How common is it for Aspies to be non-heterosexual?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2017, 12:48 am

I have heard that people with Asperger's tend to be diverse. Studies have shown that people on the spectrum are more likely to identify with a sexuality other than hetero. They found that Aspies are more likely to be assexual, gay, or bisexual than neurotypicals. I will admit that I am definitely not heterosexual. I've been attracted to males ever since I was in middle school. I've never come out to anyone. People either assume that I am straight or assexual. I feel like having Asperger's and being gay can be a double burden. I've accepted myself for who I am, but everyone around me is neurotypical and heterosexual it seems. It is hard enough that I have a hard time connecting with people. Add being gay on top of that and it is even harder. Are they any other gay Aspies on here who have a sexual preference other than straight? How common do you think it is for people on the spectrum to identify as a non-heterosexual?

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2017, 1:34 am

I'm Pansexual! (I like all kinds, boys girls, and people who are in between somewhere.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 2:11 am

The Link Between Autism and Trans Identity

Quote:
Research on the overlap between autism and gender diversity—a term used to define those who, either by nature or choice, do not conform to conventional gender-based expectations—is a relatively new field. Earlier this year, Spectrum, a website dedicated to in-depth analyses of autism research, published an extensive investigation that explores this relatively untrodden ground, explaining that over the past five years, there have been only a handful of studies that trace a co-occurrence between the autism and gender diversity. In one of the first major studies, carried out in Holland, researchers examined 204 children and adolescents who identified as gender-dysphoric—a condition where a person experiences discomfort or distress due to a mismatch between their biological sex and gender identity—and found a 7.8 percent prevalence of autism.

There are case studies of gender diversity on the autism spectrum dating back to 1996, but the first study to assess the convergence of autism and “gender dysphoria” was published just six years ago. Since this point, there have been several studies, with a watershed moment occurring for the world of autism research in 2014. John Strang, a neuropsychologist in the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders at Children's National Medical Center, in Washington, D.C., assessed gender diversity in children with autism, rather than measuring the incidence of autism among gender-dysphoric children and adolescents as the previous studies had done. The study found that participants on the autism spectrum were 7.59 times more likely to “express gender variance.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman