Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ConfusedVoice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2017, 3:43 pm

I feel like I am so bad at this. I'm in charge of meal planning, food shopping and cooking for our family.

I overthink things and spend days planning meals for the week, take even longer to either go food shopping or order groceries online, and half the time I don't even have the energy to cook the meals so we just order takeout or eat whatever junk is in the house.

So much produce gets wasted and it's sad. My husband jokes, "Oh! You bought plenty of vegetables to rot on the counter!"

:(

Anyone else go through the same thing?

Diagnosed with severe ADHD and High Functioning Aspergers.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

garysoneji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2017, 3:54 pm

Yes, I'm almost exactly the same way. Meal planning and food shopping isn't hard for me, but we're usually too lazy to cook or wash the dishes so we can cook. Things are frequently wasted. We're often away from the house around the time I want to eat, so we opt for a restaurant instead of waiting a few more hours to eat. It's an excessive waste of money.

ConfusedVoice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2017, 3:58 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one! We end up eating out 3 days a week at least which isn't good. My husband doesn't mind but it would be nice to save some money.

garysoneji wrote:
Yes, I'm almost exactly the same way. Meal planning and food shopping isn't hard for me, but we're usually too lazy to cook or wash the dishes so we can cook. Things are frequently wasted. We're often away from the house around the time I want to eat, so we opt for a restaurant instead of waiting a few more hours to eat. It's an excessive waste of money.

Diagnosed with severe ADHD and High Functioning Aspergers.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 4:01 pm

Yes, it was that way when my wife was in charge of putting together the grocery list. When I took over I cut the shopping bill by 75%, even though we were now eating in all the time. And I was figuring out how to cook her favorite foods the way she wanted them.

I suggest buying less food and just going out to eat if you run out of food.

Alternately, it makes sense to have a supply of non-perishable food in case you have a natural disaster that takes out the power. You might dip into that so it doesn't get too old.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:03 am

I cant afford to throw food , its expensive in Norway.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:11 am

ConfusedVoice wrote:
I feel like I am so bad at this. I'm in charge of meal planning, food shopping and cooking for our family.

I overthink things and spend days planning meals for the week, take even longer to either go food shopping or order groceries online, and half the time I don't even have the energy to cook the meals so we just order takeout or eat whatever junk is in the house.

So much produce gets wasted and it's sad. My husband jokes, "Oh! You bought plenty of vegetables to rot on the counter!"

:(

Anyone else go through the same thing?

I'm kind of going through this at the moment because we had a 2 day power outage, I went away for 4 days, returned to find rotting vegetables in the fridge and I hadn't cancelled my vegetable delivery.
So yeah, I sympathise.

Is it only you and your husband?
Have you considered having ready made meals delivered?
There are some companies here (not sure where you are) that do home-cooked meals and you just heat them up.
It could work out more economical than wasting food you're not using.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:15 am

The other thing you could do is get into food prep.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Nov 2017, 4:43 am

My girlfriend's kind of like that in a way. She's in the mood for things when she goes food shopping like veggies. She buys some since she's planning on eating them & then she never gets around to it because she's not in the mood for them or forgets.

We wasted a bunch of money on food recently cuz we had recently gone food shopping & still had stuff in the fridge & freezer & our fridge & freezer broke. It took property management/maintenance 10 days to get us a new one. We lost most of the food we had in there. My girlfriend didn't pay her portion on the rent thou(her Section 8 pays a lot of it) to make up for the cost of food. She sent a note explaining why she wasn't paying & noone called or anything to discuss it. My parents also sent me/us some money to help us out so I guess all that about makes up for the cost of losing our food except for the inconvenience & hassle & we also had to eat out a lot & buy nonperishable food which cost us more.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JimRooster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2019, 4:27 am

I'm bad at this.