Wikipedia article about "Mozart and the Whale"

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ecstasia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2005, 9:38 pm

TheWhale wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
Is this movie based on your life? what role do you play in the production?

Good lord. Yes, the movie is inspired by my life and that of my wife, Mary. I thought that was common knowledge :) We were paid for the rights to details of our life story, as consultants. We helped with the script, which turned out to have two main characters who have different names and have some of us, but certainly not all of us, in their personality, actions and flashbacks.

But just go to the official movie site I mentioned and tell the Wikipedia jerks to shove it.
They may have the legal right to do what they did but it sure isn't moral. If it isn't removed from wrongplanet.net, I will be outta here real soon.

Jerry Newport

So what exactly do you want done? Oh, and you do realize that wrongplanet is NOT wikipedia, right?

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2005, 10:04 pm

Ok, lets run through this step-by-step.

Wikipedia has an article on Mozart and the Whale. It then has a link to an article written on WrongPlanet about the movie, which is found at http://wrongplanet.net/modules.php?name ... page&pid=9
If you read the article, it links to the official website within it. It is not called a "Pre-emptive review", but a "Pre-emptive observations".
The author didn't lift the trailer and make it his own. He linked to the trailer on WP webpage, which in turn links to the movie trailer hosted at www.equitypictures.de
This is a link to a previous thread, when Jerry first noticed the trailer on WP: http://wrongplanet.net/modules.php?name ... pic&t=1988
On the aforementioned thread:

Alex wrote:
The trailer on our site is actually not really on our site. I made a link to a trailer hosted on a different site which apparently is run by the company producing the movie. I couldn't watch the high resolution quicktime of the trailer on the regular mozartandthewhale.com because it wouldn't load. If this is not permissable, I'd be happy to only link to the site that the trailer is hosted on, since it wouldn't make much difference.

TheWhale wrote:
Well, I don't have any problem with that, as long as people are going to the official movie site.

I would suggest that Alex would be only too willing to keep to his offer of linking only to the official site. One thing I would like to know, is why has your attitude changed? They have still linked to the official website, but the official website has removed the trailers. Unless EquityPictures.de is pirating the trailer, what is the problem? I'm afraid that if you don't like bad or untrue comments being made about your movie, you should not have made a movie in the first place. No movie gets entirely rave and true reviews.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 2:29 am

TheWhale wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
Is this movie based on your life? what role do you play in the production?

Good lord. Yes, the movie is inspired by my life and that of my wife, Mary. I thought that was common knowledge :) We were paid for the rights to details of our life story, as consultants. We helped with the script, which turned out to have two main characters who have different names and have some of us, but certainly not all of us, in their personality, actions and flashbacks.

But just go to the official movie site I mentioned and tell the Wikipedia jerks to shove it.
They may have the legal right to do what they did but it sure isn't moral. If it isn't removed from wrongplanet.net, I will be outta here real soon.

Jerry Newport

We are not worthy. You are soo awesome.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 2:34 am

The Whale,
So what URL would you like us to use to find info on the movie?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 2:52 am

oh, the joys of the internet...

this is sh***y, jerry. sorry you had to put up with it.

however, i have been itching to see the film ever since i heard about it. the official site (i've never looked anywhere else) said that it was due for release early this year, in the UK, but obviously, that hasn't happened. do you know when the release date is?

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2005, 6:40 am

ecstasia wrote:
So you don't want the movie to be advertised? Wouldn't it being advertised be a GOOD thing?

It is a good thing if the information is reliable and not being manipulated by people who have no official involvement in the production.

That is not the case here.

Jerry Newport

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2005, 6:42 am

Sean wrote:
The Whale,
So what URL would you like us to use to find info on the movie?

Sean, go to the official website which I have already listed:

www.mozartandthewhale.com

I understand that the trailer there is not currently available. Has it occurred to any of you that the trailer is being revised to reflect changes in the movie?

Jerry Newport

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 12:16 pm

Malcom_scipo, that wasn't called for.
Jerry, I can't see anywhere where they are saying that their observations are anything other than their own personal opinion, based on the trailer. Just because the movie changes after you released the first trailer, you can't just demand that it has been "hijacked" and threaten in order to have it removed.
As long as the trailer gets people interested in the film, surely that's all that counts? They'll find out the changes when they see it in full, in the cinema.
As I was saying before, before the movie is done and out, you're going to get a whole lot more manipulated and unreliable information about the movie. Its a regular part in the leadup to movie releases. You'll need to get used to it. Is it really worth threatening to leave WrongPlanet about?

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2005, 1:28 pm

danlo wrote:

JN: Thanks for saving me the wasted effort of communicating with him.

Jerry, I can't see anywhere where they are saying that their observations are anything other than their own personal opinion, based on the trailer. Just because the movie changes after you released the first trailer,

JN: What do you mean "released the first trailer?" That was no release by me. It was by the production people. It is their property, not to be copied by anyone.

you can't just demand that it has been "hijacked" and threaten in order to have it removed.

JN: watch me.

As long as the trailer gets people interested in the film, surely that's all that counts?

JN: No, if it isn't any longer, the trailer that is current and if the appearance of the trailer on another site, diverting people from the official site, diverts them from lots of other information.

They'll find out the changes when they see it in full, in the cinema.
As I was saying before, before the movie is done and out, you're going to get a whole lot more manipulated and unreliable information about the movie.

JN: You are going to lecture me on how to handle publicity? For all I know, the critics may hate the movie and maybe some flakes will picket it. I could care less. But I do care about making sure that the official information is what people see, not some distortion of it.

Go ahead and write opinions on the trailer and even about other stuff on the site, but don't take the trailer and claim it as your own and divert people from the official site. Make your comments and refer people to the official site for more information. That is fair and that will settle this.

Its a regular part in the leadup to movie releases. You'll need to get used to it. Is it really worth threatening to leave WrongPlanet about?

JN: I don't need to get used to exposure. I have lots of family in the film business and know the drill. I don't want to support any list that is so disrespectful of my rights.

AND, to top it off...

A week ago, Alex, from this list, I believe, sent me an e-mail request to interview me which I declined. He wanted to do it by phone and I know how risky that is. But I read his proposed questions and took an hour to respond to all of them. I sent them all back a week ago and guess what? He blew me off. No response. No "thank you." Nada.

I asked Alex to please send me whatever he planned to post out of what I sent so if you see anything, it is not with my permission.

Considering all of that, what do I need this list for? I don't want to leave but I am not being given any choice. AND I know this is not wikipedia but now that you know what I object to, my complaint is still valid.

Jerry Newport

ecstasia

19 Jun 2005, 1:53 pm

TheWhale wrote:
danlo wrote:

JN: Thanks for saving me the wasted effort of communicating with him.

Jerry, I can't see anywhere where they are saying that their observations are anything other than their own personal opinion, based on the trailer. Just because the movie changes after you released the first trailer,

JN: What do you mean "released the first trailer?" That was no release by me. It was by the production people. It is their property, not to be copied by anyone.

you can't just demand that it has been "hijacked" and threaten in order to have it removed.

JN: watch me.

As long as the trailer gets people interested in the film, surely that's all that counts?

JN: No, if it isn't any longer, the trailer that is current and if the appearance of the trailer on another site, diverting people from the official site, diverts them from lots of other information.

They'll find out the changes when they see it in full, in the cinema.
As I was saying before, before the movie is done and out, you're going to get a whole lot more manipulated and unreliable information about the movie.

JN: You are going to lecture me on how to handle publicity? For all I know, the critics may hate the movie and maybe some flakes will picket it. I could care less. But I do care about making sure that the official information is what people see, not some distortion of it.

Go ahead and write opinions on the trailer and even about other stuff on the site, but don't take the trailer and claim it as your own and divert people from the official site. Make your comments and refer people to the official site for more information. That is fair and that will settle this.

Its a regular part in the leadup to movie releases. You'll need to get used to it. Is it really worth threatening to leave WrongPlanet about?

JN: I don't need to get used to exposure. I have lots of family in the film business and know the drill. I don't want to support any list that is so disrespectful of my rights.

AND, to top it off...

A week ago, Alex, from this list, I believe, sent me an e-mail request to interview me which I declined. He wanted to do it by phone and I know how risky that is. But I read his proposed questions and took an hour to respond to all of them. I sent them all back a week ago and guess what? He blew me off. No response. No "thank you." Nada.

I asked Alex to please send me whatever he planned to post out of what I sent so if you see anything, it is not with my permission.

Considering all of that, what do I need this list for? I don't want to leave but I am not being given any choice. AND I know this is not wikipedia but now that you know what I object to, my complaint is still valid.

Jerry Newport

Quit being a baby, you don't always get what you want. Get over it already. You leaving WrongPlanet would be no great loss.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2005, 2:05 pm

From esctasia.....(quote)

Quit being a baby, you don't always get what you want. Get over it already. You leaving WrongPlanet would be no great loss.[/quote]

And not having to suffer fools like you will be no loss either.

Jerry Newport

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 2:05 pm

This thread is making me feel uncomfortable. I sense a great disturbance in the force. :(

ecstasia

19 Jun 2005, 2:09 pm

TheWhale wrote:
From esctasia.....(quote)

Quit being a baby, you don't always get what you want. Get over it already. You leaving WrongPlanet would be no great loss.

And not having to suffer fools like you will be no loss either.

Jerry Newport[/quote]

If you're expecting special treatment, you're not going to get it. At least not from me. Take a look at your behaviour Jerry, you're behaving in a childish manner.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 2:14 pm

I've been watching this thread degrade all morning and early afternoon and I'm saying now that if this thread continues on as it has been, it will be shut down.

Let's keep the peace shall we :)

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2005, 2:22 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
I've been watching this thread degrade all morning and early afternoon and I'm saying now that if this thread continues on as it has been, it will be shut down.

I am not the one messing it up. I have a legitimate gripe and you have some jerks in denial so go ahead, repress my rights and shut it down.

Jerry Newport

ecstasia

19 Jun 2005, 2:33 pm

TheWhale wrote:
Scoots5012 wrote:

I am not the one messing it up. I have a legitimate gripe and you have some jerks in denial so go ahead, repress my rights and shut it down.

Jerry Newport

You're just whinging about trivial sh*t. Your complaints are about wikipedia and a trailer that's still on the production companies website. Easily fixed.

Wikipedia: Edit it yourself.

Trailer: Call the production company and ask them to remove it.

Problems solved.