Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Quille
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2017, 6:33 pm

I can't get interested in anything at all besides my special interests. Even when i try really hard to focus on something that isnt interesting for me, Im just unable to do so. Thats why its so hard for me to learn at school. Have you experienced something similar? If so, how do you deal with it?

nerdynoob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2017, 8:11 pm

I have been there before, I dealt with it by finding ways to either relate it to my special interest (video games) or interjecting it in whatever I'm doing (i.e. if I'm working on something on my own I listen to music from whatever game I'm playing at present).

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2017, 10:27 pm

Quite a few times, like at work, I've had to focus on and perform tasks that held zero interest to me. I learned to motivate myself by promising myself that after I was done with the boring stuff, I would indulge myself with my special interests. It's sort of hit-and-miss though. Sometimes it works but other times I would end up staring through the computer screen or just screwing around. After doing that for awhile I would realize that I would miss a deadline or get in trouble if I didn't do the uninteresting tasks, and then the fear would kick in and I would sort of automatically push myself.

MusicForTheMind
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2017, 9:10 am

That's very typical for those of us with ASD.
All I'd say is you must be very careful when it comes to future career choices.
You must only pursue and kind of employment that you would do for free.
If you pursue a job in something that does not interest you, you will set off on a course for depression and disillusion.
Stick to whatever your special interest is....for your job, for your hobby, for your social life.
If you focus on what intrinsically motivates you, you'll be happier than you ever thought possible.
Good luck

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

It's like our brains have a light switch, but instead of ON and OFF it says "INTENSELY INTERESTED" to "COMPLETELY UNINTERESTED".

And yet it's perfectly okay for NTs to not be interesting in everything. Just look how they are whenever we discuss *our* interests. But heaven help us if we don't show interest in whatever nonsense *they're* into. :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Dec 2017, 7:14 pm

I have those problems but it may be related to my ADD. I zone out & daydream alot & always have. I basically always just accepted that's how I am & am forced to deal with the consequences of tuning things out sometimes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Dec 2017, 4:01 am

I'm generally really uninterested in most things in life.
I only get interested in very few things-- a few very specific video games, and a few species of pets.

I only have friends from these hobby groups.