Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 3:20 am

I tend towards pessimism generally speaking.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 3:36 am

Neither, I'm a realist.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 4:00 am

Raptor wrote:
Neither, I'm a realist.

seconded

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 6:42 am

“I am not a pessimist.
Just a well informed optimist.”

― Antonio Gala

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 6:45 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
“I am not a pessimist.

― Antonio Gala

"Do you know what's the difference between a pessimist and an optimist? A pessimist thinks things can't be worse. An optimist knows they can."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 7:43 am

Depends on the day.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 8:04 am

Raptor wrote:
Neither, I'm a realist.

Same...
By taking one's rose coloured glasses off, one sees the real world...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

Tequila wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
“I am not a pessimist.

― Antonio Gala

"Do you know what's the difference between a pessimist and an optimist? A pessimist thinks things can't be worse. An optimist knows they can."

A pessimist spends time thinking about and expecting the worst possible outcome. Pessimists try to think of ways why the worst possible outcome they can think of is too optimistic. An optimist thinks things will work out in the end.

I am a pessimist by nature but a lot less so then when I was younger because the worst possible outcome I was expecting did not happen many times.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 1:00 pm

It's a joke that I originally heard in No Man's Land. A powerful and touching film set in the Bosnian War.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 1:11 pm

I am definitely a "glass half empty" person who sees the world through smoke-colored glasses. People have lectured time and time again about being too negative, especially my mother who is quite the optimist, but how can I not be, seeing the way the world is and how my life has been? Also pessimism is a symptom of depression so it's not like I'm entirely this way by choice.

I'm such a pessimist that sometimes I'll see I really cool coffee mug and buy it, but I'm afraid to drink out of it because I might break it (it's happened before), so I'll just use it as a pencil holder instead. :?

Andrewdarr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2018, 1:44 pm

I catastrophize over everything that goes even slightly wrong, so probably a pessimist? I think it's more than pessimism, in my case. It's rampant paranoia. I literally imagine the absolute worst-case scenario (a second holocaust, global disasters, social and political changes making my life impossible, etc.) at the slightest hint of anything going wrong. Anything can set it off: "My dog threw up on the carpet! What if she dies? Oh wait... I can take her to the vet. What if antibiotics stop working and she dies?! What if I lose my benefits and I can't afford to keep her healthy?! What if my carpet goes mouldy and I can't replace it and I die of a horrible dog-transmitted disease?! WHAT IF-" And so on.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 1:47 pm

Realist would probably describe me better aswell, but I do think the term realist, falls on the pessimistic side of the spectrum, as optimism is by definition, idealistic.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 7:00 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I am definitely a "glass half empty" person who sees the world through smoke-colored glasses. People have lectured time and time again about being too negative, especially my mother who is quite the optimist, but how can I not be, seeing the way the world is and how my life has been? Also pessimism is a symptom of depression so it's not like I'm entirely this way by choice.

Some pessimists are happy to be so so, if the worst happens, they are emotionally prepared for it...
lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm such a pessimist that sometimes I'll see I really cool coffee mug and buy it, but I'm afraid to drink out of it because I might break it (it's happened before), so I'll just use it as a pencil holder instead. :?

<lostonearth35 accidentally nudges the pencil holder off the table onto the tiled floor>
<he starts to wonder if he is being affected by: "The children of the damned"...>
<do do do do...>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pJdejSLPFc

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 7:03 pm

"Pessimism is just a higher form of optimism. Go through life expecting absolutely nothing from people, and you'll always be pleasantly surprised." --The Innkeepers

^ This.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 8:45 pm

I'm a pessimist, because I believe that the worst globally/politically/economically is yet to come. I really want to pray, but I feel that gods that be have a different outcome for the plans of this world. I was raised in a religion, and I just don't want to have anything to do with life or existence after death at all, or if so, I wouldn't want interaction with any other soul and enjoy all to myself. I feel punished and like I was born into society "too late". My age group will probably be the first-and-last to inevitably face a nuclear war and all horrible things. Also I'm no ultra-conservative as much as I'm angry at the political left, but I've always heard warnings about things getting worse because of how the left is today. I've even been told by 70s-or-80s folks that "I don't have to worry about anything because I'm 78, but I do worry for my kids and grandkids." I just wish for peace and bliss. I just want my eternal fate to be in eternal bliss by myself or maybe a couple other people.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 8:47 pm

I'd say I'm a realist with pessimistic tendencies.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"