Is it harder to learn to draw with autism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2018, 6:57 am

Well, I can't speak for everyone of course, but my main issue when it came to learning to draw, which I am still learning since I pretty much HAVE TO draw, is just that I find copying reality pretty boring. This is a common sentiment I know, but it feels much more like a job to me than doing something creative and original just from my mind. I view "copying" reality more as a trainer for the work I actually want to do, though I have much respect for artists who can specialize in that. For a very good example of the benefit of this training, look up artists creating "realistic" versions of child drawings and how they use a study of realism to combine with the abstract to make visually stunning images.

One major, major thing to consider though is that consumerist society has skewed value perceptions such that it's difficult to become a master at anything at all since it actually takes many, many years to progress if you are super serious. What I mean is that if you truly want to be the best of the best, then get ready to dedicate your entire life to it and get ready to be working many years before having something unique and of what would be considered high quality.

This totally goes against modern economics which bases success on GDP and perpetual short-term growth.

Modernity is really a double-edged sword for art in general since it can offer more options and exposure than any other time in history, at least in a "first-world" context. But, focusing on long-term artistic development can really leave one to be at the mercy of a society that is pretty antithetical to that slower paced mindset and seemingly aim-less at times exploration that is required to build up your skills and creative expression.

But, goes along with narrative of the autistic "special interest" mindset contributing to human advancement, all else be damned, so it's really nothing new. This manifestation of it follows the same trend where you have to be one of a few that pushes through, running the gauntlet of "NT" society, going against all the typical logic. And with art in particular, you can't really plan a certain career path unless you have a specific type of work that is pragmatic like illustration, and even then you're going to be facing extreme competition.

So, I can say there is one thing in particular that helped motivate me to keep at it long term and that was something I learned from a Kung Fu - TaiChi instructor. This is basically that to become a "master" at Tai Chi is said to take from 10-20 years average (according to him). It tells me that this is just what it takes for humans to achieve a certain type of mastery at an art-form no matter what the pressure is from your society or community.

To sum up the point: yes it can be difficult, but perhaps not mainly because of anything inherent to yourself. It's possibly going to be what you have to navigate around to be able to practice long enough (and practice perfectly enough) that is the biggest challenge, and overcoming those obstacles is an art-form in and of itself.

maradebaca
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 May 2018, 2:36 am

Rustifer, I enjoyed your insights. ^

I would say drawing has been a near innate talent since as long as I can remember. Obviously, practice and some training is part of the picture too, but it came pretty easy. My compulsion has always been to draw. Drawing realistically, proportions, understanding shadow relationships, perspective, etc I attribute to being interested in hyper details. I used to really love shading with pen because I liked focusing on the detail of the line work (I love albrecht durer). I think all of that I owe to autism. But it’s probably different for each persons disposition?

In art school, a strategy to hone your drawing skills was to tackle a specific aspect or technique of drawing. Ie one assignment for “blind contour,” one assignment for facial proportions, perspective, chiaroscuro, negative space etc. These short exercises and skills would add up to an overall ability to draw. knowing your materials - like what kind of paper, lead, or charcoal, different type of erasers etc I think are all good things to know in order to have a good drawing session/outcome.

Also, I don’t think realistic drawing is that hard to learn (if that’s what you’re interested in). I’ve seen kids progress momentously after 1 semester (but then again they had teachers and the luxury of time). If you can strategize and try challenging methods to exercise your spatial skills, you can probably learn pretty quickly.

Someone mentioned Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain? I heard that is a good book as well.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2018, 3:37 pm

I'd say its easier to draw with autism, since it makes you more creative

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 2:28 pm

badRobot wrote:
Embla wrote:
Interesting. I've thought that it's my autism that has made me good at drawing, because I see things as they really look like, and my drawings are not compromised by a predetermined idea of what I think it should look like - which is what often ruins many people's drawings, that they think too much about the object they are drawing, and not about what they're actually seeing.
I'm good at seeing patterns and understanding shapes, and the logical thinking helps me understand how lights and shadows falls, which is one of the most important parts of drawing.

Sure, the fine motor skills is a problem, and it's really annoying that my hand does not always fully cooperate with me. But that can pretty much be solved by just drawing bigger. Using a much larger paper, the small mistakes caused by bad fine motor skills are almost invisible.

Exactly this. Books like "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" explain this phenomenon and teach how to overcome perception bias.

It should actually be easier for some people with ASD to overcome these perception quirks, that's why some ASD artists have unbelievable abilities at drawing.

The book 'The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain'(LINK).

In Chapter 8, 'Relationships in a New Mode: Putting Sighting in Perspective' - The section, 'Formal Perspective Versus "Informal" Perspective' stood out. I've felt that much of my artwork can either illustrate a dichotomy between formal and "informal" perspectives, or illustrate what may best be described as reconciling the differences between formal and informal perspectives.

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/New-Drawing-Righ ... 3QTJ16T694

Ziemael
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2018, 2:26 am

Yes, but if you are focused on your preferred subject matter you can use it to you advantage. The secret to good drawing, painting, playing an instrument is that as an aspie nobody has to tell you to practice. You just keep doing it and outpace those who have to " try" to practice. I am in my 40's and in key with my HFA stunted EQ I finally can make $$ with my paintings. Have a wife and kids that love me. Everything is coming together but it just takes twice as long. Just stay obsessed, we have that advantage over Neuro-typics, obsession is what we are famous for, well that and being peer banned from alcohol all through school cause you knock the (hard to procure) drinks over, and you have to chew your cheek to bloody bits so you don't keep using Echos, and people thinking you are gay or asexual because you take every girls subtle innuendo literally and just watch the movie or do what the asked you do to do. Yeah that to ....

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 6:08 pm

I used to excel at drawing, especially drawing things and portraits. I've been told my technique is very good but! İ completely suck at drawing something from my mind. I can easily imagine things but putting them on paper is something i just can't do..

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 2:39 pm

badRobot wrote:
Embla wrote:
Interesting. I've thought that it's my autism that has made me good at drawing, because I see things as they really look like, and my drawings are not compromised by a predetermined idea of what I think it should look like - which is what often ruins many people's drawings, that they think too much about the object they are drawing, and not about what they're actually seeing.
I'm good at seeing patterns and understanding shapes, and the logical thinking helps me understand how lights and shadows falls, which is one of the most important parts of drawing.

Sure, the fine motor skills is a problem, and it's really annoying that my hand does not always fully cooperate with me. But that can pretty much be solved by just drawing bigger. Using a much larger paper, the small mistakes caused by bad fine motor skills are almost invisible.

Exactly this. Books like "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" explain this phenomenon and teach how to overcome perception bias.

It should actually be easier for some people with ASD to overcome these perception quirks, that's why some ASD artists have unbelievable abilities at drawing.

Any comparisons between techniques detailed in 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' and artist Johannes Vermeer's methods of applying the use of optics, mirrors to precisely guide his brush strokes?

It's been said that Vermeer cheated his way into art history through applying such non-traditional methods to create art.

A documentary 'Tim's Vermeer' discusses efforts to recreate Vermeer's environment, and artwork.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Vermeer

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 3:25 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Embla wrote:

Any comparisons between techniques detailed in 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' and artist Johannes Vermeer's methods of applying the use of optics, mirrors to precisely guide his brush strokes?

It's been said that Vermeer cheated his way into art history through applying such non-traditional methods to create art.

A documentary 'Tim's Vermeer' discusses efforts to recreate Vermeer's environment, and artwork.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Vermeer

ADDENDUM: Just updating this discussion. Has anybody applied techniques detailed in 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain,' esp. drawing from an image displayed upside-down (the upside-down image presented in gird-form)? Any comparisons drawn to artist Johannes Vermeer's methods of applying the use of optics, mirrors to best guide his artwork?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 9:44 am

Drawing on the right side of the brain is an excellent book. That's how I learned to draw. Handwriting and poor motor skills having nothing to do with the ability to draw. It's all about how you see.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 10:02 pm

My hand writing looks like a six year old's, but I still draw above averagely. I think it has more to do with adjusting to yourself and practice.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Cautious Chameleon
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2018, 6:50 pm

When I was younger, and up to my teenage years, I loved to draw. I used to get 'lost' in the picture I was creating. Sometimes the detail was so complex and minute, that I had to abandon it, making me frustrated. I think it's the autistic thing of focusing on a small part of something. I said at my assessment that I wanted to be able to 'see' the whole picture. That would be amazing. A bit like 'I saw the crescent, but you saw the whole of the moon'. Peter Gabriel ?