How to not be annoyed by people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2017, 10:11 am

I have a coworker who drives me up the wall. She loves to sing while she's at her desk, and if she's not singing she's yawning loud enough to hear on the other side of the building every ten seconds. If you bring it up, she'll tell you to put on headphones (I can't work with music playing) because everyone else is comforted by the noise she makes and will "go insane" if she stops. So since I can't play music, she refuses to be quiet, and my manager doesn't care enough to do anything about her... what option does that leave me? What can I do to just not get annoyed by this girl?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 10:16 am

Probably the best solution to this is to get headphones and listen to your kind of music while you're working.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2017, 10:24 am

I just said I can't concentrate with music playing.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 10:32 am

Sometimes I listen to white noise on headphones, to drown everything else out... This one works well for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qorkD6nPYQM

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm

Not even music you really like?

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 8:48 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Sometimes I listen to white noise on headphones, to drown everything else out... This one works well for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qorkD6nPYQM

Listening to white noise is a good strategy. My sister sings with her YouTube videos and Pandora music and it drives me crazy sometimes. I usually stay in my room with my ceiling fan on and go online on my phone. My ceiling fan also drowns out my parents' snoring, coughing, and other annoying noises while I sleep.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2017, 12:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Not even music you really like?

No. I'll enjoy the music but I won't be able to focus on my work. Nothing derails my concentration faster than music.

The_BBgun_Adventurer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2017, 2:55 am

Lot of poeple use audio books
or try using therapeutic noise thunder/oceans waves etc for hours on end.

would this help?
or throw on some ear plugs for worst case scenario Xd :skull:

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 5:34 am

Earplugs is probably better in the long run, tinnitus is not fun.

Or a job change.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 6:08 am

I think this is quite inconsiderate to be honest. Most workplaces are not an appropriate place to start singing. Maybe you should complain to HR. I definitely wouldn't be okay listening to that, especially in my high stress job. It's bad enough when my co-workers turn up rap really loudly.

If it's bad enough to make you feel terrible, I would leave and file a dispute.

katdances
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2018, 6:01 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
I have a coworker who drives me up the wall. She loves to sing while she's at her desk, and if she's not singing she's yawning loud enough to hear on the other side of the building every ten seconds. If you bring it up, she'll tell you to put on headphones (I can't work with music playing) because everyone else is comforted by the noise she makes and will "go insane" if she stops. So since I can't play music, she refuses to be quiet, and my manager doesn't care enough to do anything about her... what option does that leave me? What can I do to just not get annoyed by this girl?

Noise cancelling headphones, no music, just silence. That or earplugs. Sure, it's not your responsibility to spend on them because of her, but your concentration and being able to feel as calm as possible at work is worth more than her annoyance. That itself is an statement of how unbearable she is to you so she should adjust her behaviour. If not, HR. She sounds very intolerant.