Ask a Traditional Catholic, ask me [almost] anything!

Page 7 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 6:16 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
I've gotta go now, like I said last time, I'm really busy at the moment with several things, including college work.

Have you got time now?

Gromit wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Yes and no, Onan's sin is but one of many reasons why the Catholic Church recognizes contraception as sinful, the main reason being the Natural Law, the purpose of sexual-intercourse is to procreate new life.

I looked up natural law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law), and it sounds like inferring biological function and then assuming that what I know as the natural fallacy is no fallacy, but a valid guide to what is right. In other words, if I know the biological function of a behavioural trait, then whatever behaviour is involved is the right thing to do?

I can see how believing in an omniscient, benevolent, honest and consistent creator can lead to the conclusion that whatever exists must be intended. I understand that to be the basis for the Catholic church's acceptance of conventional cosmology and biological evolution over young Earth creationism. If God is honest, then acts (of creation) should not contradict words, so if there seems to be a contradiction, the words might be metaphorical. Is that about right?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 7:23 pm

How can you stand having a pope? I mean all humans do and say stupid stuff, so it doesn't make sense to put a person in charge of God's church. The pope has way to much power.

And why pray to saints (If you do), I mean you can pray to God directly so I see no reason to go about it so indirectly.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 8:54 pm

Pepe wrote:
Reason is not the forte of most committed religious people...
If religious people could be reasoned with, there would be no more religious people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 9:07 pm

Arganger wrote:
How can you stand having a pope? I mean all humans do and say stupid stuff, so it doesn't make sense to put a person in charge of God's church. The pope has way to much power.
They don't seem to mind having a pope. Maybe they like having a pope. Nowadays he's more like a popular figurehead. Someone who's just there to say niceties. It's good publicity for them.

Arganger wrote:
And why pray to saints (If you do), I mean you can pray to God directly so I see no reason to go about it so indirectly.
Yeah I don't get that either.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 9:18 pm

It’s rather a form of polytheism, in my opinion, to deify saints.

Gods are converted to saints in syncretic religions like “voodoo.”