How old were you when you stopped using a night light?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2018, 9:45 pm

Until sometime in early high school, I wouldn't want to go to sleep without a night light. When me and my family were on vacation, we always had to make sure there was a lamp or something where I slept. The only time I didn't need a night light was when someone else was sleeping in the same room. Now I never use one at home, but I still occasionally use one when I'm somewhere else, since the feeling of familiarity isn't there.

Although lately I've been forced to use an unwanted night light, as my neighbors' Christmas lights shine brightly through my bedroom window. It makes it hard to fall asleep sometimes.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 9:57 pm

I still have a night light :lol:

**Not my exact one, but similar.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm

I'm not sure, but I think I was 13, maybe 14 when I stopped using a night light.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2018, 1:55 am

Never used one as a kid, but these days I have the light on at night from time to time. I have no idea why I started getting scared of the dark as an adult. Five-year-old me was perfectly fine walking around in the middle of the forest at night.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 2:30 am

I have been using some lighting since I had a stroke a few years back.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 2:40 am

^ what is the relationship between strokes and night lighting?

Embla wrote:
Never used one as a kid, but these days I have the light on at night from time to time. I have no idea why I started getting scared of the dark as an adult. Five-year-old me was perfectly fine walking around in the middle of the forest at night.

there were a lot of things i would happily do as a child that i started being afraid of as i got older. namely because i started to gain a deeper understanding of the risks involved and started to understand consequences of my actions.

i think the most daring some people will ever be, is when they're young children.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 5:42 am

It's been around a couple of years since I've had the urge to turn it on.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 5:51 am

I never needed it. Except for one time when I were 9 and was forced to stay home alone at night for the first time. I turned all lights in the house on and went to sleep hugging my moms sweater. LOL

But I needed background noise for a while or else I would be afraid of the house sounds. In fact I still need it sometimes to fall asleep because our house heating makes scary noises.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 5:52 am

Don't know when I stopped, but started again several years ago. Sometimes I'm really disoriented when I awake in the dark; especially if it was a nightmare. We use night lights with motion sensors; the house stays dark unless you get up and move about, and then you don't have to find the light switch.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 7:19 am

I don't think I ever used a night light.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 3:15 pm

I never used a night light. I have always preferred complete darkness.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 3:27 pm

I actually have a nightlight now. Not because I actually need it or anything, but do find the minimal glow somehow comforting. It's a small portable Mickey Mouse-shaped light made of a vinyl material that is very soft and velvety to the touch and it was so cute I ended up buying it. :lol: I think there's a Minnie Mouse one too, I'd like to get it if I ever see it.

And one one when I was younger I had a turtle accent lamp that I won at a karaoke contest at a Halloween Party. Actually it was clearly a tortoise and not a water turtle, but I liked having it on at night Unfortunately, the lamp fell and broke one day. Sometime later I got a lava lamp, but instead of lava it had glitter inside it, and I liked how it made sparkly patterns form on the walls and ceiling. But eventually that got knocked over by one of my cats and broke too. I was not as happy with the glitter being all over my carpet. :(

I don't really remember having a night light as a kid, though. If I found it too dark I think I'd just leave a regular lamp on, which I would now find too bright for sleeping and I don't to use up the bulb too quickly, even if it's one of those long-running bulbs because they're expensive. My apartment has a lot of windows so it's never really pitch-dark anyway even with blinds and curtains. Not like the guest room in my parent's basement!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 1:56 am

I have a few different things that I use as night lights. I have a giant sphere, a string of 5 LED colour changing Christmas lights, a lamp with a small, round pea green bulb, a Himalayan sphere shaped salt lamp, a choice of 4 lava lamps, a green motion lamp and a small string of LED lights that look like little Christmas lights. I'm using the little trees around my Sweet Peas right now.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 2:03 am

IDK it has been off and on for me, sometimes as a kid I felt I needed one, but other times I preferred it to be completely dark now it varies sometimes I'd like a little bit of light in case I need to get up and go to the bathroom but other times I think it would distract me from sleeping.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 2:15 am

Stopped? I have 9 going right now - 7 candles, a small lamp and a simulated fireplace. Then I also have 3 candles in the bathroom - I forgot about those.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 4:10 am

Kiriae wrote:
But I needed background noise for a while or else I would be afraid of the house sounds.

Me too!

I stopped using a night like when I was... eight? Or nine, somewhere around that time.