Ugh, Facebook Shows Too Much To Others

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 5:56 pm

Gotta watch where you click like. Hmm want your mum/mom knowing everywhere on Facebook you follow or click like?

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 6:15 pm

There are ways in hiding what you want to be shown to others (including friends and family) on FaceBook, you can look into the options on there. But even then, I wouldn't truly trust that option. I'd just make another account under a different name if I were you if you want to be able to like things which you don't want other people to know.

I myself never use my legal name on such a platform or really anywhere online for that matter. This is because I do not want people like my mother and any potential employers seeing the kind of "messed up" things I'm into and any controversial beliefs and opinions I have on certain subjects. If they were to know, this could leave me in a situation where I can't apply for a job because the potential employer sees something they don't like. Yes, that actually happens to people, many companies do background checks via searching through social media. This is why I'm very secretive of my legal identity. Years ago like way back in high school when I used FaceBook under my legal name, I stated something very taboo which my mother had found out and punished me for it. She made me delete my FaceBook account that day. She had found out because she looked up my name and saw the photo of the real me which made her click.

I only allow friends that I trust, my ex-boyfriends etc. that know and understand me and wouldn't go "rat" me out and tell my mother or really anyone of importance for that matter. Those are the only people who I allow to friend me on FaceBook and see what I post and like.

Yet, I myself had been dealing with multiple bans on my accounts due to FaceBook's silly name policy. Haven't encountered it right now and to be honest, I hardly use Facebook anymore since I use Twitter. (I mostly just use FaceBook now to talk to a former friend from college and my ex). And for Twitter, my tweets are "protected" so any sensitive materials I share on Twitter are only visible to myself and my friends who are not bothered or offended by such content.

Last edited by MariaTheFictionkin on 24 Jan 2018, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 6:30 pm

Don't worry, Facebook won't be around for much longer :)

garysoneji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2018, 6:41 pm

That's why I don't like or comment on any posts set to public. My entire profile is private; 3/4 of my friends can't even see anything in my profile or my posts. I hate how open they make it and don't understand the people who have everything set to public. Some people wear their openness as a badge of pride and criticize people who don't use real photos of themselves as their display image. It's insane.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm

garysoneji wrote:
I hate how open they make it and don't understand the people who have everything set to public.

Yeah, that is troubling. Publicity being default and such. Also, FaceBook should make it a little easier to toggle the public and private options. There are too many options to switch around to 100% make a profile private. It's nerve racking.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 7:10 pm

My aunt treats Facebook like a diary. She posts everything. She is very full of herself and doesn't put any thought into what she posts.

I have my Facebook account set to private. Only friends can see my posts. I can block certain friends from seeing certain posts.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 4:42 am

I don't think people take into account how visible things are there. I do and it keeps me from pressing like on a lot of things I like but won't 'Like'.
There's no way I'd bother with more than 1 account when I already don't use my own much.

I Like things only when I don't care who might find out, which pretty much means animal related stuff. That's mostly what I use social media for anyway. I have never posted any personal stuff.

Quote:
My aunt treats Facebook like a diary. She posts everything.
I too have a relative like that. The short while I was on there daily (due to chatting with someone there), I noticed my relative always posting good mornings, good nights, and anything they did through the day (eating, coming home from work, meeting someone, visits, even taking naps or what they were watching). :roll: *facepalm* Of course those posts never lacked likes either :lol:
Another one has had a love for posting declarations of love to his home place which he loves so much, yet he hasn't lived there since he was a kid and hardly ever visits it, yet it's the best place in the world :lol:

Maybe this is why FB is so popular; people go there to laugh at people and the dumb things they post. If it wasn't so boring, it could be entertaining.

I once had an FB 'friend' who posted very personal and very attacking rants almost daily. That was entertaining. "Whoa are you gonna lash out at today?" They always deleted them the next day.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 4:51 am

I have a friend on Facebook who says goodnight every night. He always gets Likes but I never Like it. I don't think he needs to be encouraged!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:36 am

facebook is where your parents are.

all the hip kids have moved to instagram.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:47 am

I think the idea with facebook and twitter is to be a public figure on the internet and amass as big an audience as possible.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:57 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
facebook is where your parents are.

all the hip kids have moved to instagram.

We aren't kids, but if we were, we still aren't hip. If I were a teenager today I think the current climate would just underscore how poor and isolated I was. Most teenagers today have cell phones I never would have been able to afford at that age, and I would not have had anyone to connect with on Instagram.

I only joined Facebook because a classmate in college kept asking me to to increase his Facebook friend count. But yes, Facebook is on the decline. Instagram likely will be in a few years as well. Social media websites fall into and out of favor as their populations age. Before Facebook, the website to be on was MySpace. Before MySpace, it was Friendster, though that struggled for a number of reasons, and before Friendster there were others most on the internet today have not heard of.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:13 am

Facebook will do whatever it can to attract viewers, including ruining you. If a service is free, you are the product.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 7:36 am

What's really frustrating is that if you don't have a Facebook or LinkedIn profile, people start to make negative assumptions about you: either you have something to hide or you aren't 'hip' enough to land a job in the modern job market. When I did start being more open, some people told me the complete opposite:less the better and you want to keep some 'mystery'. You can't win! For the record, while I am opinionated I don't post anything that could be deemed as controversial.

Having said all that, I do admit that I find some pleasure in seeing some of the ridiculous things some people including my cousin posts on there. She posts these "talent" videos a 4 year old could recreate and always gets lots of positive feedback. I am very tempted to write "whatever drugs you are all on, please send them here" :lol:. There is also another benefit: if I stalked my ex's FB profile before starting a relationship I would have seen that she was absolutely, positively nuts with her crazy, vague rantings. She was 'madly in love' with a new guy every 2 weeks. I have also distanced myself from other people when I see what ridiculous things they post.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 7:53 am

I rarely post and comment, and I only ever clicked the like button less than 5 times. :lol: Had never clicked the follow button.

Rarely go online. Even if business calls it. My profile is mostly private and very filtered.

I never, ever post my portrait. :x I wish people would just stop tagging me. Also, I kinda regret revealing my full name at first, several years ago.

And, I don't exactly like anyone in real life knew anything about my net life.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 9:50 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Facebook will do whatever it can to attract viewers, including ruining you. If a service is free, you are the product.

It's interesting that so many companies these days make money on speculation rather than actual services. One thing a lot of people who do a lot of internet startups talk about is their "out" basically, they know that at some point their company is likely to collapse due to lack of actual profit and they need to get rid of it and leave with their winnings before that happens. It becomes a game of hot potato. These companies are over valued just keep selling, making people money in the process, until eventually someone won't buy it for what it previously sold for.

I may have been a little more profitable in life if I had realized this earlier because my focus had always been actual products and services and the answer to the question "how do we turn a profit over the long term?"

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 1:09 am

People post too much cuz they want attention & people love to complain on pages. I had a Facebook friend, she posted all the time, she even posted about what she having for dinner.