Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

starlys
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2017, 1:41 pm

I'm the program manager for Ocate Cliffs retreat center and we need people to come and be there, help us with the program, construction work, office work, outreach. Lots of things to do! Food and housing is free. We are having trouble finding those motivated people who want to contribute to the world in a big way, and so I'm writing to see what ideas other autistic people might have about finding the right people for this. I think the main problem is that being autistic I can't actually "get out there" and "raise awareness" and all those things that are central to my disability. But somehow I have to do those impossible things. Ideas?

This is the job page:
http://www.divergentlabs.org/ocatecliff ... -position/

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 1:56 pm

I looked at the page.

You're at about 9,000 feet? Yikes!

I'd have to take breaks in my resting to rest at that altitude. :)

Good luck.

RobertColumbia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2017, 9:58 am

Do you offer (or use by default) adapted or alternative hiring procedures? I (and many people on this site) can have lots of skills that we have difficulty expressing in a job interview in a manner that is acceptable to most employers. In other words, should I worry about spending five hours doing research, tailoring a resume, writing a custom cover letter, sending it, and then never hearing back (what did I do wrong?), or would I be more likely to get meaningful information on how I could rise to the occasion (e.g. a Career Pathway) and build the necessary skills to get hired? E.g. "Thanks for applying, your resume does not indicate a sufficiently high skill level in Hydrolytic Reticulation, study for this exam and submit a score above 85 to continue with the process."

starlys
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2017, 11:20 am

Yes, hiring procedures are adapted to the person - there isn't any strict procedure to begin with and we don't expect resumes or all that corporate stuff. It all starts with where you are and what you need and what you are willing to offer, and we discuss it by whatever communication method works, then see if we can make something work out.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 3:07 pm

I rode my bicycle to 10,000', and had no trouble breathing in a hike to 12.
I'd be interested, if I were in the US, and didn't have ongoing projects to finish. The biggest worry for me would be living in close proximity to non-vegetarians. I'd probably stay in my camper. The biggest draw would be to create some really great spaces, with passive solar, etc. I had a good friend who did a job for a meditation retreat, and was kept on for about a decade until he insisted on retiring. His stuff was all art, and quite original.
You might want to look up Steve Baer. He had a knack for attracting talent to his Zomeworks down your way.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I rode my bicycle to 10,000', and had no trouble breathing in a hike to 12.
I'd be interested, if I were in the US, and didn't have ongoing projects to finish. The biggest worry for me would be living in close proximity to non-vegetarians. I'd probably stay in my camper. The biggest draw would be to create some really great spaces, with passive solar, etc. I had a good friend who did a job for a meditation retreat, and was kept on for about a decade until he insisted on retiring. His stuff was all art, and quite original.
You might want to look up Steve Baer. He had a knack for attracting talent to his Zomeworks down your way.

Your vegetarian idealoguism is likely misplaced. I think I saw on the web site that the meals they cook are vegetarian.

Are you really afraid to be exposed to people who aren't vegetarians? Wow!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:01 pm

eric76 wrote:

Are you really afraid to be exposed to people who aren't vegetarians? Wow!

No, I just can't get the knots out of my stomach if I sit down to eat with them. As far as I'm concerned, their meals are bizarre funerals for abandoned, abused pets. All domestic animals make fine pets if you have the room and attention. I also can't forget that they are also using up resources that could have fed several times more people, or left some wilderness to sustain the quickly-dying populations there. I sense hungry ghosts around the room.