Page 61 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 163  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 3:10 am

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 11:03 pm

And Waterloo Sunset

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:27 am

Temeraire wrote:
I am hoping for a good response to this as there is a plethora of English people on here.

Also, it goes very quiet on some threads when people on the other side of the world go to bed.

There are plenty of Welsh, Irish and Scottish people here too so I am wondering if a UK thread would be more apt? Or if separate threads would be more desirable.

I guess I will have to wait and see what others think.

Perhaps you need a British Empire thread so that the sun will never set on it.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:44 am

Biscuitman wrote:
English also used to speak with what is now an American accent. It is us English who's accents have changed over the years

I'm not sure which is the "American accent".

Years ago in grad school, I knew another grad student who told me about a prof he had in a class as an undergrad. Although the prof was blind, nobody in the class realized it until one day when he walked into the classroom and began his lecture, he started writing on the board without erasing it first. Prior to that, the board had always been erased when he walked in.

The prof had one amazing ability. From listening to you talk for less than a minute, he could usually identify where you grew up and formed your speech patterns from very accurately -- often down to the city or the county! Imagine being able to listen to someone and quickly determine whether they grew up in San Francisco or in Sacramento. Or whether they grew up in Phoenix or Tuscon. Or maybe Dallas or Fort Worth.

The grad student I knew tripped him up because he had lived in two different places while forming his speech patterns. After listening to him talk for a couple of minutes, he was able to determine one of the two towns, but not the other.

As for myself, my accent depends to at least some degree on how alert I am. At times when I am tired, my accent turns into something approaching a rather extreme southern drawl.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 4:24 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Temeraire

How did 'The Mask You live With' go?

Oh it was very well received by the ladies and we discussed some points. Unfortunately, we didn't finish watching it as food got in the way.

We will resume it next time we meet. It was quite an eye opener for some of us. It really does help one to empathise with men's issues and where they might come from. To understand a bit better what they have to deal with in life.

There is a female version somewhere and I will see if I can get hold of it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 7:35 am

America really pisses me off. Sure, they have some great tourist attractions there and there are fabulous places to explore and experience on holiday. But there are still things that annoy me. First off, whenever I watch the US Supernanny episodes, the parents always sound so calm even when they are shouting angrily at their kids. They also repeat things in the same tone, like ''come on, stop kicking me, come on, oh my God, oh my God, please, come on, stop kicking me now, that's enough, come on...'' where as an angry British parent would just yell, ''will you STOP kicking me for goodness sake!! !'' Maybe it's because most movies are American and so I'm more used to watching Americans acting while I'm more used to watching real-life scenarios of British people (like the news, UK reality shows, documentaries, etc). So when watching Americans where they're being themselves still feels like they're acting to me, even when they're not. Some parts of America have less intense accents and seem to sound truly angry when they are angry, whilst other Americans just sound so calm even when they are really angry. But there is nothing better than watching a Youtube video of an angry chavvy Essex girl screaming abuse and having a bit of a tantrum. Even just watching it makes you glad you're not there. But an American, no matter how violent and angry they are behaving, it still feels like you're watching an actor or actress on TV.

And the American humour, sorry, no offense, but that is the worst humour I have ever heard. I cannot stand American sitcoms. I got so frustrated when America did their own version of the Inbetweeners. I mean, come on, you cannot beat the British Inbetweeners. Apparently the American remake got such poor ratings that they stopped doing it.

I enjoy watching American movies and cartoons, and I seem to laugh at the humour in them. I do love the Simpsons and South Park. But I do prefer the British sitcoms and dramas. I love Outnumbered, which is a comedy-drama about an ordinary British family, and I love it because it's so relatable, but if there was an American equivalent of Outnumbered, I would not find it funny or amusing at all.

Also when coming on these forums I always feel I have to Americanise everything because I feel half the users here won't understand what I'm saying. I know they can just look up on Google what British things mean but some users are too lazy to do that and they sometimes attack the British OP for not making sense, or the whole thread derails off into a discussion about a couple of British words or slang the OP has used that is foreign to Americans. So, to make everything easier, I use words like ''we're going on vacation'' instead of ''we're going on holiday'' or ''I liked my pacifier when I was a baby'' instead of ''I liked my dummy when I was a baby'' or ''my high school days'' instead of ''my secondary school days''. Really we need a UK-USA dictionary thread that's a sticky in one of the popular subforums here so that users will know more to go to that if they don't understand British words. It seems, as a Brit, I hardly ever misunderstand American words because, after watching so many American films and reading American stuff on the internet, I kind of have learnt mostly all of the words Americans use that we don't.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 11:53 am

Joe90 wrote:
I cannot stand American sitcoms.

The only British sitcoms I ever truly appreciated were Last of the Summer Wine, To the Manor Born, and Fawlty Towers.

I do like most of the British murder mysteries I have seen, though.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:12 pm

I probably watch more american tv than anything else these days.

Not happy at all that the big bang is finishing soon here.

I quite like the sci-fi/fantasy series they put out.

Krypton was a flop with me, not just because of the english accents but it just didn't feel right. Lucky man is the same, it just don't feel right.

I do like english documentries and reality tv sometimes.

It would be really boring if we didn't have american shows here.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:22 pm

Temeraire wrote:

Krypton was a flop with me, not just because of the english accents but it just didn't feel right. Lucky man is the same, it just don't feel right.

'

You did have the Out of Town series with Jack Hargreaves (sp?)

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:40 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

'

I can't remember watching it but I am sure my grandad probably did. I was a bit young.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 4:23 pm

Temeraire wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

'

I can't remember watching it but I am sure my grandad probably did. I was a bit young.

I found a couple dozen of them on the internet a couple of years ago. I wish I could get the entire series.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 1:54 am

I prefer our comedy, American is usually too safe but I liked Rosanne and The Golden Girls. I watch mostly Brit

dramas such as Endevour, Lewis, Scott and Bailey. Mostly I read Brit stuff too but if it's a dark subject then I

read American because it feels less real and so I can sleep afterwords. And I like some American films such as The

Big Country and A Beautiful Mind. I hate Brit characters in US programs, they usually make me cringe and I often

stop watching, the exception being the Star Treks. And I don't like it when Brits say something in Brit programs

and you know that's there to make it relateable for Americans. If I watch/read American I'm partly doing so

because it's American and I think the same is true visa versa so I don't think they should do this. I think

Americans understand more than they are given credit for and I don't translate my comments for them, with

zero problems. Differences are fun.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 2:08 am

I am not much of a telly watcher but Taskmaster has me in stitches sometimes

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:49 am

Taskmaster is worth a look see. Adults bringing out their inner child. I like it.

I do watch a bit of strictly dancing and occasionally x-factor but I went off both for a while.

Downton Abbey was great and I think I am still mourning its end.

The Last Kingdom was pretty good but I also like Vikings.

Just got into The Arrow and I like it better than The Flash.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 12:53 pm

I didn't get to watch The Last Kingdom (BBC :evil: ) but I love Bernard Cornwell and I've read the first four books

of that series. He had a big gap in the middle when he was writing something else and by the time I got number five

I knew I was going to have to reread the others so I'm stockpiling them all. I like reading books in a series closeish

or at least not years apart. I'm the same with telly, I save the episodes up on ITVPlayer and watch them over a

couple of nights. I'm currently stockpiling Vanity Fair :D :D