Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

03 Jun 2007, 4:23 am

My father-in-law is a real sweetheart. He doesn't really understand much about Asperger's, but is trying his best to help since our 2 sons (aged 8 and 7) were diagnosed this year.

For example, he is taking our 8 year old to a junior chess tournament which is run over 2 days. My father-in-law has organised it all (insisting he will pay) and will transport our son there and back + stay to watch all his matches and cheer him all.

We were very amused when my father-in-law asked a couple of days ago,

"So, how is the boys' Alzheimers going?"

My husband and I couldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes. I almost inhaled the coffee I was drinking!

Smelena

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 4:28 am

I feel like I have alzheimers sometimes.
It is nice that he is trying to understand.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 5:04 am

Yeah..mee too..my lack of memory for so many things astonishes me...i guess it is bacause I am so overloaded I can't possibly process all of it into memorable memories..

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 7:34 am

Good on you, good on him.

Yeh, it can seem a bit like Alzheimer's sometimes.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 7:38 am

lol. Just lol. And I'll leave it that.

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2007, 8:14 am

I love hearing this kind of stuff!
I think I have previously posted about my mates constantly putting s**t on me about my diagnosis. They tease me something terrible. I do the same to them about their physique or mannerisms or whatever. This is all in the name of fun and being best mates. It is that it is known by them and they are OK with it and I am ok with it and so by the type of teasing we do it is throw away comments just for a response, usually a laugh or quick-fired retort.
Funnily enough if someone I wasn't friendly with said half the stuff they do as mates I would have to race them to retaliate.
They like your Father-in-law don't know much about Autism but occassionally in private ask a few questions to try to gain a little more insight or ask my opinion if something in particular they do or say (or have done or have said) will or has affected me. They are getting better at reading me and learning some of the reasons for being how I am like. In these instances I never make fun of them and they don't joke around. Some of the things in the past they were worried about were really crazy. But then some were spot on and very insightful.
None of us make much of a deal about it and I am so lucky that I trusted my mates enough to tell this to. It has made things easier for them and me. I really wouldn't have them any other way.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 8:51 am

I don't even think a kid could have alzheimers. You probably SHOULD correct him! NOBODY wants alzheimers, but others would probably either figure it was a malapropism or that somebody in your family or his has some real problems. Of course, he may have simply slipped up, and a gentle correction may give him the opportunity to correct the mistake, etc... If your son loves chess matches, it is GREAT that he even seriously offered.

Steve

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 11:14 am

Helen:

Did I get your name right?

I know, you seem like a wonderful lady with many good intentions, but where is this thread coming from?

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

04 Jun 2007, 3:25 am

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Helen:

Did I get your name right?

I know, you seem like a wonderful lady with many good intentions, but where is this thread coming from?

Yes I'm Helen.

I found it amusing and thought it might give others a laugh.

My father-in-laws intentions were good, he just forgot the name.

This is a common thing for him - he'll say the wrong word by accident much to our amusement.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 12:37 pm

Wow!

He thought Alzheimer's was an event?

I'll bet that was unintentional silliness. He meant to use the right word choice!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 1:19 pm

no, he was substituting "Asperger's" with "Alzheimers".
I think it's funny. It's like substituting "artistic" with "autistic". :lol:

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 2:46 pm

But, I still think it was funny and I still have it in my mind that he thought Alzheimer's was an event!

You know that because if you read the sentence he said very carefully, "How is his Alzheimer's going?," you would indeed think it was an event!

How would you like to go to an Alzheimer's in the near future?

AspieSister
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2007, 2:50 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
But, I still think it was funny and I still have it in my mind that he thought Alzheimer's was an event!

You know that because if you read the sentence he said very carefully, "How is his Alzheimer's going?," you would indeed think it was an event!

How would you like to go to an Alzheimer's in the near future?

I think it was said more in the context of.... say you had a bad cold... and your mom called up and said, "How's that cold coming along?"

I think the accidental word replacement is hilarious though :lol: :wink:

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 3:47 pm

Now I'm beginning to understand it!

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 3:52 pm

I like a lot to see children thinking, I believe it is among the most beaultiful things in nature, thus I like children playing chess.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 3:58 pm

Cognitive dysfunction can be a bit like Alzheimer's / dementia. I can’t remember my childhood, I have some serous memory problems. Though I know who I am. I'm not sure many people on this site have this problem to this degree.