Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 2:11 am

There's a game store a little over half an hour from where I live that hosts an anime watching night every Monday night. I found out about it from a worker there and I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, it was very disappointing. Besides the worker I talked to, no one welcomed me or tried to talk to me. They either played the games they were engaged in or looked at their cellphones. I tried going again some hours ago and it was even worse than before. Not even the staff welcomed me and people were barely attentive to the anime that was showing.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 2:49 am

You went to a game store anime night uh...
place cool! I know it was a disappointment but at least you tried! I know you said no one welcomed you or talked to you but, did you try welcoming or talking to someone?

I know I'm putting some pressure on you but as far as I know many that are into anime and video games tend to be really shy and reserved such as yourself. Maybe if you went a few more times they may open up to you more or you may be more comfortable opening yourself up to them.

What kind of games were there? What anime was everyone watching?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 10:23 am

AquaineBay wrote:
I know you said no one welcomed you or talked to you but, did you try welcoming or talking to someone?

I had the same thing in mind. Why couldn't you be the one to start a conversation? Since you're probably all gamers and/or watch anime you should probably be able to come up with a topic. Besides, from my experience I'd say that most groups, any kind of groups, won't go out of their way to include a new person and just wait for the new person to include themselves instead.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 10:25 am

AquaineBay wrote:
You went to a game store anime night uh...
place cool! I know it was a disappointment but at least you tried! I know you said no one welcomed you or talked to you but, did you try welcoming or talking to someone?

I know I'm putting some pressure on you but as far as I know many that are into anime and video games tend to be really shy and reserved such as yourself. Maybe if you went a few more times they may open up to you more or you may be more comfortable opening yourself up to them.

What kind of games were there? What anime was everyone watching?

The first time I only talked to the staff worker who welcomed me. Last night, some drunk guy approached me after looking at me strangely. I was honestly too bummed both times to try approaching anyone first.

The store caters mostly to those who want to play Warhammer 4K, Magic, and D&D but they do have a video game room which is also where the anime viewing took place. Full Metal Panic! was the anime that was put on but hardly anyone truly watched it. They either just played card games, their handheld games, or just cellphoned out.

Fireblossom wrote:
I had the same thing in mind. Why couldn't you be the one to start a conversation? Since you're probably all gamers and/or watch anime you should probably be able to come up with a topic. Besides, from my experience I'd say that most groups, any kind of groups, won't go out of their way to include a new person and just wait for the new person to include themselves instead.

Admittedly, I felt intimidated by the smoking and drinking going on. I don't have a good history being around smokers and drinkers. Bible Belt culture is saturated with that stuff but it's mostly cheap cigarettes and gas station beer so it's not high quality stuff.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 10:39 am

Gas station beer is probably pretty similar to supermarket beer---except probably more Budweiser in the gas station, and less Heineken there.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 11:05 am

Fireblossom wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
I know you said no one welcomed you or talked to you but, did you try welcoming or talking to someone?

Most groups aren't real receptive of new people especially if the new people don't really fit in. I have tried joining different churches and groups, but I never felt included or accepted in any of them. I tried conversing with people, but it never got beyond the acquaintance stage with anyone. People usually figure out pretty quickly that I'm different and weird. They avoid interacting with me as much as possible.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 12:31 pm

ladyelaine wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

Most groups aren't real receptive of new people especially if the new people don't really fit in. I have tried joining different churches and groups, but I never felt included or accepted in any of them. I tried conversing with people, but it never got beyond the acquaintance stage with anyone. People usually figure out pretty quickly that I'm different and weird. They avoid interacting with me as much as possible.

That's pretty much the Bible Belt in a nutshell. You have to fit the mold or you are "weird". You aren't the only one who feels this way.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 1:25 pm

They allowed smoking and drinking in the game store? That's weird... was it like a bar or something? Were they playing with just regular cards or Magic the Gathering? If I remember you did said you like playing MtG. Dungeons and Dragons is also a cool game, you could try that and it would be easier to get to know people because at some point everyone will have to talk!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 6:37 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
They allowed smoking and drinking in the game store? That's weird... was it like a bar or something? Were they playing with just regular cards or Magic the Gathering? If I remember you did said you like playing MtG. Dungeons and Dragons is also a cool game, you could try that and it would be easier to get to know people because at some point everyone will have to talk!

No smoking inside the building, just outside but people could drink inside.
I don't play MtG. A friend tried to get me into it but he wasn't very nice in showing me how it's done and he made me drive to a comic store that was having a "booster pack night" but the owner of the store screamed at me just for asking some questions so that ruined it for me. This guy is notorious for being a jerk and making people not want to shop at his store anymore.

Machine Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2018, 7:08 pm

I can commiserate. Once I held a sci-fi club meeting and nobody came. Magic is pretty easy to learn, but you may not want to play it with nerds who are so self-unaware that they're judgemental.Here's a pretty good tutorial. AquaineBay also has a good idea with Dungeons and Dragons, it's a great way to be social and get out of your own headspace for a while.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 8:10 am

Number 1, I am proud of you Marnkis for giving this group a try and I am sorry it did not work out. However, I don't understand why a group of nerds would consider you to be "Weird." Most nerds are weird for geeking out over anime and D&D. However, if that guy was drunk then maybe it's why he was weirded out by you.

As for connecting with people, do you have any artwork or any fanfics that you have written? Maybe show those off or join in on a round of D&D. It's a fun game.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 10:57 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Number 1, I am proud of you Marnkis for giving this group a try and I am sorry it did not work out. However, I don't understand why a group of nerds would consider you to be "Weird." Most nerds are weird for geeking out over anime and D&D. However, if that guy was drunk then maybe it's why he was weirded out by you.

As for connecting with people, do you have any artwork or any fanfics that you have written? Maybe show those off or join in on a round of D&D. It's a fun game.

I meant how mainstream Bible Belt people view those who don't fit the mold are viewed as "weird". The people in the group didn't call me that. The drunk guy actually wanted to talk to me but his demeanor made me feel uncomfortable.

I don't have any fan art or fanfics. I suppose I could join in on D&D if someone at the event was willing to give me an explanation on how to play it.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 11:47 am

Marnkis,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3FRzEJDp8

Here is part 1 on playing D&D

Machine Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2018, 12:24 pm

Well, it sounds like it wasn't a total wash. You found some people who won't think you're weird, and you know that you share some interests in common with them. Don't judge their idiosyncrasies too harshly, as you have your own as well. Each group of nerds is different, so learn to adapt.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 4:16 pm

You have to talk to other people, you cannot expect them to do everything.

Talking to people is difficult for us but generally expected in the norm.

Generally I think it’s extremely rude for people not to intoduce themselves to someone they don’t know, that goes for both sides of the party. It happens a lot, though. People are extremely rude. I’d go a few more times and put in the effort, if it doesn’t work then don’t go back.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 12:06 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Marnkis,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3FRzEJDp8

Here is part 1 on playing D&D

Thanks, Summer. I also have a friend who does D&D.