Getting in trouble for breaking rules but others are not

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 2:19 am

It always upsets me to this day when I get warned about breaking a rule online but then I see other members breaking rules and nothing is done. It makes me feel there is a conspiracy against me. If I am going to get docked for breaking a rule, I expect to see others get docked too for breaking the rules.

On ebay forums I mentioned how I would never buy from Toys R us again because I believe I was a victim of their shipping scam where they send it to another address. Some scammers do that, don't believe me, look it up, they will mail off a sleeve envelope to another address to make it look like the buyer got their item because they marked it as shipped and delivered and it has a tracking number and everything. This happens on Amazon and ebay.

But anyway I was given an official warning (I rarely post there) for violating their rules and I looked at them and then i see someone breaking one of their guidelines because that member posted a url the a seller's feedback page and the rule is no naming or shaming and that is like talking about feedback scores and naming seller Ids and everything and that member violated that rule then by posting a link to a user's profile showing their negative feedback. I am so tempted to report it just so the mods can see someone else has broken a rule so I feel better about myself and don't feel excluded and left out and singled out. But then I am afraid I will get accused of tattling and get the mods upset with me for reporting trivial things when I had nothing against that member.

Does it bother anyone else when they get in trouble for breaking the rules but others don't get in trouble for breaking them? Does it make you feel discriminated and feel someone is out to get you? This was a common problem for me as a child so my school tried to say I had a behavior and my mom agreed with me that they did have League Girl rules and other kid rules and she agrees this is unfair to do that to special ed kids but not to normal kids.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 2:29 am

League_Girl wrote:
It always upsets me to this day when I get warned about breaking a rule online but then I see other members breaking rules and nothing is done. It makes me feel there is a conspiracy against me. If I am going to get docked for breaking a rule, I expect to see others get docked too for breaking the rules.

On ebay forums I mentioned how I would never buy from Toys R us again because I believe I was a victim of their shipping scam where they send it to another address. Some scammers do that, don't believe me, look it up, they will mail off a sleeve envelope to another address to make it look like the buyer got their item because they marked it as shipped and delivered and it has a tracking number and everything. This happens on Amazon and ebay.

But anyway I was given an official warning (I rarely post there) for violating their rules and I looked at them and then i see someone breaking one of their guidelines because that member posted a url the a seller's feedback page and the rule is no naming or shaming and that is like talking about feedback scores and naming seller Ids and everything and that member violated that rule then by posting a link to a user's profile showing their negative feedback. I am so tempted to report it just so the mods can see someone else has broken a rule so I feel better about myself and don't feel excluded and left out and singled out. But then I am afraid I will get accused of tattling and get the mods upset with me for reporting trivial things when I had nothing against that member.

Does it bother anyone else when they get in trouble for breaking the rules but others don't get in trouble for breaking them? Does it make you feel discriminated and feel someone is out to get you? This was a common problem for me as a child so my school tried to say I had a behavior and my mom agreed with me that they did have League Girl rules and other kid rules and she agrees this is unfair to do that to special ed kids but not to normal kids.

If I have reason to believe the person is using it as a bully tactic. As for moderators online, while most I have encountered seem to be fair and just, particularly here on WP, if you are on the internet long enough, you will likely eventually encounter a bad one, and unfortunately, some will punish you merely because they don't like you or something you said.

Also, typically forums are moderated by many different moderators and they may have different sets of standards. Additionally, large companies like eBay and Yahoo and Youtube rely heavily on users to "moderate" by reporting TOS breaches of other users.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 3:21 am

Who knows, maybe it was a Toys R Us employer who reported me. :twisted:

Sometimes people will do anything to keep their reputation. People have even sued for "slander" because they didn't like how their victim was trying to spread the word about what they did wrong to them. Another reason why people might not name businesses online when they talk about their poor customer service or their scams because they don't want to deal with a lawsuit for "slander."

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 4:15 am

Yeah, that happens. Another thing I find annoying on some internet groups is that one moderator says one thing about the rules and another something else entirely... and if I ask who is right I either get ignored or they say they'll talk about it, but they never give me an answer.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 9:48 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Yeah, that happens. Another thing I find annoying on some internet groups is that one moderator says one thing about the rules and another something else entirely... and if I ask who is right I either get ignored or they say they'll talk about it, but they never give me an answer.

Ebay community guidelines states they don't allow naming or shaming and that includes listing member IDs but yet it said in their policy mentioning user IDs is not giving out personal information. What a contradiction. I always hate it when policies say one thing but something else contradicts it.