Anyone knows this book on Asperger's and spirituality?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Dvora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2007, 7:03 am

Here it is.

I'm interested in the topic but I would prefer not to read New Age mishmash. I've found the reviews on autism books on Amazon quite worthless, as lots of parents will give five stars even to the most horrible titles in my opinion. (Science fiction reviews are reasonable, by contrast.) So, did anyone read this book and if yes, what did you think? Alternately, are there good books on autism and spirituality I might have missed? Eg. what about this one? It's published by Jessica Kingsley Publ., so I'm inclined to think it might be better than the first one I linked.

I'm Jewish so my interest is in general spirituality (I don't think there is anything on autism and Judaism...), but if you know an other book with a Christian perspective, I'd also be interested in that as one of my friends is a teacher of Christian faith education and I could recommend it to her.

The Game of Life? Heck it's a cellular automaton.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:38 am

I don't know. But my general opinion is that spirituality is misguided and Aspies can become obsessed if they have a religion, and become over-zealous or something.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:51 am

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/002 ... x=8&Go.y=9

I didn't read that book but i did read Autism and the God Connection by William Stillman, which was recommended to me by a teacher of autistic children. It is about people with autism who have strong spiritual giftedness.

Dvora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2007, 2:07 pm

Yup bizarre, that's the book I linked (I so dislike the fact that links are well-nigh indistinguishable from normal text on WP, or is that my browser that doesn't like WP?). How did you like it?

Anubis: I dunno, it's possible. I don't know enough people to generalize. As for myself, I think I'm less zealous as if I were NT, because because of AS I tend to see the pragmatic and rational ends to things; I can't help looking at things intellectually.

The Game of Life? Heck it's a cellular automaton.