Why do all white males get judged for privilege?

Page 6 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I can just as easily say that you're a racist using arguments equality and fairness for set upon whites to cover your a$$. Then again, too many conservatives and libertarians are.

By all means give it your best shot, Bill. However, as your claim would rely exclusively on false representations of my stated beliefs, my principles and my character, you'd be risking the wrath of any mod who happened to read your post.

You, on the other hand, have explicitly stated your support for the racist concept that is "white privilege". I would probably be justified in overtly stating that you are a racist, and yet I've refrained from doing so, instead pointing out the racism of your ideas.

Do you understand how one of these approaches is conducive to reasonable debate, whilst the other is designed to silence dissent and shut down discourse?

So, what's your argument against white privilege? That white people are being set upon? That non-whites are just underachieving whiners?
And just how am I a racist? By saying that my own people as a group (not individuals, mind you) have it better than other groups due to institutional and cultural racism?
Again, I can accuse you of being a racist for denying that other groups of people face discrimination that whites don't. Then there's the question: why do you feel this way?

You haven't given me any answers, just a whole lot of empty verbiage.
And I will reiterate - - people who call anti-racism racist are themselves racist.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 9:03 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

My principles were firmly established very early on in this discussion. Where are yours?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 9:10 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

My principles were firmly established very early on in this discussion. Where are yours?

Read my posts, and you can clearly see them.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 9:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I have. They're full of stances, not principles.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 9:43 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I have. They're full of stances, not principles.

Maybe those so called stances are my principles.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 6:37 pm

A principle is the foundation on which your stance should stand. They cannot be the same thing.

Example:

Principle: People shouldn't have violence done to them for what they say or think.

Observation: Richard Spencer was punched in the face for things he says and thinks.

Stance: regardless of what I think of Spencer and his views, my stance must be that this was fundamentally a bad thing. Because of the principle above.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 1:53 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
A principle is the foundation on which your stance should stand. They cannot be the same thing.

Example:

Principle: People shouldn't have violence done to them for what they say or think.

Observation: Richard Spencer was punched in the face for things he says and thinks.

Stance: regardless of what I think of Spencer and his views, my stance must be that this was fundamentally a bad thing. Because of the principle above.

You're entitled to you're opinion. Plus, I'm trying to win an argument, which means sometimes taking stances I normally wouldn't. :twisted:

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 9:37 am

Wolfram87 wrote:

Example:

Precisely.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Plus, I'm trying to win an argument, which means sometimes taking stances I normally wouldn't.

Which is an admission that you aren't arguing from a principled position. If you're playing to "win", you should refrain from placing yourself in check.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 3:04 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Example:

Precisely.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Plus, I'm trying to win an argument, which means sometimes taking stances I normally wouldn't.

Which is an admission that you aren't arguing from a principled position. If you're playing to "win", you should refrain from placing yourself in check.

Or am I just being a smart a$$?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 3:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I can just as easily say that you're a racist using arguments equality and fairness for set upon whites to cover your a$$. Then again, too many conservatives and libertarians are.

By all means give it your best shot, Bill. However, as your claim would rely exclusively on false representations of my stated beliefs, my principles and my character, you'd be risking the wrath of any mod who happened to read your post.

You, on the other hand, have explicitly stated your support for the racist concept that is "white privilege". I would probably be justified in overtly stating that you are a racist, and yet I've refrained from doing so, instead pointing out the racism of your ideas.

Do you understand how one of these approaches is conducive to reasonable debate, whilst the other is designed to silence dissent and shut down discourse?

So, what's your argument against white privilege? That white people are being set upon? That non-whites are just underachieving whiners?
And just how am I a racist? By saying that my own people as a group (not individuals, mind you) have it better than other groups due to institutional and cultural racism?
Again, I can accuse you of being a racist for denying that other groups of people face discrimination that whites don't. Then there's the question: why do you feel this way?

And I will reiterate - - people who call anti-racism racist are themselves racist.

That's just nonsense. People say it because so many 'anti-racists' utterly despise white people and say racism against whites doesn't exist. So a lot of the time it has nothing to do with being against racism it is just being against white people.

If you are going to throw this 'white privilege' myth around which i have already debunked. Then you will have to provide some good evidence. And Jesus Christ, don't say it is because more black people get shot.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 3:44 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That's just nonsense. People say it because so many 'anti-racists' utterly despise white people and say racism against whites doesn't exist. So a lot of the time it has nothing to do with being against racism it is just being against white people.

If you are going to throw this 'white privilege' myth around which i have already debunked. Then you will have to provide some good evidence. And Jesus Christ, don't say it is because more black people get shot.

I'm sorry, but that's just senseless. Anti-racism is just that - rejection of racism. To denounce anti-racism as anti-white racism is a tacit endorsement of white supremacy. Are you trying to tell me that the mostly white counter protesters at Charlottesville were self hating whites? Or that white racists - with their record of murders - are actually the good guys?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm sorry, but that's just senseless. Anti-racism is just that - rejection of racism. To denounce anti-racism as anti-white racism is a tacit endorsement of white supremacy.

"I believe get to define my stance as being representative of anything other than the principles I'm actually arguing for, whilst simultaneously defining your principles as proof of beliefs or stances that you demonstrably do not cleave to"

You aren't anti-racist, Bill. You support laws and rules which grant rights and privileges which discriminate by race.

Quote:
Are you trying to tell me that the mostly white counter protesters at Charlottesville were self hating whites?

Are you trying to place JohnPowell amongst their ranks, or do you accept that he is not obliged to speak in defence of any position or individual, least of all those he has not voiced support for?

Quote:
Or that white racists - with their record of murders - are actually the good guys?

More intellectual dishonesty. Your shambolic strawman army isn't fooling anyone, Bill.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

Yeah. If you are going to respond to my post then please respond to my points. If not, then don't bother. I can't keep mothering you Bill.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 10:19 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Yeah. If you are going to respond to my post then please respond to my points. If not, then don't bother. I can't keep mothering you Bill.

I was responding, while making some of my own points.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 10:22 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm sorry, but that's just senseless. Anti-racism is just that - rejection of racism. To denounce anti-racism as anti-white racism is a tacit endorsement of white supremacy.

"I believe get to define my stance as being representative of anything other than the principles I'm actually arguing for, whilst simultaneously defining your principles as proof of beliefs or stances that you demonstrably do not cleave to"

You aren't anti-racist, Bill. You support laws and rules which grant rights and privileges which discriminate by race.

Quote:
Are you trying to tell me that the mostly white counter protesters at Charlottesville were self hating whites?

Are you trying to place JohnPowell amongst their ranks, or do you accept that he is not obliged to speak in defence of any position or individual, least of all those he has not voiced support for?

Quote:
Or that white racists - with their record of murders - are actually the good guys?

More intellectual dishonesty. Your shambolic strawman army isn't fooling anyone, Bill.

Powell's views are well known to everyone on WP. I'll leave it at that.
You do know you sound like you're taking the side of the white nationalists, don't you? That's especially the case as you've denied white racism has any impact on non-whites. Sure Trump did it, but it hardly helped his popularity.

avlien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm

Sorry I'm so late to the fray. The short answer is: because they have privilege by default, without having to earn any of it. You immediately qualify your question as relating to poor countries in Eastern Europe, but that is a completely different discussion since your titular query was "Why do all white males get judged for privilege?"

I have just been reading Weapons of Math Destruction: How big data increases inequality and threatens democracy & it devotes quite a lot of itself to explaining this. Put simply: The world is run, by & large, by white men. So it follows that the vast majority of bias in the Western hemisphere, whether conscious or unconscious, falls favorably toward white men.

If you would like to know more about unconscious bias, few have put more effort into documenting it as Google. Here's the presentation Google gives employees on how to spot unconscious bias at work (care of Business Insider).

As for conscious bias, one needs look no farther than any civil rights movement.

Of course, in other parts of the world (Asia, for example) where white men are not the cultural leaders, this will be different but it is difficult to find many major cultures that are anything other than patriarchal. Those that are have historically been either marginalized or persecuted into extinction, particularly by what is arguably the most prolific patriarchy of all time: Catholicism (see: heresy, inquisition, crusades, etc). The last major non-patriarchal culture I can think of were the Cathars (the etymological source of the word "catharsis") of southern Europe, who were systematically exterminated during the Albigensian Crusade.

Patriarchy has been asserted, & often forced, on cultures historically. Knowing this I can completely understand why many people resent white male privilege. Taking it a step farther, this privilege also extends specifically to neurotypicals, since it is fundamentally a form of discrimination & thereby implicitly ableist as well. Even if one is a white male, the full extent of "white male privilege" still isn't felt if one has a disability.

Knowing these things, can you see why people excluded from this privilege might resent it?