Plumbers and Electricians with Aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aspie1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2017, 2:27 am

How many Plumbers and Electricians are on this forum? I was thinking of going into the trades since im not intellectually disabled however social skills are an issue with me.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 7:48 am

I'm not aware of any but I can say I tend to get along with great with both. To this day, am angry my parents wouldn't let me be one and insisted a get a (completely useless) University Degree. I just got the latest Electrician's bill and let's just say they are WELL compensated.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 11:29 am

We have many here who have what may be termed "enhanced mechanical aptitude."

Both men and women.

There's one named "Dear One" who is able to "MacGyver" quite at will. Another is named "Elbow Grease."

I've known at least two transcontinental truckers here.

Seff
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2017, 5:07 pm

I’m recently diagnosed as ASD - more than likely Aspergers but not enough experienced psychiatrists to confirm -
but if I’m still relevant to your question then you might be interested to know that my trade is as an Air Conditioning engineer and I can confirm that it’s pretty much being a plumber and electrician all rolled into one, with refrigeration chucked in for good measure.

I couldnt run a business doing it, I’m happy being told to go there and do this.
Some of my traits are a hinderance and some are really positive.

On the social side it depends, it really helps that I work with someone I get on quite well with - or at least I can get on with when I put on my ‘work mask’.
Generally I’m not too bad because I’m normally talking technical like explaining how to use the equipment or controllers.

Building sites are a bit of a problem, I can’t stand the ‘banter’ and general personalities you find in such places, but again my colleague is useful for that because he joins in with that kind of thing which allows me to ignore them and carry on with what I’m doing.
As a trade though we (a\c engineers) are normally an afterthought in the building process so a lot of the time I don’t have to deal with building sites.

Basically the short version is:
I don’t see why not. I’m sure you could do it!

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

fjoois
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2019, 2:34 am

Modules are combined into subsystems, each of those is used to solve specific problems. For example, the materials accounting subsystem “deals” with the movement of inventory, the cash, and non-cash accounting subsystem, with banking and cash operations, etc. I am planning to automate business, has anyone done that managemart? How was it? What program have you implemented?

ninjaman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2019, 6:37 pm

Hello,
electrician here, i hate the site "banter" like the guy above. i have had situations where people are shouting abuse at me because i am too scared to tell them to F***off. i worry that i will loose my job or get into a fight. still not sure how best to deal with that situation. the theory side of electrical work is involved to some extent. the math is not really that hard just the process, once you learn that it makes it a lot easier. though a lot of the science moves way for rule-of-thumb. things like cable sizing and protective devices, then selecting equipment and fitting it and fitting methods. after that inspection and testing to make sure no damage was done when fitting. you are looking at about three/four years of learning. the qualifications take some time but learning the job takes longer. knowing what to do, quickly and accurately. planning out the work and going through it. note pad and pen is a great tool for that. when it comes to qualifications, look around for the cheapest methods. you can get a book from the library for free, do that first. read the book. if you are still interested, watch youtube videos. there are plenty on electrical work. you can learn alot from there. if you are still interested, before doing a course, buy some tools. car boot, flea market, swap meet, whatever you call it. buy cheap second hand tools, screw driver, cutters, pliers, knife, spanner. all this you can get really cheap. i go to car boots and get stuff for pennies. no end of rusty spanners! you could also pick up some electrical items, like cable, sockets, switches and light outlets. buy some of these things, fit them to a wooden board and practice stripping the cable and terminating the cores. you dont have to plug it in and i would not suggest you try that unless you know what you are doing! but you can practice some basic hand skills. in the uk an electirican coiurse could cost you about £7000. it depends on how resourceful you are. i have recently completed a course for £145 instead of £450. there are cheaper ways of doing things. it is your future and you dont have to wait to start a course. you can start now. go to youtube and watch some getting started videos. things like what tools to buy, then techniques then, some of the science. the most basic things are current, voltage and resistance. electromagnetism and its effects. ohms law!! ! if you dont know ohms law you can not call yourself an electrician.
all the best
simon :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 7:46 pm

I do not see any reason why you couldn't pursue a career as an electrician or plumber. My wife and I built our own home and as a result learned a wide variety of trades including plumbing and electrician.

One idea that may help is to volunteer for Habitat for Humanities. It is a good way to meet individuals with these skills and make friends while volunteering. Work with someone who has those skills and is willing to mentor you.