Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:27 pm

My meltdowns have been getting increasingly bad over the past year or so, I think due to stress. I used to be able to keep my aggressive behaviours (hitting, biting, scratching etc.) focused on myself, but over the past several months, every time someone has tried to touch or restrain me to keep me from hurting myself, my first instinct is to pull away, and if that fails, to try and bite them. I finally succeeded on Tuesday when my meltdown was so bad that my friend called the paramedics. She tried to restrain me and didn't watch her arm closely enough, and I swung around and bit her. I didn't want to, but during my meltdowns, it's like I'm trapped inside my own head, watching someone else control my body. I apologised, and she said it was fine and that it didn't hurt or leave a mark, but I still feel really bad about it. Have any of you experienced anything like this?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:34 pm

I do bite myself when I have a meltdown sometimes... not to the point of actual puncture...but enough to leave a bruise... I haven't actually bit anyone before. I've only tried to choke someone years ago back in high school when I had a meltdown (because they were making fun of me or something... I cannot remember what exactly). But most of the time I try to refrain from inflicting harm on others even if I'm having a really bad moment because...I REALLY don't want to go to jail or prison.

Last edited by MariaTheFictionkin on 25 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:38 pm

That's pretty close to the way my instincts work, too. If I'm having or nearing a meltdown and someone tries to touch me in any way, my first instinct is also to pull away, and then to try to scratch or bite, although I haven't actually bitten anyone besides myself since I was a kid (yet).

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:56 pm

It's pretty dangerous to touch me when I'm having a meltdown. I have anger management issues, so that worsens it considerably, if someone tries to restrain me after I've vocalized objection to it in one way or another or attempted to pull away. I'm also more physically aggressive than most people in general (past traumas). I tend to hurt people and myself pretty much every time. Though I tend to hurt myself more.

I am a Bookwyrm.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:03 pm

If someone approached me when I was having a meltdown as kid...my parents always would just end up making my meltdowns worse by mocking me when I was having a meltdown but they were never dumb enough to touch me when I was having a meltdown. I had a teacher grab my arm and refuse to let go. I asked her and she refused. I panicked and bit her out of desperation. I also had a kid keep flinging his fingers in my faces saying, "Bite me Bite me" and when I tried to get away he just followed me around. So I obliged him. Kinda like this only that kid made a bigger fuss.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:31 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
my parents always would just end up making my meltdowns worse by mocking me when I was having a meltdown

Mine did too. Everyone in my family did, except for my Sister. It was fairly exclusively my Mother though.

I am a Bookwyrm.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:33 pm

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
my parents always would just end up making my meltdowns worse by mocking me when I was having a meltdown

Mine did too. Everyone in my family did, except for my Sister. It was fairly exclusively my Mother though.

My mother does the same to me...

Disconaut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2018, 9:41 pm

No, it's straight to a razor for me. Well, not for three months now. Let's hope it keeps going.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 9:49 pm

I only bite when the other person wants me to bite her :heart:

Even though I am a Wolfman, I take Human Bites.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 1:59 am

I used to bite others, but haven't in a while. I still bite myself though.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 2:53 am

^ same, except "a while" is 6 years.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 2:55 am

EzraS wrote:
I used to bite others, but haven't in a while. I still bite myself though.

I frequently bit others when I was young. If my Mum caught me doing it, she would bite me on the forearm. She thought that showing me how much it hurt would stop me biting. It didn't. It just frikken hurt and made me panic after I bit someone. I would bite then run away screaming. God I was an awful kid :oops:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 3:08 am

^^ i used to bite my sister something awful when i was a toddler/kid, until age 5 i think (she is two years younger than me) and often got in trouble because of it.

one day my aunt decided she had enough of it and she bit me on the arm hard. for several years after that, i would have physical exams and the write-ups would have comments like "appears to have been bitten".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 3:38 am

I only bite my right index finger when I'm very stressed or overwhelmed or feel a negative impact from my autism. I've developed what's likely a permanent sore on either side of my finger that looks more like a burn mark. Occasionally, I'll be asked what happened to my finger and I'll just respond by telling them it's personal.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 5:24 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ same, except "a while" is 6 years.

Probably 3 years for me.

AspieSingleDad wrote:
I only bite my right index finger when I'm very stressed or overwhelmed or feel a negative impact from my autism. I've developed what's likely a permanent sore on either side of my finger that looks more like a burn mark. Occasionally, I'll be asked what happened to my finger and I'll just respond by telling them it's personal.

I do that all most often.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 6:22 am

I bite things if they are cute, like my teddy bear, my cat and my boyfriend, although I don't bite enough to hurt though. I just get an impulsive urge to bite or squeeze something cute.