Good at logic, math, and computers, but horrible at Chess?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Are you good at math, logic, and computer, but horrible at chess?
I'm good at both! 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
I'm good at logic, computers, and math, but bad at chess. 62%  62%  [ 24 ]
I'm good at chess, but bad at logic, computers, and math. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I'm hopeless at both. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 39

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2018, 6:57 am

I am okay. I can be both good and bad depending on what my concentration levels are. When my ADD lets me concentrate I can be really good at it.

Coming to logic and computers - this is what I am really good at. It comes naturally to me.

Math - I hate it, it needs some work for me to work it out. To me it’s not as easy as computers and logic. And the more complex it gets the more it irritates me. My ADD got worse when I took mandatory advanced math (calculus and the likes of it) in high school. I just barely passed it. I don’t remember any of it now.

What comes naturally to me is statistics, geometry and probability. The rest are not challenging but need a lot of work.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

Last edited by Pjscrab on 23 Sep 2018, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 9:01 am

I'm average at chess
Good at logic
Hopeless in math
Hopeless in computers

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Sep 2018, 9:35 am

I'm bad at logic, math & not that great with computers either. I never played chess but I s#ck at checkers. I think part of my problem is my dyslexia & other related learning disabilities.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nouse
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2018, 11:19 am

University level math minor (qualified to teach it in high school). Logic is more recreational but I'm not so interested. I can program computers but not advanced I can build PC's and good at problem solving for people (I can easily imagine how interfaces work).

Chess: even kindergarten child could beat me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 11:40 am

Of course, this has nothing to do with autism.

I'm more like OK with numbers in general, good at analyzing and figuring certain things out, and bad at certain types of 'planning'.

Several accounts and outcome says I'm good at logic, math, and computers, but OK with chess.

Yet I'd say I'm good with logic as long as I recall the right terms and symbols, and constantly see what has been said.
Bad at logic if I don't know or forgot that X isn't there, Y is Y, or even Z exists somewhere -- even if I knew that X and Y is Z.

Good at maths as long as I'm looking at it, recall what the formula is, and seen it's patterns. Geometry would be better.
Bad at maths because I'd keep dropping bits of numbers in my head, couldn't solve it without writing it, or in some cases I have to forget my entire being just to hold onto two 3-digit numbers along with it's answers in my head because if I get the numbers missing or recalled wrong -- I'd get wrong answers.

Good at computers as long as instructions or descriptions aren't being vague, otherwise I may do the same mistakes, or if it involves programing - as long as I'm able to recall what terms are for.
Bad at it because I forgot that files and folders are placed there, or that X should or shouldn't be with Y, even if I know what X and Y is and what it was for.

OK at chess when it comes to general population, but suck at it compared to an average player. I wouldn't know or feel if I'd be good at it if I have the interest. I usually end up winging it.

Overall;
I may be good at all of them because I'm good with patterns and knowing how things work. My visuals are good, so does anything nonverbal.
I may suck at all of them because of bad working and short term memory. What I noticed or knew, even if I knew what I'm supposed to do with it wouldn't mattered anymore. :x

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 12:05 pm

Unlike logic, math and computers, with chess, there is this unpredictable variable (the other player) to take into account.

I like math, logic and computers because it is by definition very much predictable, based on rules and logic only.

Chess is kind of quantum logic, I hate it!

nouse
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2018, 4:53 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Chess is kind of quantum logic, I hate it!

Interesting. If you zoom in too closely towards something then you loose too much of something else. :lol:

Central coherence. :twisted:

I only have my visions and do not operate in the world tangible objects by default and especially not on board. It is hard to take board in and apparently it is hard to play blindly.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 5:15 am

I think my problem with chess is that it is a war game, and I'm not generally warlike. I might do better against people I don't like enough to play games with.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 8:51 am

There are players who try to "read" other players as part of their strategy, even touching pieces in an effort to draw a reaction from their opponent. It can backfire when playing an Aspie.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 9:20 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
When people find out how good I am at logic, math, and computers, they tend to think that I must be good at chess. But I'm awful at chess.

Chess requires a little bit of experience. At the beginning everybody sucks. As more as you play it as more you'll learn that it requires a strategy from the beginning. The first move even counts and you have to fight for the dominance in the center from the start of the game. The second thing is to watch all the figures and moves of your opponent to get a clue what he plans and is able to do. But I rather rarely play it now. And it doesn't count whether you are a visual or nonvisual thinker and whether you are NT or not.

Chess has something common with martial arts. You have to watch all movements of your opponent and react to it and become more and more dominant until you beat him. :mrgreen:

Last edited by quite an extreme on 24 Sep 2018, 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

^^^did you mean "martial" arts?

Some chess pieces look weird, maybe they are autistic, who knows!

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 9:56 am

Dear_one wrote:
I think my problem with chess is that it is a war game, and I'm not generally warlike. I might do better against people I don't like enough to play games with.

At the end, there is also love in that "war". :)

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 10:20 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:

You are right. English is still a foreign language for me. Therefore you should always expect mistakes and strange uses of words and phrases in my contributions. I have no problems with being corrected - it improves my skills.

Last edited by quite an extreme on 24 Sep 2018, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 10:23 am

^^^same for me, no worries :wink:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 11:20 am

I've never played chess before so I wouldn't know. I'm bad at maths and I only know the basics of computers.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 2:57 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:

You are right. English is still a foreign language for me. Therefore you should always expect mistakes and strange uses of words and phrases in my contributions. I have no problems with being corrected - it improves my skills.

OT: You are probably seeing pop-up ads for Grammarly, which will correct your English if you send it in and pay a fee per page. Twenty years ago, I had a program on DOS called Grammatik which was resident in the tiny memory of the day, and did far more. It didn't just correct to, too, and two, and similar situations, but would even have tips on style that were useful about half the time, often suggesting shorter sentences for me.