Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2018, 8:27 am

In Ukraine most autistic people don't receive a diagnosis, apart from ''low functioning'' children. Not much governmental support. Misdiagnosed as schizophrenic.

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2018, 8:52 am

smudgedhorizon wrote:
In Ukraine most autistic people don't receive a diagnosis, apart from ''low functioning'' children. Not much governmental support. Misdiagnosed as schizophrenic.

Isn't Olga Bogdashina from Ukraine?

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2018, 2:01 pm

That's absolutely true. The fact is, people like her are in great demand and are a rarity.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 4:23 pm

smudgedhorizon wrote:
That's absolutely true. The fact is, people like her are in great demand and are a rarity.

Really? :mrgreen:

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2018, 4:52 pm

^^^That's not funny. Why that green smiley face? Kids grow and their parents wonder, what's wrong. Oh, it's nothing, says the local paediatrist. Finally, they find out the child is autistic and needs special education and speech therapy. If people knew more about autism, that wouldn't be the issue. I know a woman, she has a daughter ≈ 5 years old. She found her own centre for sensory integration because of the lack of such services. Her daughter's making great progress, started walking&talking. I hope you just missused the smilie, because green smiley face looks like laughter, and that's not funny.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2018, 4:56 pm

But do you mean treated by doctors or treated by society?

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 7:03 am

apus apus wrote:
But do you mean treated by doctors or treated by society?

For the second, other people usually gave sh.. on us, i know some people with almost non noticeable autism and prefer to hold that information for themselves, better than other people look on us as harmless eccentric than admit that have autism.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 7:36 am

In the UK I think it must vary greatly because I have read on here people who are in their late twenties who were diagnosed as children, for me I was in special needs when I was young and in the top sets when I was older yet never even heard of high functioning autism or aspergers until I was hospitalised after a suicide attempt apparently I was diagnosed with Aspergers at this time but only found this out yesterday (9 years later) when I went for a PIP assessment. I think all societies treat people who are abnormal terribly I just hope future generations will not be failed the same way I was.