Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Have you had any misdiagnosis before ASD?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Not Sure 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

tarunb
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2018, 2:14 pm

Hi so I'm new here just started on this forum few minutes ago so i have Autism, Social Communication Disorder and Dyspraxia. But in 2004 i was diagnosed with adhd since i was hyperactive and inattentive (never took medication), and i was actually tested for autism when i got my diagnosis of adhd. I was tested for autism since i wouldnt look at others or play,speak or make friends.. and in 2015 i was diagnosed with Oppositional Defiance Disorder before i got expelled from my last high school. But a few months ago (late '17) I was diagnosed finnsly after a year with ASD and Dyspracia for the guy i was in the room with less than 10 minutes to come up with the conclusuon i was infact autistic. Me and my mom came to conclusion by then as well. So did you have any misdiagnosis. :)

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2018, 2:35 pm

When I was in kindergarten, I had a teacher that literally hated me and besides having me put in the corner for time out for more than 2/3 of the school day, she also pushed my parents to have me institutionalized because she was convinced I was ‘not right’. My did end up taking me to a psychiatrist and I ended up on an anti-psychotic. I don’t know if that counts as a misdiagnosis or what but my parents were new to the whole parenting thing when I was six because I am their first kid so they didn’t know who to listen to, so they ended up taking the advice of an awful teacher who legitimately hated me (that’s what my mom tells me when she looks back on that teacher). Anyway, my mom said the anti-psychotic was a terrible idea because it made me ‘crazy’ and cry all the time. Lo and behold, I was taken off of it when we moved and they got a second opinion and then I was on nothing and 7 years later I was diagnosed with HFA and Bipolar II.
The End.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

tarunb
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2018, 2:50 pm

ScarletIbis wrote:
When I was in kindergarten, I had a teacher that literally hated me and besides having me put in the corner for time out for more than 2/3 of the school day, she also pushed my parents to have me institutionalized because she was convinced I was ‘not right’. My did end up taking me to a psychiatrist and I ended up on an anti-psychotic. I don’t know if that counts as a misdiagnosis or what but my parents were new to the whole parenting thing when I was six because I am their first kid so they didn’t know who to listen to, so they ended up taking the advice of an awful teacher who legitimately hated me (that’s what my mom tells me when she looks back on that teacher). Anyway, my mom said the anti-psychotic was a terrible idea because it made me ‘crazy’ and cry all the time. Lo and behold, I was taken off of it when we moved and they got a second opinion and then I was on nothing and 7 years later I was diagnosed with HFA and Bipolar II.
The End.

Thanks for sharing im new to the website, im so sorry yoy were put on antispychotics at such a young age. Yeah i know whats it is like being singled out by the teachers ir a specific teacher it sucks. May i ask whether or not having bipolar make ceetain aspects of autism more difficult or vice versa?

EightyNiner
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jan 2018, 2:58 pm

Im currently diagnosed as bipolar, but i dont think that fits at all. So, my guess is its a misdiagnosis. Asd explains all my symptoms including my difficulties as a kid.

Im basically the kid that never grew up and never quite fit in.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2018, 3:01 pm

A warm welcome to you tarunb! I haven’t really paid too much attention to how the two overlap but what I have noticed is that I stim more when I am hypomanic, and I am bothered more by overstimulation. When I’m in the lower phase of my Bipolar, I am still bothered by the sounds and smells but I don’t react as obviously to the outside world. I haven’t noticed much else but I’ll start paying attention to that. (I hope it doesn’t require too much attention because my constant attention payments are burning a hole in my attention wallet) :lol:

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Last edited by ScarletIbis on 11 Jan 2018, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarunb
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2018, 4:36 pm

EightyNiner wrote:
Im currently diagnosed as bipolar, but i dont think that fits at all. So, my guess is its a misdiagnosis. Asd explains all my symptoms including my difficulties as a kid.

Thanks few people at my school and another few users on this website seem to have been diagnosed with bipolar as well as autism. Bipolar 1 seems to be more common ive experienced.

tarunb
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2018, 5:25 pm

ScarletIbis wrote:
A warm welcome to you tarunb! I haven’t really paid too much attention to how the two overlap but what I have noticed is that I stim more when I am hypomanic, and I am bothered more by overstimulation. When I’m in the lower phase of my Bipolar, I am still bothered by the sounds and smells but I don’t react as obviously to the outside world. I haven’t noticed much else but I’ll start paying attention to that. (I hope it doesn’t require too much attention because my constant attention payments are burning a whole in my attention wallet) :lol:

Thanks very interesting, how different autistic behaviours or responses in different extreme variations of mood. Thank you for trying to psy attention more to your responses and behaviour I really appreciate it thank you! lol :D