Children with AS, ADHD and autism during the war?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:08 am

You are an ignorant individual. Bye.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 11:27 pm

Ichinin wrote:
naturalplastic, keep dreaming. I wasn't.

So in what way do you disagree with me?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 11:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Autism was prominently featured in case studies by the 1950s—even the later 40s. I know this because I actually read those case studies.

Kanner published his study in 1943.

Exactly.

Various parts of the autism spectrum were only just being uncovered during, or shortly after the war by a few pioneering individuals (like Kanner in the US, and Asperger in Austria/Germany). These findings didnt become accepted, and widely known about( even within the scientific community) until the post war Fifties. In the US only in the Fifties did what we now call "low functioning autism" became recognized as this thing called "autism", and only in the 1960's did that form of autism became widely known about to the general public (ie parents). So back during the war years of the early forties "autism" was not yet "a thing" that even doctors knew about, much less the general public. So though there must have been autistic children in every nation on both sides in WWII basically no such child was recognized by society as being that yet. It wasn't yet a "thing" in society yet.