How to tolerate loud or sudden noises

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

mjames72
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jan 2018, 1:21 pm

I have always had severe sensory problems, but it has gotten especially bad in the past year. I am extremely sensitive to loud or sudden noises, especially the sounds of people coughing and sneezing. I hate those noises so much. It has gotten to the point where I'm afraid to leave my house or be in crowded places and I have massive anxiety any time I have to go somewhere. I want to learn how to tolerate those noises and deal with them. How can I do that?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 2:51 pm

I have anxiety of loud noises too. It does ruin my life. It's even worse when I know a loud sudden noise may occur but not knowing when. Like about 3 or 4 times a year at work we have a fire training day, where the alarms are set off at a random time and nobody knows when. You can imagine how anxious I get on those days! It's a shame we've got to rely on sudden loud noise to save our lives from fires. I wish fire alarms were alerted by certain flashing lights, or perhaps about 2 or 3 seconds of a quieter sounded alarm before the loud one, so that you can be prepared for the loud noise.