Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Pumpkin_Prince
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2017, 6:48 am

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew about a connection between Asperger's and stammering? I was diagnosed this year (I'm 16) so I'm still not familiar with some of the things I do being connected to Asperger's. As a child I was very articulate and learned to speak fluently really early. However, as I got into my teen years I've been slowly developing a stutter, it used to just happen when I was around people I wasn't comfortable with but now it's happening more frequently and around my family. Again, I never had problems with my speech before so it's kind of odd when I can't get the words out around family members. Has anyone else experience this type of thing?

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 9:27 am

I didn't start stuttering/stammering until I was in my mid 20s, that I'm aware of anyway.
It's kind of weird, not sure why it happens. It doesn't always seem to be stress that causes it, or people that I'm uncomfortable with.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 9:34 am

I don't remember when I started to stutter and stammer. But I tend to do it whenever I'm stressed out, talking to someone I have no familiarity with etc. My mother would always yell at me asking me, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!? Talk normally!" When we have a conversation that I either have no answer to or she's asking me something like my personal life or has mentioned something about my "weirdness".

Although I'm completely fine when I talk to my soulbonds. Words come out smoothly because I'm comfortable with them out loud in the privacy in my own room. I don't fear that they would judge me unlike everyone in society. I would say the same for my online friends although I never I actually spoken to them in person before. Though I don't know...if I get nervous in verbal communications regardless. I may even stutter if my fiancé was physically on this planet. Hmmm...now I wonder if I just contradicted myself... uggg I hate saying what's on my mind sometimes. I can never make sense to even myself.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 9:51 am

I started to stutter when I was seven right after my birthday. I don't have that issue anymore but I still talk fast.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 10:15 am

I've always had speech problems. I stutter, stammer, and I have a speech impediment that makes it difficult for me to say a lot of everyday words. I also talk very fast and really quietly.