Stupid men doing public proposal.

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 5:18 am

I came across a video on facebook, it was a western thing but it’s happening everywhere now and it’s frankly appalling; I think you all watched such failed proposal videos:

-It is in a public place.
- The guy comes with an enormous bouquet of red flowers....ec.
- The guy is about to bow on one bended knee a... bla bla
- The crowd goes Yeahhh woohoo
- She puts her hand on mouth and becomes so embarrassed, she tries to make the guy stands up quickly, she’s clearly not wanting to marry him.
- But like the blind mule he is, he opens the ring box anyway and asks her to marry him.
- She gets so upset and runs away, the guy is in total public humilation.

Now.... why the f- men do such stupid things like this and risk their own dignity to be humilated like this in public? It’s so f- stupid. At least he should have asked their lady in private if she wants to marry him before doing this stupid failed show off?
How about a private proposal? I dunno, maybe after a long hot sex night?

Aspie men, please don’t do public proposals, this is a stupid trend that we men must kill for good.

Who agrees?

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:05 am

I think it's an incredibly stupid and selfish thing to do unless you already KNOW your partner wants that. It puts a huge amount of pressure on her and humiliates you both if she refuses. It's borderline kamikaze blackmail. An absolutely ridiculous stunt to pull off.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 7:13 am

I don't know why anyway would want to do anything like that. My third marriage... to the beguilingly lovely Mrs Trueno... was a clandestine affair. We didn't tell anyone and snook off, dragging two witnesses off the street.
There shouldn't be any pressure on the proposee... just say yes and then find a million reasons to call it off once out of the public gaze... but I am speaking as a world weary 61 year old guy... might not be so easy for a young 'un.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2018, 8:49 am

Oh man, so freaking stupid.
I got in a similar situation in my teens. Not a marriage proposal, but a "let's be boyfriend/girlfriend"-proposal in public. Didn't want to embarrass the guy, so I said yes and was suddenly stuck in a relationship I didn't want.
Just imagine how many women got "trapped" that way.
I can also imagine a lot of public proposals where the woman said yes to avoid humiliation, and took it back once in private. That's even more of a bummer for the man than if she had said No right away.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 10:02 am

I'd never propose to a potential girlfriend in public, partly because I'm half-afraid of being humiliated in public in that manner. But more so because I appreciate intimacy and would prefer to keep the proposal intimate.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 11:47 am

*Shrug*

I think it's romantic... and about making sure first that the woman will say yes... why would you propose in the first place if you weren't at least 90 percent certain she wants to marry you!? Just saying...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 12:00 pm

Yeah it's grade A stupid. It only puts pressure on her and possible humiliation for both.

Regardless of what her answer is, it's an extremely personal thing and should only be asked in privacy. Throwing her into that situation in public is as far from romantic or considerate as it gets, and one should be allowed to react to big things in one's life without an audience and no external pressure.

Public proposal shouldn't be a thing

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 2:57 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
*Shrug*

I think it's romantic... and about making sure first that the woman will say yes... why would you propose in the first place if you weren't at least 90 percent certain she wants to marry you!? Just saying...

No, It’s stupid!

Ardea cinerea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2018, 2:58 pm

It's hard right, people more extroverted than myself have proposed, been proposed to in this way and loved it, found it romantic and went on to have very long and happy marriages. In a way that's cute. But it is tacky right? I am not a snob but it's tacky.

And yes, if someone was going to feel pressured into hastily saying yes, just because it is in public, then they should really not be proposed to in that way. And if your that serious in your relationship that you are going to propose, you should know your partner well enough by then to know if that situation is right for them or not.

Myself, it is going to be secluded, romantic and just between the two of us. If it goes to plan, I had plans last time, but I got tipsy and impatient and it just spontaneously happened in bed one night, not very romantic, did not work out in the end.

Each to there own, if that's what people want to do, let them be, but it's not for me. I feel uncomfortable seeing public acts of affection, am I sure I would too feel uncomfortable seeing a public proposal.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 4:00 pm

I do not like surprises.

I do not like being the centre of attention.

I do not like being fussed over.

I do not like extravagance or hype.

I will not find it romantic.

I will not change my mind.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:09 pm

What about all the over top successful proposals?
Just saw a video this week where guy paid to have a video ran before a movie in theater. Made a music video with the song marry thst girl. Even involved her dad and her friends, then went to use the bathroom before it started, changed into a suit , and came back in with flowers and the ring, right at the part of the video where he drove to the theater in a sports car. He also had all her friends and family sneak in behind her.

Then there’s the ones where they do it at a fountain and have her family and friends gather around etc. there’s millions of these over top proposals and they all end with girl saying yes and being so grateful for the romantic guesture. I’d imagine it’s These that up the pressure on the guys to do the videos you watched, gotta do a better over top proposal then the last guy so you are seen as romantic.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 7:44 pm

In public? With all those people watching? 8O

I don't even want to get married in front of other people but my family will get upset if I get married without telling them.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 8:59 pm

I'd say if you're going to do it, do a private proposal first. Then it would be fine to agree to do another, public proposal, and not tell your significant other what/when/where it was going to be, so it would still be a surprise without any public humiliation or feeling pressured into saying yes when they don't actually want to.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 10:48 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I'd say if you're going to do it, do a private proposal first. Then it would be fine to agree to do another, public proposal, and not tell your significant other what/when/where it was going to be, so it would still be a surprise without any public humiliation or feeling pressured into saying yes when they don't actually want to.

I dont know It wouldn’t be a surprise then as she’d know it’s coming.
It I wouldn’t do a public grand proposal anyways.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2018, 2:22 am

I think it's a kind of a ritual.

My spouse did something sort of similar but just next to my family – and after making sure in private that I do want to marry him. So I guess he did it that way to make it officially and ritually.
So maybe some guys do it just for the sake of a ritual.
And maybe others are trying to corner a woman that way, which is a very bad idea.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 2:52 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
In public? With all those people watching? 8O

I don't even want to get married in front of other people but my family will get upset if I get married without telling them.

Elope, and bring them back a piece of cake each.