Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 11:07 am

Help! I have a biology exam tomorrow and I found out this week (during half term) that I have problems understanding some of the questions in past papers because of my AS. I interpret them in different ways, often incorrect. This only affects a few questions, but enough to lower my marks! When I look at the marking scheme and see the answers to the questions that I have tried, I do "know" the answers and would have produced the correct answers had I actually understood the question.

I have a wonderful form teacher whom I can talk about this with tomorrow, but what choices do I have? My University choice lies on these exams!

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2007, 11:23 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Usually, clooeges look to see if you are actually giving effort.

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 11:28 am

I'll try my best. But I have to get a 90% + mark if I am to get into Cambridge, which has the most wonderful natural sciences course.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 12:40 pm

If you have a diagnosis for AS then you can contact Learning Support at your school/college and they should make arrangements for this kind of thing. I have a similar problem with exams and now I know about AS, I receive help for it; I do my exams in a room on my own because of noise, and I have a reader to clarify which questions to do, explain thnings etc.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 12:49 pm

The supports that they have at the collage university levels are so much better than they use to be. I would try to get special services as a Special Needs student. As much as it might be a stigma it does sound like you need very AS specific help. I hope that you do get in to Cambridge though :) Natural scieces would be very interesting.
Good luck!

Promethea
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jun 2007, 1:57 pm

i'm guessing you're talking about biology AS-level exams tomorrow so its too late to sort out any extra help, from what i've heard (i dropped biology after gcse - i hated it) quite a lot of people have the same problem you have with it (though maybe not to the same extent) so this might bring the grade boundaries if thats any consolation.

Good luck & you should apply to cambridge anyway, there's no harm in trying and if you're enthusiastic and show alot of interest in the subject it might make up for any slightly crappy grades.

hope it all goes well tomorrow, my sis is doing the same exams & is absolutely terrified.