about the sunglasses, but are more stylish.

You could maybe try those glasses that darken in sunlight. I'm not sure what type of light spectrum they need to react that way, but might work under any sort of bright lights.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 12:57 pm

I don't think such a thing is physically possible: after part of the light has been absorbed/reflected before reaching your eyes, there is no light that would magically appear to reach back it's initial brightness when it's reflected back from your skin and eyes, thus the glasses could only appear with a dark tint. The windows you're talking also make it darker inside the car, which can be a good thing too.

You should ask if there is some discrete filter that only block some of the most aggressive frequencies of fluorescent lights.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

AceofPens wrote:

Sounds like your best bet would be glasses with a lightly tinted FL-41 filter.

Quote:
How does the FL-41 filter work?
Although we are not completely sure why FL-41 improves light sensitivity, it seems to have something to do with the wavelengths/spectrums of light that are filtered out. FL-41 filters out certain wavelengths of blue and green. These colors are thought to be particularly bothersome to patients with light sensitivity. By blocking these wavelengths of light, this filter also improves contrast and sharpness which increases visual acuity.

Can the FL-41 filter be worn indoors and outdoors?
The FL-41 filter can be worn indoors and/or outdoors. However, that having been said, the FL-41 filter is typically used and seems to be more beneficial in an indoor arena and setting. The ‘FL’ in FL-41 stands for ‘fluorescent’. We’ve found that most patients prefer some type of polarized lens out of doors. There are a few, though, who do prefer the FL-41 filter outdoors, as well as indoors. Some will get one pair (lighter) for indoors and one pair (darker) for outdoors. If you’re wanting them for multiple settings/environments, more than one pair will typically be needed.

HighLlama wrote:
Lights seem to be bothering me more and more over time, and even being on the computer is difficult these days.

I Use a program called Redshift to filter out blue light which noticeably reduces eye strain for me.
Redshift is only available for Linux but F.lux is a similar program that is available across all the major operating systems.

F.lux download link

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2017, 5:27 pm

Tollorin wrote:
I don't think such a thing is physically possible: after part of the light has been absorbed/reflected before reaching your eyes, there is no light that would magically appear to reach back it's initial brightness when it's reflected back from your skin and eyes, thus the glasses could only appear with a dark tint. The windows you're talking also make it darker inside the car, which can be a good thing too.

You should ask if there is some discrete filter that only block some of the most aggressive frequencies of fluorescent lights.

Yeah. I imagine that C2V's mirrored sunglasses are more realistic. I've had cheap sunglasses before that appeared to have no tint to me, but hid my eyes entirely. I know that some window tints appear perfectly clear from the inside, but quite shaded from without. My dad's old car was like that. Rethinking it, I suppose that's because it was harder for the window to reflect/absorb the sunlight that came in than to block out the little light that reflected back through the window from the inside. I didn't think it through, as usual. :roll: Maybe we'll have magic sunglasses in the future.