Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2018, 6:14 am

played it? most fun i've had in a while, best on very hard. 10 hours of total playtime, haven't even finished the prologue, because the hardest difficulty is actually difficult. listening to the soundtrack is enough to keep me going though, it's beautiful, and gets better as you go along. also, 2booty.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2018, 5:12 pm

Why would anyone mash a giant robot with a katana? Seems better to disintegrate/melt/blast it.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2018, 8:54 pm

It's a good EXPERIENCE but I would absolutely not play it on anything harder than normal. As far as Platinum Games is concerned, I consider the game a disappointment, it lacks the depth of a real character action game or even what I would expect from a compromised RPG system.

I'd say you're missing the point if you haven't done the prologue in ten hours, but if you're enjoying it then carry on, really... just don't burn out before you experience the whole game. Play some Bayonetta instead!

In my opinion the game is about the scenario, not the fighting. Without spoiling anything, it feels like the culmination of Yoko Taro's work with a responsive but basic combat system attached.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:43 pm

I loved the game. It was my favourite game of last year. Though I had some minor issues with it, including uneven pacing and weirdly balanced difficulty. The game was a cakewalk on normal but frustrating on hard. Also it had some technical issues.

Yokokurama
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2018, 5:22 pm

I really like the character 9s, I relate to him. I played the prolouge on Normal but have played the rest of the game so far on hard, I enjoy harder difficulties but I definitelt agree the game isn't balanced.

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Mar 2018, 5:32 pm

Yokokurama wrote:
I really like the character 9s, I relate to him. I played the prolouge on Normal but have played the rest of the game so far on hard, I enjoy harder difficulties but I definitelt agree the game isn't balanced.

it's fresh that 9s has personality, instead of being a blank self-insert. 2b is also very well-written. Playing on hard, recently finished the fight with Adam, stuck on the crab bot fight in the christian suicide cult's domain. Frustrating, but fun because of it. Lack of balance feels fresh, 1-2 hits to go down, usually.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2018, 5:02 pm

I'm enjoying it. I like the interactions between 2B and 9S and the story is worth it to me just for that. Everything else...it feels like the game thinks it's way smarter than it actually is. "Ooooh, the robots have feelings! Ooooh, what makes something human? Ooooh, who's the real monster?" It's all stuff we've heard a thousand times before.

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2018, 9:45 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
I'm enjoying it. I like the interactions between 2B and 9S and the story is worth it to me just for that. Everything else...it feels like the game thinks it's way smarter than it actually is. "Ooooh, the robots have feelings! Ooooh, what makes something human? Ooooh, who's the real monster?" It's all stuff we've heard a thousand times before.

except that most things that roll with that premise dont really go out of their way to depict the machines as humans, they just do the bare minimum to advance the story. Ghost in the Shell and A.I.(2001) are the only ones (from memory) that focus on this specific aspect. the machines are initially inhuman in appearance and behavior, but become more/more indistinguishable from humans as you learn them, spend time with them, interact with them. 2b and 9s aren't human either, but they act/look/think like them, they are flawed like them, they have insecurities, emotions, questions, interests, relationships, preferences, and needs like them, just like the machines. the game is smart, it's funny, it's meaningful. I don't know if you've played Spec-Ops: The Line, but Nier: Automata is the spiritual sequel that game made me want and need. Nier doesn't make you kill anything/anyone that isn't directly related to advancement/self-defense, you'll be underlevled, but you won't be a murderer. It doesn't expect you to always want to fight, you can race, explore, complete missions, help people for the better. The game doesn't force you to be a prick, there's no "unoptionally kill these people you don't want to, or need to, to progress the story, with your character not even batting an eye, even though you are", you can find a way to get out of a situation with minimal damage to enemies you don't want to fight, you aren't expected to murder every hostile you meet, and the only times you are is when it is completely nessesary (saving the runaway child, defending the aircraft carrier, protecting pascal, the turncoat cultists, and yourself from the suicide cult, when you are trapped by an ambush, etc), and even then, the game has shown you that this is an action to regret, you have killed these machines who most likely had thoughts, hobbies, friends of there own, but at the same time, the game gives you an opportunity to redeem, by helping people, being selfless, risking your self (and on hard, your enjoyment, if you don't think frustration is a good form of unfun). I haven't finished the game yet, but it's a religious experience, the ego death I've needed.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2018, 10:37 pm

insertgenericlewdcomment wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:

except that most things that roll with that premise dont really go out of their way to depict the machines as humans, they just do the bare minimum to advance the story. Ghost in the Shell and A.I.(2001) are the only ones (from memory) that focus on this specific aspect. the machines are initially inhuman in appearance and behavior, but become more/more indistinguishable from humans as you learn them, spend time with them, interact with them. 2b and 9s aren't human either, but they act/look/think like them, they are flawed like them, they have insecurities, emotions, questions, interests, relationships, preferences, and needs like them, just like the machines. the game is smart, it's funny, it's meaningful. I don't know if you've played Spec-Ops: The Line, but Nier: Automata is the spiritual sequel that game made me want and need. Nier doesn't make you kill anything/anyone that isn't directly related to advancement/self-defense, you'll be underlevled, but you won't be a murderer. It doesn't expect you to always want to fight, you can race, explore, complete missions, help people for the better. The game doesn't force you to be a prick, there's no "unoptionally kill these people you don't want to, or need to, to progress the story, with your character not even batting an eye, even though you are", you can find a way to get out of a situation with minimal damage to enemies you don't want to fight, you aren't expected to murder every hostile you meet, and the only times you are is when it is completely nessesary (saving the runaway child, defending the aircraft carrier, protecting pascal, the turncoat cultists, and yourself from the suicide cult, when you are trapped by an ambush, etc), and even then, the game has shown you that this is an action to regret, you have killed these machines who most likely had thoughts, hobbies, friends of there own, but at the same time, the game gives you an opportunity to redeem, by helping people, being selfless, risking your self (and on hard, your enjoyment, if you don't think frustration is a good form of unfun). I haven't finished the game yet, but it's a religious experience, the ego death I've needed.

It's a silly game with a few serious moments made by a certifiably psychotic dude.

I'm glade you're enjoying it (I am too) but a religious experience? You're taking it waaay too seriously.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 5:40 am

Wait? You're saying people shouldn't take this guy seriously?

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2018, 8:03 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Wait? You're saying people shouldn't take this guy seriously?

Remember when he was asked about the sexualized appearance of the characters, and he responded "I just really like girls"? Inspirational.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm

Yoko Taro just really wants to be asked out by girls, he's cute and naive. It might be a character he's projecting but I don't really care, he's badass

Also comparing Nier: Automata to Spec Ops is violence against me IMO

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 4:07 am

Nier: Automata is the spiritual successor to Spec Ops: The Line... I don't know if I'll ever see a more bizarre comparison in my life.

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2018, 11:11 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Nier: Automata is the spiritual successor to Spec Ops: The Line... I don't know if I'll ever see a more bizarre comparison in my life.

not directly, not in the way that dead space is for re4, soulsborne for king's field/metroidvania, etc, more like it feels like it from a personal viewpoint. maybe indirect/unintentional mental/emotional successor would be more accurate.

Brobro950
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2018, 12:25 pm

I loved the game initially, the music is amazing, but by the time I unlocked A2's playthrough I kind of lost interest and haven't gone back to it since.

Am I missing out? Should I go back and finish it?

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2018, 12:50 pm

Brobro950 wrote:
I loved the game initially, the music is amazing, but by the time I unlocked A2's playthrough I kind of lost interest and haven't gone back to it since.

Am I missing out? Should I go back and finish it?

if you're burnt out, then you're burnt out. question though, the game doesn't end once you defeat

spoiler//

eve

end spoiler//

, does it? currently stuck on that fight, and i'm hesitant to finish it because it feels too much like a rush-to-the-ending-with-no-warnings-or-answers (like aliens colonial marines) kind of thing to be safe.