Do You Think Finland Should Be A Part Of Scandinavia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 8:49 pm

Me personally I think it should because Finland is connected to Norway and Sweden.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2018, 1:51 am

As a Scandinavian, I'd say: Only if it would gain Finland in some form. We might as well include both Finland and Iceland. We're basically speaking the same language (ok, finnish is very different but many of them speak Swedish too) and we're all in the Nordic union (or whatever it's called in english) so I don't get why those other guys don't get to be part of the "brotherhood" over here.
I don't think there's much reason to include the others into Scandinavia though. I'm not sure what any of the countries would gain from it, except for the citizens gaining the same rights in the other countries as in their own. And open borders, although they are already really open.
I believe there's still quite a bit of resentment towards the Swedes in Finland. We messed them up pretty bad not too long ago.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 4:05 am

No, I don't. There is no reason to include Finland in Scandinavia, nor Iceland. They are already with us as the group called the Nordic countries. Scandinavian countries have very similar languages and culture. Finland is more different.

There is also the term Fennoscandia, which refers to the area that includes the Scandinavian peninsula (which excludes Denmark), Finland, Kola Peninsula and Karelia.

The current terms make sense when we're talking about different issues and they don't need changing.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 4:22 am

Though it IS Finland's (and other Scandinavian's) decision, I personally don't think it should. I feel like Europe should be divided based on a combination of historical categories (like Scandinavia or Iberia) and geographic ones. Finland can be included in Northern Europe but it could also fit better into North-Eastern Europe with the Baltics and Russia. It's like a Turkey of the north, being easily placed into different categories due to it's weird location between one massive transcontinental country and smaller more extreme north European ones.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 5:17 am

It's quite different to Scandinavian countries. It has closer links to Russia than the others too.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 3:38 pm

i thought it was part of scandinavia

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 3:48 pm

wikipedia says its sometimes considered part of scandinavia

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 Jan 2018, 10:52 pm

I say it really depends on how you see things.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 2:06 am

I go along with my eighth grade geography teacher about this.

Strictly speaking "Scandinavia" is only Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. That because Danish, Norwejian, and Swedish, form the Northern Germanic language family of related languages spoken by the related tribes that settled the what are now those three countries in ancient times.

Finnish is a separate language that is not Germanic, and not even Indoeuropean, but is an offshoot of the Uralian language family spoken by aboriginal tribes in western Siberia.

However the Vikings of old settled the Shetland island, the Orkneys, Iceland, and Greenland. Greenland is still owned by Denmark, and Iceland folks speak a Norse language in the same Scandanavian language family as Danish, Norwejian and Swedish. So Iceland and Greenland might thought of as "Greater Scandinavia".

Finland was sometimes ruled by Russia, and sometimes ruled by Sweden (the Swedes were the more oppressive), and only became an independent nation after WWI. But Finland is very Scandinavian in culture, and its coastal regions are largely Swedish speaking. So you can use the term "Finnoscandia" for "Scandinavia plus Finland". Or you could just call them "the Nordic countries".

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 2:40 am

Biscuitman wrote:
It's quite different to Scandinavian countries. It has closer links to Russia than the others too.

Only because of geography. Lots of unmarked graves filled with dead russian soldiers in Finland, that kind of perkele-paska don't go away overnight.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 9:58 am

Ichinin wrote:
Only because of geography. Lots of unmarked graves filled with dead russian soldiers in Finland, that kind of perkele-paska don't go away overnight.

:lol:

So it IS true that Swedes tend to know those terms in Finnish... or is it just you?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 10:24 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

:lol:

So it IS true that Swedes tend to know those terms in Finnish... or is it just you?

Most know a few curse words, but my mom being Finnish, i know a few more words.