How do you feel about 'The Good Doctor'?

Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 10:00 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i watched only the first episode. i feel i enjoyed Atypical more, i wanted to watch it again but since i dont have cable its harder to access *sigh* if only it were on netflix.

as far as portrayal goes i think its fine. im getting really tired of seeing the neat and tidy ASD guy who shows 0 emotion. the neat and tidy is a more common aspect of ASD (which i am personally a slob) but the blank emotionless i have never seen IRL. every ASD person i met has always been very expressive to the point of over expression. this robot aspect to me is a myth or at least rare. however the difficulty expressing emotion is still a real problem with autism its more expressing emotions appropriately and having a hard time understanding emotions.

Interesting u mention over expressiveness- i find that to be true too. For myself and others.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2018, 1:59 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i watched only the first episode. i feel i enjoyed Atypical more, i wanted to watch it again but since i dont have cable its harder to access *sigh* if only it were on netflix.

as far as portrayal goes i think its fine. im getting really tired of seeing the neat and tidy ASD guy who shows 0 emotion. the neat and tidy is a more common aspect of ASD (which i am personally a slob) but the blank emotionless i have never seen IRL. every ASD person i met has always been very expressive to the point of over expression. this robot aspect to me is a myth or at least rare. however the difficulty expressing emotion is still a real problem with autism its more expressing emotions appropriately and having a hard time understanding emotions.

Personally I don't show much in the way of emotion. Thats not to say I never do, but it is significantly and noteicable below average.

aspietrance
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2018, 12:12 pm

I feel mixed about the show.
It is a slightly more positive portrayal of an aspie, but still, he's annoying.

What is painful is the understanding that all the drama that his aspie-ness brings to the situation could be avoided if they simply said: Why don't we create a special role for him, where he doesn't have to talk to patients, and can consult on puzzling cases and make diagnoses and out-of-the-box solutions??

On that note, so much of the pain and suffering in *the real world*, as well as the problems of the world, could be solved by leveraging aspie talents to help the world instead of treating us like s**t and trying to make us do things that would be better done by ordinary NTs.

CannibalCorpse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2018, 6:16 pm

I think you guys are all missing one important point. It gets people talking about autism and symptoms. If more people have some knowledge about ASD that's a positive thing as they might become more accepting and not freaking out seeing a "weirdo".

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 9:16 pm

I like what I have seen of it (first episode). It has nothing to do with the fact that I am autistic and have a strong interest in medicine............ :wink:

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 6:43 am

I have never seen The Good Doctor because I only get two channels on my tv and the channel it is on is not one of them. But I do like Chicago Med. I am wondering if anyone thinks that the African American chief surgeon character who wears the little skull cap is an Aspie. I think he might be.

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 12:01 pm

skibum wrote:
I have never seen The Good Doctor because I only get two channels on my tv and the channel it is on is not one of them. But I do like Chicago Med. I am wondering if anyone thinks that the African American chief surgeon character who wears the little skull cap is an Aspie. I think he might be.

The Dr. Latham character was diagnosed by Dr. Charles(Oliver Platt) last season.

The Skullcap is a yarmulke and he wears it because he is a practicing Orthodox Jew.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 12:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
skibum wrote:

The Dr. Latham character was diagnosed by Dr. Charles(Oliver Platt) last season.

The Skullcap is a yarmulke and he wears it because he is a practicing Orthodox Jew.
Oh cool. I only just started watching Chicago Med this season. I think that he is a very good Autistic character portrayal. I knew the cap was a religious symbol, I just had not recognized that it was a yarmulke. Thank you, I am glad to know it.

Wreck It Ralph

HannaBarbra
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2018, 6:47 pm

I absolutely love the Good Doctor! Given that it is a television show developed for entertainment purposes, I think it is fairly realistic and portrays a person "on the spectrum" in a positive light. It does gloss over some of Dr. Murphy's problems and I think some of his patients might be more concerned about him in real life. But it does prove that his unique way of thinking about things is valuable, although he does need some support and guidance. I am impressed and encouraged by the show.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 5:20 pm

SPOILERS ALERT:
Season 3 is getting on my nerves because they keep on pushing Dr. Murphy to feel
and express love in typical way. A lot of NTsplaining and Dr Murphy making “progress” feeling love in typical ways.

The conspiracy theorist patient angle on this weeks episode was interesting both with the patient trusting Dr. Murphy because he won’t BS him and the patient explaining to Shawn that he does not believe all the theories he spouts but can never publicly admit when he is wrong.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 6:18 pm

I don't like the show. I admit I've only watched a handful of episodes, but the doctor is too much of a stereotype or caricature. It's too much so it doesn't seem realistic to me.

Question: Is the portrayal of the autistic doctor on the show helping to boost positive awareness of those with autism in an accurate way, negative awareness of those with autism of neither positive nor negative?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 9:47 pm

The Good Doctor to End at ABC After 7 Seasons: 'It's Time to Say Goodbye'

Quote:
On Thursday, ABC announced that the medical drama, which premieres on Feb, 20, would be concluding with its upcoming seventh season.

The Good Doctor has been a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it’s time to say goodbye," co-showrunners David Shore and Liz Friedman and fellow executive producer Erin Gunn said in a statement shared with The Hollywood Reporter. “We are incredibly proud of the work we’ve done and the message we’ve been privileged to be a part of. We look forward to giving our fantastic fans, the truly extraordinary Freddie Highmore, the rest of our talented actors (and friends), and the best crew in the business the series ending that you all deserve. Thank you, Sony; thank you, ABC; thank you all.”

Highmore, who not only stars but also serves as an executive producer, paid tribute to his time on the fan-favorite series in a statement of his own.

Disney Television Group president Craig Erwich also issued a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, celebrating the drama's run on ABC.

Season 7 of The Good Doctor premieres Feb. 20 at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 10:22 pm

Magna wrote:
Question: Is the portrayal of the autistic doctor on the show helping to boost positive awareness of those with autism in an accurate way, negative awareness of those with autism of neither positive nor negative?

https://theconversation.com/autistic-do ... -tv-141157

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 12:27 pm

I've never watched The Good Doctor. My favourite show is on at the same time in the evening.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 1:05 pm

I never really sat down to watch it as it seemed kind of boring. My shows have always been "The Big Bang Theory," and "Atypical."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 7:54 am

The Good Doctor Cancellation Sparks Debate Over Autism Portrayal!

Quote:
But both the platform formerly known as Twitter, now X, as well as Instagram, showed how The Good Doctor has divided viewers. And though some felt sad over the cancellation, others applauded because they view the show as unfair to those with autism.

Fans Praise Beloved Show’s Depiction Of Autism
The show-runner for the medical drama House, David Shore, created The Good Doctor. And he based it on a 2013 South Korean series of the same name. However, when The Good Doctor first premiered in 2017, the spotlight went to Freddie Highmore in the lead role of Dr. Shaun Murphy.

And the medical drama followed the autistic surgeon haunted by his troubling past as well as the challenges in the medical field. But many social media fans expressed heartbreak over the show ending. For instance, one wrote, “This can’t be happening.” And another shared, “This show was so good.”

However, some expressed gratitude for what The Good Doctor offered. For example, one fan shared, “Sad to see it go. But grateful for the great moments it provided.” And others reflected on Dr. Murphy’s fictional struggles with autism.

“Thank you for creating a show that portrays autism in such a positive light – with all the highs and lows. Will miss this show and all the characters I have come to know and love,” wrote a viewer. And another fan commented, “I’m autistic and I think it felt good to be represented in a way that others can see what we go through.”

One viewer revealed, ”I had just received my diagnosis of autism when I started watching TGD. Shaun helped me to understand myself better, and I felt so deeply understood. I still remember things this series taught me, through hard days and sleepless night, you all will always have a special place in my heart.”

Seeking ‘Actual Autistic Representation’
However, some social media critics didn’t agree with the way that The Good Doctor portrayed autism. For instance, one wrote, “Unpopular take. I hate The Good Doctor. And I’m so glad its ridiculous portrayal of autism has been canceled.”

But some urged that networks seek a more accurate representation of autism. And one critic wrote about the cancellation, “Good. Now let’s get actual good autistic representation next.” Another revealed, “I’m on the spectrum. And I thank this decision. This show [ridiculed] people like me just for a so-called actor can be praised by people who have no idea what autism is.”

And many felt that The Good Doctor offered too many “stereotypical autism portrayals,” calling for studios to “create authentic ones.”

Dr. Murphy is an extension of ‘Rainman’ an socially awkward male that is extremely skilled in some areas. It is unrealistic that a person like would, never be hired. The last few seasons were way too soap opery for my taste. OTOH his autistic traits both helped and got him in trouble. And unlike The Big Bang Theory the autistic traits were not there for laughs.

Hopefully for the last season they will learn from there mistakes. I am not optimistic, the show is dated as shows such Extraordinary Attorney Woo and A Kind Of Spark have far surpassed it in representation.

The show arrived 4 years after my diagnoses. An openly autistic lead character on a network television was something I doubted I would see in my lifetime. Despite its flaws I will always look back fondly at the show for that reason. That it is dated now is a good thing.